Where to Start: Building a Motor

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
What are some good resources for info on building motors?

Like, a compilation of links?

Right now I'm wanting to replace pistons and connecting rods on the Stock 2006 3v 4.6L.

Is this something AM or Jegs or Summit carries? Doesn't seem like it..

I think a place with all kinds of links would be a good thing to have here for others who are wanting internal upgrades (bolt ons only take one so far....)

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What are some good resources for info on building motors?

Like, a compilation of links?

Right now I'm wanting to replace pistons and connecting rods on the Stock 2006 3v 4.6L.

Is this something AM or Jegs or Summit carries? Doesn't seem like it..

I think a place with all kinds of links would be a good thing to have here for others who are wanting internal upgrades (bolt ons only take one so far....)

Search. There are a few build threads that are about doing forged rods and pistons. The motors are holding up to 700rwhp, none have failed. It's not complicated at all.

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Search. There are a few build threads that are about doing forged rods and pistons. The motors are holding up to 700rwhp, none have failed. It's not complicated at all.

I'm more concerned with where to shop for parts.....Not so worried about finding help/info on installation.

I was just going through your custom piston thread. I guess I'll start there

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with where to shop for parts.....Not so worried about finding help/info on installation.

I was just going through your custom piston thread. I guess I'll start there

There are some deals floating around. What do you have planned for compression?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I would just pick up a set of off the shelf pistons made for boost if your cylinders all look good. You can get a nice set of CP for under $900. Rings will be another $200-$250 ballpark if you gap them yourself. The stock crank is pretty beefy too, so unless over 600 I dont think I would even change it. ARP fasteners add up quick and mandatory. You should seek a rod that was DESIGNED for ARP 2000 fasteners. The strength of the rod is in the bolts..

Stock MLS gaskets are just fine too

If your cylinders need work then make sure your builder has torque plates for BOTH banks and the caps should all be torqued to spec prior to boring/honing. This is NO myth.. these motors flex BIG time but pretty easy other than that.

You really won't know what to do with pistons/rings till you have an idea what your cylinders are doing.

Normally, it is MUCH faster to just buy a block and build it in the mean time. Shortblocks are out there for $700-$800. You can recover most of that when you are done by selling yours. That is what I would do to eliminate a bunch of down time

I would resource local shops with good rep as sometimes they can get you better deals. My machinist that did all the prep to my block was a CP and ARP vendor. I paid about the same as online but atleast he would have delt with shipping issues etc.. plus I would rather a local guy make a little money vs paying the same online

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
And on the flip side of that are my builds which haven't been torque plate honed, use tty fasteners, 4032 pistons with tight piston to bore clearance, and have held power just fine.

I didn't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. Ford has great success with boosted mod motors. I did it the easy way and followed the specs that Ford engineers came up with.

Here's the specs for the 5.4 GT500 just to give you and idea of how tight Ford has made the clearances. The pressed rods are always what gives on these motors, at around 725rwhp.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=168&viewfile=SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
Normally, it is MUCH faster to just buy a block and build it in the mean time. Shortblocks are out there for $700-$800. You can recover most of that when you are done by selling yours. That is what I would do to eliminate a bunch of down time

This is what I had in mind. Since I'll be busy with my job, I am thinking that building one on a stand a piece at time is going to be the way to go. That way I'm not rushed. I want it to be a fun project (tinkering is my hobby), one where I'm not stressed because I "can't get the car on the road before [such and such date]"

The pressed rods are always what gives on these motors

I've heard this about the 4.6L 3v, too. That's why I've been considering replacing them.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Stock crank, tty hardware in my engine and It is doing just fine at 750+ rwtq

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of shopping at modmax for my ongoing build. Rods, pistons, bearings, side, main, crank, and flywheel bolts all came from them.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
There is a new set of standard stroke H beam rods on SVT forum. New in box and I "THINK" they had ARP 2000 rod bolts. They are actually a "MMR" rod which is just a repackaged Manley. I would never buy directly from MMR or anything that they actually make.. just me tho.

I would still ask the seller if they are in fact ARP2000 rod bolts and get pics etc if interested.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...947342-mmr-900-rods-bnib-standard-stroke.html

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back