2011 5.0 whipplecharged keeps dying out?????

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
car seems like its running rich keeps dying everytime i stop to red light jon lund tune anyhelp???????????

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
How long have you had it? Who did the install? That is really unusual as I know Jon has the whipple/roush kits dialed in

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Have you contacted Jon with this issue? Have you checked all couplings to make sure you don't have a loose connection? In particular, check where the intake goes into the throttle body. Common to have that one loosen up. As soon as it does, you'll get either rough idling on these new 5.0L engines or, the symptoms you describe. Just dying when coming to a stop.

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Yea my filter keeps sliding off tube but it is still on and @ chuck jpc did in stall Jon sent me a e-mail tune he never did dyno car in person I can't get him to dyno tune in person its kind of getting in my nerve that he keeps tellin me he don't have to be there I know the car is running way rich.honesty I would bring the car to evolution I went with you guys first but I didn't like freds attitude

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I assume if the filter keeps slipping off the end it is a JLT intake and not the stock intake that comes with the Whipple? The filter stipping off the end should not cause it to run rich, but if the hose clamps at the throttle body are over tightened it can "crush" down the tube causing a leak letting un-metered air to enter the engine greatly affecting fuel trims.

Also, stick or auto?

Any check engine lights?

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I also had the same prob as of lately but not every time I stopped. Maybe once or twice in a two hour drive. I reflashed the car n it went away. On a side note my god damn air filter on my JLT keeps wanting to slide off too.

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I guess there's nothin to do about air filter slippin off.@ chuck the cars manual

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
There was a check engine light po172 bank 1 rich then Jon sent me another tune 200 mile later so far so good@mystick50 I'm doin the same pulley u have 3.25 do u run torco or just straight 93 and have u ran ur car yet with that setup? I'm doing track rental November 29 at m.I.r

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
No I haven't run it yet. I have been waiting for my new wheels and drs for like eight weeks and there's no point in running it with these tires lol. I am running 93 and was actually convinced to not run torco. As far as the air filter, it's nothing bad but it seems like it slides down like almost a half inch or so every 300-500 miles. You may be having a diff kind of issue with the stalling. I never had a cel or nothing, it just seemed as the air got better/colder every once in a while the car would stall out when coming to a stop. My car was dyno tuned in like 95 degree weather with 100 percent humidity and Im not sure it was just having a hard time adapting. It also probably doesn't help that I drive my car once every two,three weeks.

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I drive mine once a week maybe twice I had my car year and half I got like 5200 mile lol.your looks really good I want to get those rtr wheels can u run that new mickey Thompson 305 drag radial in that wheel? And what kind of power did u make?

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I see in your profile you got another set of wheels on order.how much you want for rtr wheels tires?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
car seems like its running rich keeps dying everytime i stop to red light jon lund tune anyhelp???????????

There was a check engine light po172 bank 1 rich then Jon sent me another tune 200 mile later so far so good@mystick50 I'm doin the same pulley u have 3.25 do u run torco or just straight 93 and have u ran ur car yet with that setup? I'm doing track rental November 29 at m.I.r
Does the car run good now or not? Im confused.

2011Black5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I think I might do that what's so great about Jon lund the car needs to be on a dyno how are u supost to tune a car through e-mail

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Yea I think I might do that what's so great about Jon lund the car needs to be on a dyno how are u supost to tune a car through e-mail

Did the car act this way since day one of the install and installing the Lund tune? The reason I ask is that tunes do not change. If the car ran right in the beginning something has to have changed elswhere. Send Jon some datalogs and let him take a look at what is happening.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've never had my car die with the Whipple and Lund's tune.

Take off the intake filter and clean off the inner lip of the filter and also the intake tube. These filters come with some excess oil around the inner rim of the filter. It should stay put for you after this.

In addition, it'd be great if you'd have the decency to at least throw some sort of punctuation in your posts. It'd make it easier for people to reply if we wouldn't have to decode the run-on.

I'm in a similar boat with Lund, in that I really want him to tune my car personally on the dyno, but being in CA it's not an option. He is willing to do remote tuning if you're up for it, so you can look into that as well.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back