2009 GT engine whine?

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
My GF just purchased a 2009 GT, 42k , 5 spd. It has a weird whine coming from the engine.....starts at start up..whines through idle all the way up..the sound doesn't change by turning the wheel, so don't think its the PS. Sounds like it has a SC! Driving me nuts. Seems to be charging fine. Could it be a bad idler pulley? Does it with AC on or off..so don't think that's it. . Anyone had this problem? Yes I searched first......

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Constant while running and changing pitch with rpm would possibly be a bad belt pulley. You could take the belt off and see if there's slop in any of the pulley bearings. Spin each pulley by hand to check for slop or noise.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Pull the belt and start it up to determine if it's one of the pulleys. If it goes away with the belt off. Then start eliminating each pulley. Spin them by hand, visually inspect them, spray the bearing area with WD40 one at a time while it's running to hopefully narrow it down.

edit: ^^^^ I see we're both on the same page...

Last edited:

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
With it running.....the lower idler pulley closest to PS pump that is grooved (the rest are smooth), I can see that it has a slight wobble to it while running. I sprayed each pulley with WD40 while running..didn't really change anything. I'm guessing it's that grooved pulley...gets louder as rpm goes up. Thanks to drive by wire, I cant rev it while under the hood by myself. Gonna start looking for a replacement pulley.

Last edited:

JesseW.

forum member
Reaction score
5 speed? if you test the pullies and that's not it, does it go away if you press in the clutch. Input shaft bearing going bad will sound like that.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Yes it's a 5 spd...but I checked that already..no change with clutch in or out. Will be changing the "grooved" idler pulley later today and update...

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like an issue I had. Ended up being a pulley/belt. Covered under the Powertrain warranty.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Just found out the car is under its powertrain warranty for 5 more days...guess I'll let the dealership fix it for free!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I was just at my mechanic's shop. There was a broken belt tensioner on the floor which he had just replaced. I grabbed the impact and 18mm socket and salvaged the grooved pulley off of it before throwing it away. Never hurts to have a spare.

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know what you find. I'm at 40k and having the exact same issue. I'm suspecting alternator, not easy to get too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Went to the local dealership this morning..they used a mechanics stethoscope, found the idler pulley above the one I was gonna replace myself making horrible noise. It is covered under the powertrain warranty that has like 2 days left. Being repaired as I type....

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome!!! Make sure you get the car checked out 100% in case there is anything else.
Make sure they all perform all the TSBs or recalls and what have you.

keeno

Mustang Freak
Reaction score
Well TSB's arent like recalls...just tells common problems and fixes. No outstanding recalls on it. But I can report there is no more whining....didn't pay out a dime!

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know what you find. I'm at 40k and having the exact same issue. I'm suspecting alternator, not easy to get too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Unless you've got extensive mods the alternator is plenty easy to get to. Just pull intake the TB and you're there.

Mine was whining loud at all RPMs as well, most noticeably at idle (due to exhaust) and it was the alternator.

Sprayer84

forum member
Reaction score
Unless you've got extensive mods the alternator is plenty easy to get to. Just pull intake the TB and you're there.

Mine was whining loud at all RPMs as well, most noticeably at idle (due to exhaust) and it was the alternator.

There's a turbo in the way of mine lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back