Why do I hate lanesplitting? (CA)

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Because of this...

And this...

And let's not forget this

Long story short....It's bumper to bumper traffic at 5pm on Friday in Socal. I had an opening to switch lanes, blinker on for three flashes before making a change around 5mph....and BAM, this crotch rocket skates across my car doing about 30. Lucky for him he kept the bike up and had no injuries besides needing a new pair of underwear I'm sure. He had a gopro rolling at the time of the accident and it definitively shows him lane splitting and driving too fast for the traffic around him. Insurance called me today and informed me that this was entirely his fault. In the meantime I've got an Audi A3 until the Mustang is road ready again.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Legal or not lane splitting is idiotic, to be honest I can't believe it's legal anywhere in this country.

As a former motorcycle rider I can tell you without question that I'd never, ever split lanes. It's bad enough dealing with cars in normal situations.

-Steve

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
I always keep my head on a swivel...unfortunately this was terrible timing as I'm about to sideline the Mustang for weekend fun car duties and pick up a daily to beat on. His bike had some scratches on the faring, some damage to his foot pegs and maybe bent his handlebar a little. My damage was around $2,200 so I'm sure he didn't have all that much done to it. Either way this could have ended 100x worse had he laid the bike down so I'm thankful for that much at least.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I will split lanes for one or two cars to get to a turn lane or something. But to just cruise for miles between lanes, hell no! It's definitely a short distance maneuver and you better be reading the movements of every single car that is in a position to kill you.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like a squid to me. Glad everyone's OK though. I have a hard enough time getting cars to respect my space while I'm on a bike to even think about lanesplitting. I've been known to ride the white line to get to a turn lane too, but that's where I draw the line.

At least you'll get clean wheels out of the deal though :gr_grin:

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Haha I'm embarrassed...Usually she's detailed within an inch of her life, that's also including removing the wheels to detail between every wash. I'd actually had a bit of brake fluid leak on that exact wheel so hey, no more gray spots!

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting, same thing happened to me, going about the same speed except I was on the bike and the CHP found the driver at fault. I wasn't exactly lane splitting at that moment because there was obviously no car in my lane with me. I was riding close to the right side of the lane however. I wasn't as lucky as your fellow. I got knocked down, sustained numerous bumps and bruises as well as a sprained neck. To add insult to injury, my motorcycle was totaled.

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
I was in LA on vacation for a few weeks this summer to visit my son. Those lane splitting bikes on the highways were really common place; and a culture shock to me from the driving here in eastern PA. I gotta think there are a lot of accidents like this. Those guys are nuts.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I was in LA on vacation for a few weeks this summer to visit my son. Those lane splitting bikes on the highways were really common place; and a culture shock to me from the driving here in eastern PA. I gotta think there are a lot of accidents like this. Those guys are nuts.

You have to wonder if the guys splitting lanes are taking tourists that are unfamiliar with lane splitting into consideration.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
i don't lane split simply becoz it's already dangerous enuf as is. i've had people at intersections look me dead in the face an still try to run over me. same type person would open their door if they saw me comin up lane splittin.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Update:

Just got off the phone with the body shop. So about a month ago I ordered a set of new Continental Extreme DW's from Discount Tire direct and had them mounted by a local Firestone shortly after. I picked the car up after work and made the short drive home. Next morning I drove the car to work, but when I got out I noticed the tire was nearly flat. Luckily with Firestone being so close I had it over there shortly after and had them look at the wheel. They determined there was no tire leak, filled it with air, and had me on my way. The body shop said then they were taking my damaged rim off, there was considerable damage to the sidewall of the tire, rubber dust inside the tire, and they would not put the tire back on the car for safety reasons. So now I have a new (now worthless) tire that Firestone installed, didn't install properly, and clearly didn't inspect the inside of the tire when I had it back at their shop, thus putting me in danger for a blowout or other damage. As soon as I get the car back with my sweet donut on the other wheel, I'm going straight to Firestone. The insurance company is going to write a statement with assessment of the damage, pictures, etc. Do you think I will be able to get Firestone to replace the tire under these circumstances?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
That's a dumb ass move, people wonder why bikers get a bad name.
fuckin retards, I see this shit everyday.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Been exactly where you have been. Here is a tip. DO NOT LET YOUR INSURANCE OR HIS INSURANCE TELL YOU THEY WANT TO "BLEND" THE PAINT. Make them respray the whole car on the riders dime. Believe me. Tungsten grey and mineral grey are almost impossible to blend and never match right. It isn't like white or red or a solid base color. They come out a different shade even if you are using high quality paint and a very skilled painter. Mine is in mineral grey and I got hit similar to yours last year by a semi-truck and his insurance wanted to blend it. The shop I took it too was really good and it still came out not to my liking. I had them respray and threatened to take his insurance to court. They caved and paid for the whole thing. $4K+ including a new wheel that is including a nice discount because they sponsor the football team at the high school at work at.

As far as lane splitting goes I had a training officer years ago who HATED lane splitting with such a passion he would write up anyone he saw doing it. Last I checked there are over 4000 things in the California vehicle code book to write someone up for so you can find something to write someone up for.

Last edited:

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
Numerous studies have shown that lane-splitting is actually safer than staying in the lane and there are a number of states considering allowing it, among them Texas and Washington. Sure I got knocked off but my injuries were really minor compared to getting rear-ended and squished between two cars. Years ago when traffic suddenly stopped in front of me from normal 65-70 MPH speeds, I decided to slip between lanes and brake more lightly. Just as I did that the car that had been behind me rear-ended the car that I had been following. I shudder to think....

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'll bet you're more likely to piss a driver off when you drive like lines don't apply to you.
Only takes one angry asshole to decide to murder you and he won't be at fault.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Numerous studies have shown that lane-splitting is actually safer than staying in the lane and there are a number of states considering allowing it, among them Texas and Washington. Sure I got knocked off but my injuries were really minor compared to getting rear-ended and squished between two cars. Years ago when traffic suddenly stopped in front of me from normal 65-70 MPH speeds, I decided to slip between lanes and brake more lightly. Just as I did that the car that had been behind me rear-ended the car that I had been following. I shudder to think....

I have heard of this study. It's hard to believe, but in your case, I guess it makes sense.

I have family that live in southern CA, and the first time I witnessed lane splitting on a visit out there, I about flipped my lid! I still can't imagine this being legal.

Sorry to hear about this, OP. Hope they get everything right for you.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I have heard of this study. It's hard to believe, but in your case, I guess it makes sense.

I have family that live in southern CA, and the first time I witnessed lane splitting on a visit out there, I about flipped my lid! I still can't imagine this being legal.

Sorry to hear about this, OP. Hope they get everything right for you.

Just to put some exposure content, I guess I should have added that I've been riding and lane splitting since I began riding in 1968 (yeah I'm an old phart) and this off I had a little over 2 years ago is the first time I've had a problem. I ride about 20,000 miles a year, including a daily 92 mile round trip commute.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back