Winning never tasted soooo good...

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
First, congrats on a great outing! As for the trans, I don't remember offhand if you have the deep pan with the dipstick, but you may want to check your trans fluid level, even if it means crawling under the car. The symptoms you're describing sound a LOT like low fluid level. It's easy enough to check, and if it winds up being a burned-up trans, at least you gave the cheap way out a shot...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. The car seemed ok yesterday but I went ahead and made an appt fo 9 this morning. Last night I put on Bingo's race cans, dropped the car, fired it up and no gear anywhere, forward or reverse. Tried to get a tow so I could still make the appt and nobody was answering the damn phones. Tried to call Ford to tell them I would be late, fricken voicemail. Jumped in the wife's car and drove over to Ford, it was like a ghost town. Finally found a service writer, told him I had an appt but couldn't find a way to get the car moved. He didn't believe me that I couldn't reach someone to tow it. I then noticed a 24 hr tow number on one of the courtesy shuttles, told him I would try that. As I dialed the number he walked away saying "just get it here when you can, it's not like we were going to be able to work on it today anyway". Just as I was about to ask him why the hell I made an appt when wow, someone answered the phone, we start exchanging info and then he tells me $170. 3 mile tow? What the FUCK? I was now back in my wife's car headed back to the house when I heard that and told him nevermind. Got home, tried the car again, no luck. Finally found another tow that is headed over within the hour, $80. And I may get to finish that conversation with the service writer...

BTW, if this is only a fluid level or sensor problem, I'll be snatching up a trans pan w/stick pretty quick. Anyone found the best deal on them?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Update: Ford just called, said they started the car and it ran fine, no problems in any gear. He said "We took it down to Stockton (11 miles away) um, I mean 8 Mile Road (3 miles away) and it ran like a champ. We went to move it again just now and none of the gears are working". I asked him if he checked the trans fluid and he said he couldn't "because it's a sealed system and there is no dipstick". NO FUCKING SHIT! These guys are out joy riding in my fucking car and no one has done a damn thing to it all day.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no one has done a damn thing to it all day.
That's not entirely true - they have reproduced your symptoms...

With intermittent auto transmission problems, I have found with Ford that this is 90% of the battle... Once they decide there is something wrong - they just replace it...

hopefully the "A" team comes back on Monday....

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I realize that "Verify Customer's Concern" is Job 1. The flatbed that the car showed up on should have given them a clue. My copy of the write up states "Manual Transmission: Customer states car will not go into 3rd gear". That shows me how much the guy was paying attention when I told him what was going on with the car.

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ford just called, my fluid looks like rootbeer syrup. I told him I would have known that if Ford had put a fricken dipstick on the car. He commented that with 51,000 miles on the car I must do alot of drag racing.

Anyway, he said it was up to me, I could pay for a tear-down or whatever. I asked if they checked the fluid level before they pulled the pan, he thought about it and said "Yes, probably".

I asked him to put the pan back on and refill the tranny and call me when it's done.

Oh shit, I didn't tell them to refill it with new fluid!!!!!!!!! I gotta make a phone call...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He commented that with 51,000 miles on the car I must do alot of drag racing.
In my experience - drag cars don't really rack up the miles very quickly - going 1/4 at a time and all... I woulda called him on that one:samuri:

"Yes, probably".
Can you feel the confidence being instilled?

Sorry - sounds like you cooked the fluid "real good"... On the bright side you'll need a new transmission:kill:

All sarcasm aside - that blows - I feel for you...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In my experience - drag cars don't really rack up the miles very quickly - going 1/4 at a time and all... I woulda called him on that one:samuri:

Can you feel the confidence being instilled?

Sorry - sounds like you cooked the fluid "real good"... On the bright side you'll need a new transmission:kill:

All sarcasm aside - that blows - I feel for you...

LOL, thanks. Quarter mile with a half mile shutdown and the following return road trip can really rack up those miles. I'm hoping the new fluid buys me some time, at least past Wednesday when I get my last shot at Lostsoul before he goes to DRs and a smaller pulley. My blower money is evolving right before my very eyes...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
That sucks Stanley. Makes me wonder how mine has held together so long.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL, thanks. Quarter mile with a half mile shutdown and the following return road trip can really rack up those miles. I'm hoping the new fluid buys me some time, at least past Wednesday when I get my last shot at Lostsoul before he goes to DRs and a smaller pulley. My blower money is evolving right before my very eyes...
Got that AAA card warmed up for the free tow this time?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
...Well that and Stanley has been rowing the stick on his auto re-enacting a scene from the fast&the furious...

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to manually shift. I kept it in first for the burnouts so the car didn't shift. God likes me and he will make sure my car is OK so there.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I wasn't trying to manually shift. I kept it in first for the burnouts so the car didn't shift. God likes me and he will make sure my car is OK so there.

Don't take this the wrong way... but I've met you -- you're in deep doodoo.
"Faith based auto repair"! Where's my patenting stick - I gotta get in on that business...

"Bless me father its been 6100 miles since my last oil change:
- I had impure thoughts about the scantily clad car-show model
- I took the lord's name in vein - well pretty much once a minute for an hour while replacing my UCA
- I coveted the viper my neighbor just bought in a moment of weakness"

"Bless you son - for penance, you must drive in the right lane for the next 300 miles no faster than the posted speed limit and I want you to think about what you have done".

Yeah - that's right I'm gonna burn...:onfire:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm just being tested. Ford called again, how nice of them. They asked if tomorrow afternoon was going to be a problem. I stated "Yes, that would be a problem. A few hours ago I stated I wanted you to put the pan back on it and re-fill the tranny". Then I got the blah-blah-blah we've been at this for over seven hours. I called bullshit (forgive me Lord) and asked him to explain "exactly what took 7 hours, the joy-ride?". He didn't like that.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I called bullshit (forgive me Lord)
You are forgiven...

and asked him to explain "exactly what took 7 hours, the joy-ride?". He didn't like that.
Apparently, it took 7 hours for someone to suggest checking the fluid... You can't rush artistry like that... It'll take what it takes... :thud:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back