Wideband gauge opinions

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get opinions on this and also looking for recommendations.

Do you guys think it is stupid to get a wideband since I will be remote tuning my car and it will never see a dyno tune?

Would you guys suggest AEM / Autometer or are there less expensive options that are just as good?

How hard is an install?

gray1622

forum member
Reaction score

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It depends.
You need a decent wideband for a proper remote tune. If it is just basic bolt-ons, a mail order tune will probably get you close enough and if that is the case, save your money.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
^ not always. I've seen everything.

If you want an usual good value thing, AEM is the cheapest and works. A little slow but works.

If you have aeroforce gauges, just need a controller, theirs is terrible. Stay away from glow shift stuff.

Best of the low end widebands is the NGK AFX with a NTK sensor.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
My innovate was about $160 with the sensor, controller, and gauge. It works very well imo. Prior to that I had a aeroforce that crapped out within a year. The controller is what went bad so it would of been a few more hundred to stay with them.

You can also go with a plx gauge and add a wideband to it.

Here's a link to the Innovate LC-1. $156 new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-LC...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f132d0645&vxp=mtr

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Despite what Lito said about Aeroforce and their wideband I've had mine for a few years now and no problems. Matter of fact, I just completed my WOT street tune with Jon Lund and everything was perfect.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Aren't you not supposed to keep a wide band sensor in 24/7?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
AEM and Innovate both make excellent products.

Aren't you not supposed to keep a wide band sensor in 24/7?

Interesting that you brought that up. Wideband sensors are very vulnerable to corrosion. So the problem is that if they're not installed in a particular orientation or location, moisture can build up on them, corrode them, and render them useless. Installing the sensor in the correct orientation and the correct location allows you to have them installed at all times.

Heck, my 2011 has TWO wideband sensors from the factory.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Oh I know that but in the instructions that come with some wide band kits it tells you it will last longer if just used for "checking" not 24/7.

I was just thinking, don't they come OEM anyway? lol maybe different models aren't made for 24/7 duty?

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I just put this AEM WiFi wideband in, not sure about this one yet. Checked the install a few times just to make sure it's correct. Problem it seems to display more variation up and back vs the wired in version. My tuner looked it over and wasn't impressed, thought that maybe being WiFi the sampling rate was less than spectacular.

I've only been testing it during normal driving, will be comparing the numbers between what this and what the dyno reads this Saturday. Maybe not the best wideband to buy... will see.

Cq5j8Wt.jpg

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
AEM and Innovate both make excellent products.

Interesting that you brought that up. Wideband sensors are very vulnerable to corrosion. So the problem is that if they're not installed in a particular orientation or location, moisture can build up on them, corrode them, and render them useless. Installing the sensor in the correct orientation and the correct location allows you to have them installed at all times.

Heck, my 2011 has TWO wideband sensors from the factory.

Yeah they should be installed anywhere between to the 10 and 2 o'clock position. This keeps the condensation running down the tip of the sensor instead of traveling up the sensor and damaging it.

Oh I know that but in the instructions that come with some wide band kits it tells you it will last longer if just used for "checking" not 24/7.

I was just thinking, don't they come OEM anyway? lol maybe different models aren't made for 24/7 duty?

Well certainly it will last longer that way. Even leaving it in all the time it should last a good long while though.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I've never heard that before. My only experience was with the pos Aeroforce controller and two innovates that worked and still work perfect. I sold the first one when I was parting my car out.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Despite what Lito said about Aeroforce and their wideband I've had mine for a few years now and no problems. Matter of fact, I just completed my WOT street tune with Jon Lund and everything was perfect.

The problem with their wideband is how it behaves (I really think their controller is the same as the glowshift as they worked exactly the same), it works by stages, like it did not have any real resolution, it produces an stair type output usually.

lito

forum member
Reaction score

If you leave it in the box, it will last forever!!!!

If you want the sensor to last a little longer you can add some kind of washer heatsink.

My innovate was about $160 with the sensor, controller, and gauge. It works very well imo. Prior to that I had a aeroforce that crapped out within a year. The controller is what went bad so it would of been a few more hundred to stay with them.

You can also go with a plx gauge and add a wideband to it.

Here's a link to the Innovate LC-1. $156 new. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-LC...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f132d0645&vxp=mtr

My local customers has not been very lucky with their sensors. I stock them for my LM2 and sold a couple, on the other hand, Dysan has one and has worked well for a long time, but now I think he had to replace it once already.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I've been running a PLX for a few years. The only issue I have is it "sticks" once in a while. Not too bad at part throttle, but heart stopping under boost.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back