2011 Mustang Engine Rough Iddle/buzzing no power loss, what’s going on?

chambersaviator

Reaction score
Hello!
My 2011 mustang 3.7L has been having a rough idle issue for a while. If it’s getting any pedal at all, it runs normal, good power/acceleration, normal, with mpg up to 30 miles per gallon. But sitting idling, it may idle smooth for a minute, but it’ll get rough, and buzz a bit. It throws the P0023 code, so I replaced the drivers side camshaft position sensors with no result. Lights dim slightly from time to time, so I had my battery and alternator checked. What’s going on? I saw some people saying there’s a solenoid in the alternator that can act up, could this happen in a way that doesn’t show easily on the test? Could it actually still be the alternator? This has been going on for about six months. Thanks!

Last edited:

chambersaviator

Reaction score
I replaced the alternator and still no change. Check engine light came back on. I’m kinda stumped what the problem could be.

Reaction score
Hello!
My 2011 mustang 3.7L has been having a rough idle issue for a while. If it’s getting any pedal at all, it runs normal, good power/acceleration, normal, with mpg up to 30 miles per gallon. But sitting idling, it may idle smooth for a minute, but it’ll get rough, and buzz a bit. It throws the P0023 code, so I replaced the drivers side camshaft position sensors with no result. Lights dim slightly from time to time, so I had my battery and alternator checked. What’s going on? I saw some people saying there’s a solenoid in the alternator that can act up, could this happen in a way that doesn’t show easily on the test? Could it actually still be the alternator? This has been going on for about six months. Thanks!
That code has to do with the VCT variable valve timing system. I am not sure why you replaced the camshaft sensor. Do you have a oil leak like in this picture? That is the oil control valve for the VCT and is the source of the P0023 code. This is a 3.5 ecoboost engine but has the same VCT system as our 3.7. The person with this problem fixed it by cleaning off the oii a plugging the connector back in.
https://www.f150forum.com/f12/p0023-code-ford-150-ecoboost-532288/#:~:text=The P0023 code is for,in oil in your pic.
20221116_142557_73cf7ea7e109c35b79d6d9693b37142e8c7384c2.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back