Would like opinions for new wheels....

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
So the wheels I have now aren't bad at all. Too much detail work with them though. I love chrome wheels, but these things are a PITA to clean and polish as often as I like to do them. Not only that, I want more of a staggard look to my setup. The thing is though, I'm having a hard time deciding which wheels to go with.

I do not like bullet wheels. Of any kind. I also do not like the FR500's or the Cobra GT500 wheels.

I have brand new 19" rubber and will stay with 19" wheels. This limits my options quite a bit though. Later on when we get settled in Florida, I may want to get back into 1/4 running, so I will use a different set of wheels/tires for that.

I love the RTR's, but that's too much money.

I like the 2010 GT500 wheels in chrome. Fronts are 19x8.5 and rears are 19x10. Only downside for me is there isn't a lip at all on these. But with the design and the way it will fill up my wheel wells compared to the wheels I have now, I'm not overly upset over the lack of a lip.

The only other wheel that I like in the 19" size are the Ford Racing Boss 302 style wheels at CJ Pony Parts. Many of you will probably like these better than the chrome ones since they are black with a machined face and my car is red. If I could find out how much each wheel weighs, that would help. But they don't list that for some reason.

Which wheel would you pick and why? Any other suggestions? $250 per wheel is my absolute maximum. However, I would prefer something in the $200 range. I know I can sell my current wheels locally. They only cost me $99 each when new, which is why I jumped on them so quickly, so I know I can break even or even make a little off of them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Those Ford Racing Boss 302 Style wheels are nice! I think they would go great on your car. Or even the new RTR's, being your in the range fore a 19" rim..

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
I like black rims on a red car . I'am in the market also for a new set . I want a light weight wheel in a 18'' hard to fine without spending a bundle of cash ( hre,tsw,ccw,volka,ect) there alot out there good luck

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Those Ford Racing Boss 302 Style wheels are nice! I think they would go great on your car. Or even the new RTR's, being your in the range fore a 19" rim..

Yeah, they are growing on me the more I look at the Boss wheels. I just didn't want to be the same as so many others. Red car, black wheels. But if they look good, then that's what I may end up doing. I wish I could afford the RTR's. Maybe I can sell some shit I have laying around here to make up the difference. Those would be my first choice if money weren't an issue.

I like black rims on a red car . I'am in the market also for a new set . I want a light weight wheel in a 18'' hard to fine without spending a bundle of cash ( hre,tsw,ccw,volka,ect) there alot out there good luck

I'm staying with 19" for daily driving. I'll get a set of 17's for the strip later on. Right now though, I have brand new 19" BFG KDW2 tires on the car and love them. Can't wait till it warms up so that these tires can really shine!

SonicBlur

]V[EGADET]-[
Reaction score
Wood Dale/Schaumburg, Illinois. Near Chicago
The difference between those Boss 302 wheels and RTR's a only a few bucks. With tires he RTR's are just a bit over $2K, pretty damn close to those Boss 302 with tires. Latemodel Restoration has them. The only issue with the RTR's is that they may be back ordered still.

RTR FTW!!!!!!!!

-Mike

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I think the Boss302(and the RTRs) wheels would look nice on your car since you blacked out all of your lights. But I have to agree with SonicBlur, the RTRs really aren't that much more. If you really want the RTRs, I would get them. If not, you will regret it and then probably be doing this same thing(looking for new wheels) again in a few months, lol.

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
RTR's are about 300 a wheel which is a pretty decent price, I mean there are a lot of wheels that cost 2-3 times that.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Of those two, the Boss LS style appeals to me the most.

On a related note, I've seen red Boss LS takeoff wheels on eBay for as little as $400 for a set. They go fast though, and they're red.

Kona6Stang10

forum member
Reaction score
Boss 302 Laguna Seca wheels
/thread

Too bad you don't want 18's.....I'd suggest some sort of lightweight wheel.

You could also go with CCW's in 19's, they are about 575ea. though.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Alright guys. I've been listening and it will be RTR Wheels. Just means I gotta scrimp and save a bit more. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'll get $500 out of the wheels I have now. And I have at least $400 worth of computer parts and car shit I can sell. Also going to sell my beachbar style handle bars from my last motorcycle. So with all that, I'll be able to swing the new wheels. I paid off my last, final credit card this past month. But it looks like I might be putting a few hundred bucks on it anyway....

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
RTR's if you can afford them but if not keep an eye out on ebay for these!

boss-ebay-wheels2.jpg

chrisstang1

forum member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a set of RTR wheels for the past week, they are on backorder right now. They are saying the end of march. Alot of places arent letting you know that on there website so I would call before I place an order. I have called a few places about them and said they didnt have them but were getting some next month. Justing trying to give you heads up before you spend the money and wait over a month for them.

FSTBLK

Reaction score
I placed my order friday for a set of RTR's and staggard Falken tires. Fortunately, i know a guy that can get them despite the nationwide backorder. Its all in who ya know ;)

Got a great price too. $2050 shipped :D

Dont ask where or who though -- i've been sworn to secrecy. Sorry.

Wyo07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest waiting and saving a bit more for the wheels you want but you beet me to it. You will be happier in the end even it takes you a little longer to get there.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I was going to suggest waiting and saving a bit more for the wheels you want but you beet me to it. You will be happier in the end even it takes you a little longer to get there.

Yep, just gives me more time to save up the money for them!

@Germeezy....for some reason, I just don't much care for the Boss wheels painted like that. It's just too much red. The Boss has a color scheme with Black that makes it work well on that car though.

I'm just going to save up for the RTR's. I think they will look the best and also, they are what I've wanted for awhile now anyway.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest you save up and get the RTR's since that is what you really want.

No need to settle for less in a fairly large purchase.

Your 2nd choice will always be your 2nd choice. You'll be out $1600 +/- and will still want the RTR's.

The Brembos are great wheels too, except they aren't wide enough for me in the rears. People are selling take off sets for $1400 all day.

If you do plan on going with the Brembo brakes in the future, you need to keep that in mind when buying rims.

RedfireGT

forum member
Reaction score
dont go cheep with wheels... ive spent alot of money on cheep wheels and never really liked them as much. i just bought mrr gt1s which were like 360 a wheel and i love em and they arent even here yet

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back