05-10 Steeda Tri-ax: weird stick movement.

AHaze

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the inner workings of these shifters? I noticed today that the stick could be moved up and down a good 1/4". I assumed something was broken, removed the shifter and disassembled it. The only thing holding the stick down into the socket is pressure from the centering springs. Is that correct or did my shifter spit out an insert that holds the ball end of the stick into it's socket?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Not familiar with it but the hurst shifter had this same problem years ago. I don’t think there was a solution other than to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the inner workings of these shifters? I noticed today that the stick could be moved up and down a good 1/4". I assumed something was broken, removed the shifter and disassembled it. The only thing holding the stick down into the socket is pressure from the centering springs. Is that correct or did my shifter spit out an insert that holds the ball end of the stick into it's socket?
Have you contacted Steeda? They have a very knowledgeable staff that can most likely answer your question for you. 954-960-0774

AHaze

Reaction score
Sorry, should have mentioned that was my first move. The reply I got was "Send it in and we'll rebuild it for $75". Might have to call back on Monday and clarify what I was asking.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Still a deal, what can you get for $75

Mgw costs a fortune

Mustang Terlingua

Reaction score
I installed the Barton Shifter 3 years ago. It works great vast improvement over the stock shifter. The 2nd to 3rd shift is quick & firm.

AHaze

Reaction score
Just an update for anyone who cares:
I emailed Steeda and got no response so I called them again and asked if they would pull up an assembly diagram. If I was, in fact missing a piece, I would send it in but I wanted to know that before shipping it to them from Alberta. Their response: "There are no user serviceable parts in that shifter. Send it in and we'll have a look at it." Seriously? You sell aftermarket high performance parts. Many of your customers install those parts themselves. Do you really think we can't decipher an assembly diagram for something with one moving part?
I'm putting the stock shifter back in the car so I can drive it for the rest of the summer and will be buying a different shifter over winter.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back