2009 4.6 rough idle and white smoke

Kadenpoynor

Reaction score
I drive a 2009 4.6 with 126k miles and it runs great when you first start her up cold but then once the engine reaches normal running temperatures it starts to idle very rough. throwing 2 codes (P0022,P2020) there’s also white smoke coming out of the tail pipes.(note:I’m running the stock exhaust with gutted catalytic converters) the oil level has been falling so it’s definitely been burning. The coolant level has not changed and the smoke smells like oil.

Before all this we pulled the motor out and go into the timing assembly and fully replaced everything there but we did replace the head gasket since we never got in there

I haven’t been able to find much on this and one of the codes points to an intake manifold and we replaced the vvt solenoids twice. If anyone has any idea what’s wrong please let me know

Miker

Reaction score
The way I always looked at it is, white smoke is usually associated with water, moisture.
Blue oil
Black fuel

VBSTANG06

Reaction score
Is it thick lingering white smoke or is the smoke visible and dissipates quickly? I have an 06 w/160,000 miles w/LT headers no cats and straight piped and I get a little white smoke even in warm weather. My engine DRINKS oil from driver's side PCV hose. I have also recently done the not so fun timing job(and oil pump) on my 4.6 and I definitely gained oil pressure from it. Seems to drink more oil now after timing refresh.

VBSTANG06

Reaction score
I just looked up those codes and P0022 is bank over retarded (unfortunately timing may have been set incorrectly on that bank). P2020 is dealing with IMRC (intake manifold runner control) so if you want take a look at the back of the intake manifold where IMRC rods/links connect and make sure everything is connected properly (electrical plug for IMRC actuator too).

Kadenpoynor

Reaction score
We also replaced the oil pump with a higher pressure one. The smoke that i get doesn't linger and dissipates pretty fast but is more seen once the engine warms up. That sucks if i got the timing wrong on that one side. it’s weird though you would think that it would idle weird all the time if it was off? But i only get it once the engine has warmed up.

VBSTANG06

Reaction score
Maybe it's an intermittent connection at the camshaft position sensor for that bank. That would be easy to check

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I drive a 2009 4.6 with 126k miles and it runs great when you first start her up cold but then once the engine reaches normal running temperatures it starts to idle very rough. throwing 2 codes (P0022,P2020) there’s also white smoke coming out of the tail pipes.(note:I’m running the stock exhaust with gutted catalytic converters) the oil level has been falling so it’s definitely been burning. The coolant level has not changed and the smoke smells like oil.

Before all this we pulled the motor out and go into the timing assembly and fully replaced everything there but we did replace the head gasket since we never got in there

I haven’t been able to find much on this and one of the codes points to an intake manifold and we replaced the vvt solenoids twice. If anyone has any idea what’s wrong please let me know

It sounds like your engine's oil burning problem is pretty serious. I suggest you perform compression and leak down tests on all cylinders to determine if there's significant ring-bore wear. If those check out OK and oil isn't getting past the piston rings from the bottom end of the crankcase, it could be getting past worn valve stem oil seals or valve guides from.the top end of the crankcase.
The O2 sensor code could be due to oil contamination of the sensor itself, and the CMCV code could be due to heavily oil encrusted charge motion control valves sticking inside the intake manifold.
A mileage of only 126k miles is far too early for the engine to be having these sorts of problems, and this leads me to believe that it's been a victim of either abuse or neglect by a previous owner.

Kadenpoynor

Reaction score
Update: the control Module for the intake manifold was completely broken for the butterfly doors and we replaced the intake entirely and got rid of the code for it (P2020) and now just have the P0022. it feels like the idle is taking longer to surge than before but still is idling roughly after about 20 min of driving. The P0022 code comes up after driving it for a bit but once i let it sit for about an hour and a half the code is gone. The plug for the sensor is secure and has been replaced so i don’t believe it’s a faulty sensor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back