Winning never tasted soooo good...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need to find a forum where other S197 owners and myself can swap ideas and information about these cars. lol I'll pen a new thread over in the approriate section to see if anyone else can chime in. John mentioned something about bubbles in the fluid. I've also read that the low fluid problem feeds on it's self. I've also been told that the 5R55s will not engage the gears when the fluid is too low. Hell, oops, heck, could have been a mixture of any/all of the above.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:popcorneat:

(in case y'all haven't picked up on it yet, this is my favorite smiley)

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
JI've also read that the low fluid problem feeds on it's self. I've also been told that the 5R55s will not engage the gears when the fluid is too low.
Yup and yup - that's why the deep pans work - more fluid, longer time between when any given subset of the fluid is in the pan (cooling) vs being squished (heated) in the guts of the trans...

That's why its nice to check the the fluid level and consistency regula... DOH!:thud:

WTF? Why did they remove the dipstick? Even toyotas that never need any service (HAH!) have a !@#$ing dipstick...

Dopes! That's it - I am driving a stick - oh cool - I already made that decision... Well in that case - have fun stormin' the castle...

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup and yup - that's why the deep pans work - more fluid, longer time between when any given subset of the fluid is in the pan (cooling) vs being squished (heated) in the guts of the trans...

That's why its nice to check the the fluid level and consistency regula... DOH!:thud:

WTF? Why did they remove the dipstick? Even toyotas that never need any service (HAH!) have a !@#$ing dipstick...

Dopes! That's it - I am driving a stick - oh cool - I already made that decision... Well in that case - have fun stormin' the castle...

Not to mention that with more oil volume there is a greater heat exchange going on, which *should* keep everything cooler...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that with more oil volume there is a greater heat exchange going on, which *should* keep everything cooler...
Well I did mention it, but I used too many words as usual... :samuri:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man, if and when I switch jobs, I'm going to be 120% busier...and NO WAY I'll be able to post as much as I do now...:tdown:

But, there'll be more $$ for upgrades...:thumb:

Sorry for the hijack, Mr Roper.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Take her back to the track tomorrow night and check her out?
Hmmmmm... are you already resigned to a total tranny replacement anyway? If so, why not.

But, if you think this one is salvagable, then I wouldn't do it.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"Salvageable" is the query. I really have no idea what to do. My parents used to say that I was encourage able, so encourage me. If all goes well during the commute tomorrow, she's going to the track. I'll just be sure and pack some extra clothes, Gatorade, MREs and a sleeping bag in the trunk. If I bust it real good, I'll get her towed home and order the new transmission. If she manages to survive, the new tranny pan gets ordered.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"Salvageable" is the query. I really have no idea what to do. My parents used to say that I was encourage able, so encourage me. If all goes well during the commute tomorrow, she's going to the track. I'll just be sure and pack some extra clothes, Gatorade, MREs and a sleeping bag in the trunk. If I bust it real good, I'll get her towed home and order the new transmission. If she manages to survive, the new tranny pan gets ordered.
That sounds like a plan AND removes doubt about where you're headed and what you're going to do......is there any redundancy in what I just wrote?

:popcorneat:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Ford had too many warranty claims from people putting the wrong fluid in the tranny so simple fix, make it impossible for the costumers to check their fluid levels and add fluid. Typical pencil pusher correction that penalizes everyone for a problem caused by a few idiots.

Earl

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Take her back to the track tomorrow night and check her out?
Absolutely - though I should point out - you might be asking the wrong crowd in that we don't have to pay for it - you do!:makeadeal:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford had too many warranty claims from people putting the wrong fluid in the tranny so simple fix, make it impossible for the costumers to check their fluid levels and add fluid. Typical pencil pusher correction that penalizes everyone for a problem caused by a few idiots.
Yes - welcome to the next 20 yrs of Amerika - we can't be trusted to change the 710 by our selves...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back