05 V6 Mycolor Cluster installed in base model

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
ive posted this upgrade before. but this is how i did it.

Part 1( of 2)
if your thinking about this upgrade, its very simple to do, about 20 minutes, and it is very cool
smile.gif

basic info:
first off, pry off the blank switch cover above the stereo on the left side and see if you have the wire harness plugged into the back of it( see first pic) if you do, you can go to this website,
https://www.trademotion.com/memberse...&siteid=214072
register and send a message to ed, give him your year, model, vin number and tell him you need the cluster and the switches. he will respond pretty fast and give you the proper part numbers and ask the milage and how many miles per day you drive. he will program the cluster and add 5 days of daily miles to it when he ships it out. when i got it, the cluster, switches and shipping was 329.08 + there is a 300.00 core charge for your old cluster and must be returned to fords, in the box they send you and they provide the fed x shipping label for the return within 30 days. the new cluster w/ message center is re manufactured by ford, as brand new. ive heard the price has gone up but not sure what it is.

a couple catches on the install:
1) i have a basic 05 built in 04, but i had the wire harness. because i dont have abs, i had to take the car into fords today and have them program the cluster with my "as built data" to get rid of the abs light and the check brake message. to save money, i had to plug in the old cluster, so they could get the info as the ford website was down, then plug in the new one to program. ( took me less than 5 minutes in the stall) if the ford website was up, you would not have to re install the old one. they use the obdII port and it does not effect the tune or the computer. they had me return the tune to stock, but turned out i didnt need to. if your car is loaded, you wouldnt even have to go to fords to have anything done, unless:

there is a chance on the 06 and newer if you install the cluster it might not start because of the key chip and the ignition de activation feature on the cluster. i did not have that problem, started right up and worked great except for the abs light and message. if it doesnt start, you`ll have to put the old one back in and take it to fords for the re program. the cost at the dealer for the reprogram was 45.00( took about 5 minutes)

the install:
lower your steering colum with the lever under the steering wheel. pry off the cluster trim panel. you can see all the mounting clip locations in the pics, it comes off real easy. remove the 2 small top bolts and the 2 small lower bolts. lay a rag on top of the steering colum because the cluster will scratch the cover( see pic) and tilt the cluster forward so you can see the wire plug on the backside.

Last edited:

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
part 2 of 2:

you`ll see the wire clip with the gray lever. press the black button on the top center and the clip will swing back pulling the wire clip out of the cluster. plug in the new cluster, lock the gray swing lever in place and re install the 4 small bolts. pull off the protective film, and it will leave glue marks on the clear lense. i wet the micro fibre coth and put a little dish soap on it, and it took it off real nice. install the switches and re install the cluster trim and your ready to check it out!!!!

added note: i went with the 4.0 cluster, but you can get the gt also, and you could install the gt in the V6, but i see no reason. ive heard the speedo wont go past 120 mph as thats what programed as build data into the cluster in the V6. ( course it would say 140 mph)

Last edited:

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you, one of the first real how to from start to finish swaps I have seen in a long time. I too will be doing this one day.

Allen

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I bought the cluster and the buttons. My 05 has the harness in the dash. but I have to get the cluster reprogrammed for my car. The dealership says they cant do it and I have to send it off. The clear plastic is cracked so I need to find one of them too. Looking forward to using this write up though once I get to that point.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I bought the cluster and the buttons. My 05 has the harness in the dash. but I have to get the cluster reprogrammed for my car. The dealership says they cant do it and I have to send it off. The clear plastic is cracked so I need to find one of them too. Looking forward to using this write up though once I get to that point.
the dealers wont flash or touch used clusters. the build data, mileage and vin number are programed into the cluster. thats why i went this route cause fords programs all that, puts new steppers and new face on the clusters. i didnt want to mess around. i wanted a sure thing upgrade done legally. the switches will work though.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Sure they will. They just won't do it for free.
actually, they cant program the vin and the mileage at the dealership, thats a factory thing(done by delphi). the dealer can program the build data into the cluster, but without the vin and mileage correct thats odometer fraud and they wont play with that. (unless you have a good connection, cough)

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
actually, they cant program the vin and the mileage at the dealership, thats a factory thing(done by delphi). the dealer can program the build data into the cluster, but without the vin and mileage correct thats odometer fraud and they wont play with that. (unless you have a good connection, cough)

Correcting a replacement odometer has nothing to do with odometer fraud. In fact, selling a car with incorrect mileage is not illegal either, as long as you disclose it.

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
Correcting a replacement odometer has nothing to do with odometer fraud. In fact, selling a car with incorrect mileage is not illegal either, as long as you disclose it.
all i know is when i bought mine, they were adamant about me returning my original cluster to the tune of a $300 core charge for my basic cluster and free box and shipping to return it. they also programed the mileage as close as they can get it. if you put a junk yard cluster in, you changed the mileage and the dealer cant correct that. the vin needs to match the car is what i was told. so that was just my experience. granted, every other place might say something different. a few guys said the dealer near them couldnt or wouldnt even flash the cluster, so ive emailed my receipt from the dealer for them to show that it can be done. its not too common of a request i imagine.

theres been guys that got lucky with a junk yard cluster. the only snags that i know of would be if you needed the build data flashed at the dealer like i had to do to correct a warning light and message, or if there was a security system involved.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back