05+ Gas Tank Fill Problem Fix

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine does it but turning the pump handle upside down works every time so I don't stress it. Mine is an early build 05 too.

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
Mine does it but turning the pump handle upside down works every time so I don't stress it. Mine is an early build 05 too.
Yeah same here early 05 just a pain in the dick and takes forever to fill up even doing that tho sometimes just clicks clicks,,,,,,, fuck just thinking of having to deal with that again just sucks i wounded if I can take it to ford and see if i had a ten for it?

ixtlan

Reaction score
I did this in 2006 and still dont have the issue.
Several stations and pumps without any problem.
Honestly I expected it to return when the filter got clogged again.
But not so far.
Four years and counting.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will have to try this when I pull my car out of storage. I get this almost every time I fill up. God damn annoying. I can get it full but I have to go at half flow and it takes foreverrrrrrrrrr to fill.

What function does the suspected culprit filter box serve? Anyone know for sure? Does it just slow the fluid flow up that line to prevent fuel spills?

Last edited:

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
The tech at my dealership told me a trick....when the tank gets full and the pump clicks off....do NOT keep clicking it to add more gas/top it off, . He told me that it runs down that vent tube into a filter!! when the filter fills up.......the car wil be about impossible to put gas into till the filter is swapped out!! My car is an 2008 model.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
Mine just started doing this a week or so ago. Today the check engine light came on for 'evap system'.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
Gas cap seems OK. I checked the pump seal already and it was good.
It happened immediately after I fried my alternator pulley and sent low voltage throughout the car. I'm thinking I may have fried something in the evap system.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure man, I cleared them too quick. I just saw that they were for the evap system. I'm sure they'll come back though in no time, so I'll let ya know.

ixtlan

Reaction score
Check for loose lines in the system too. Vac leak can raise havoc with the system.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
^Good call, I'll take a closer look. I recently swapped over to a Whipple so maybe I didn't have something as tight as I should have.

LuckyFlyingROUSH

forum member
Reaction score
If I wait a second then have a friend help me rock the car back and fourth a few times at the gas station it fills right up.

Yes...I get the "wtf are you doing" stare.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
Vacuum lines are all tight.
I tried filling up last night and it puked the first quart of gas back out of the filler pipe and down the quarter panel. I was able to ease tiny bits of fuel into the tank every few seconds and eventually got half of a tankful. Something is seriously F'ed up under there.
Any suggestions?

ixtlan

Reaction score
For the fill issue:
Just what this thread tells you to do.
Fixed a lot of them so far.

The Vac leak was a shot at the EVAP issue. I think you have 2 problems not just one.

whitedealer07

Finally BOOSTED!!
Reaction score
It took me forever to find this write up.. My car is an 07 with about 64k on it and it seems like it is doing this more and more i will give this a try this weekend and hope it works

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I've had this problem on and off since I bought my car in Feb of 2005. Within weeks of buying it new, I was back at the dealership for this issue. They replaced what they called the filler neck and said that was the official fix. It never really worked, but turning the nozzle 45 degrees always did.

That was until a year or two ago. It got so bad, I couldn't fill the car up. I posted on here, and someone pointed me to this thread. I followed the instructions in the first post, but it didn't seem to help.

Fast forward to today, and it's gotten so bad, I've only been able to fill the car up to 100% one out of the last 5-6 times. I can usually get about 10-12 gallons in on a completely empty tank before the problems start. The next 3-4 gallons are excrutiating.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone else has something I can try. I read the post about the changes to the fuel system. Is that something that can be done with a simple modification, or does the whole tank assembly need to be swapped?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Stop trying to get the last 3-4 gallons in. you're overfilling your tank and soaking the evaporative canister.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back