Window paint

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
If you think thinner will take off the clear and paint underneath on a catalized paint system you need to get your facts straight. Laquer thinner will take it off with ease and unless you take a gallon of it and rub it in the same spot for an hour its not going to do a thing to the clear coat. Put a tiny bit on a paper towel and lightly wipe the shoe polish off. Then if it leaves any haze grab some compound or polish and do it by hand will come right back to life.

Senator

Dude...Seriously?
Reaction score
If you think thinner will take off the clear and paint underneath on a catalized paint system you need to get your facts straight. Laquer thinner will take it off with ease and unless you take a gallon of it and rub it in the same spot for an hour its not going to do a thing to the clear coat. Put a tiny bit on a paper towel and lightly wipe the shoe polish off. Then if it leaves any haze grab some compound or polish and do it by hand will come right back to life.

Over-exageration it was, easy there killer.
Have you seen the car in person? I have. The clear coat is wearing thin on this car as it is.

I would not recommend laquer or paint thinner as something to "see" if it will come off.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Okay use alcohol or wax and grease remover. I haven't seen the car in person. But if its wearing thin then why would someone use a machine polisher on it. That would be the quickest way to delaminate a really thin clear coat as the heat generated from it would cause it to fail an flake off. I dont think Ive seen any s197s have any paint failures except the corrosion that Ive seen on the hoods

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score

Lacquer thinner is a big NO No!!! regular paint thinner/mineral spirits won't hurt the paint,but an automotive catalyst paint thinner will mess it up. Lacquer thinner will mess it up bad too! Did air brush painting for over 25 yrs,trust me I know.. Goo Gone in liquid form is good for removing the marker..but long as it's been on the car, it's going to be hard to remove.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I paint several cars a year. Laquer thinner will absolutely not eat through an automotive 2k clear coat unless it is completely saturated and lays on there. If you poor laquer on a rag and wipe it across it will literally dry before you can touch it with your hand. I have a 40k brand new truck sitting outside and if someone want to take a bet I will film me opening a brand new can of premium grade laquer thinner and wiping my fender off.

If you have not sprayed a catalized clear coat over the paint and let the clear cure then sure it will mess the paint up or if you soak a rag and continuously wipe over the same spot over and over and rewetting the rag it will finally break down the clear coat.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Hell the 09 mustang I did I painted everything except the hood and trunk. Somehow ended up with a ton of overspray on the hood and trunk and I mean a lot Instead of sanding and buffing the factory paint I used several rags and laquer and it too a lot of effort but finally removed all the overspray without causing any paint under the factory clear to wrinkle or break through any factory clear. Then I just took some menzerna and hit it with a meguiars yellow pad looked like new again.

If you dont understand the process then dont do it. Again if you were to soak something in thinner and continually wipe and wipe in the same spot it will eventually start removing the clear. So to be safe I will say dont do it because no offense some people may not have a clue and decide to take a pump sprayer and start soaking there car down with the stuff and using a brush on it who the hell knows.

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My clear coat is fucked as is , it really is .

anu4umed.jpg

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I used Goo-Gone to get it off the paint on the Dodge Truck I used to own. And there wasn't ANY clear left on it either. After the Goo-Gone, this one, I used some alcohol swabs to remove the residue and then followed that up with a good wash.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
i agree with muztangman93. i deal with automotive finishes everyday. thinner used sensibly will not hurt a finish, unless its a cheapo aftermarket gypsy paint job.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
Well if its a laquer painted car thin thinner will remelt the finish causing big problems also thinner will remove an uncleared base. On almost every oem paint job it is a base and clear that is baked on very durable.

Some cars still use single stage paints though

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back