2011 Mustang GT Clutch issue (may not be related to TSBs?)

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
I had a "catastrophic failure" in the mustang yesterday in regards to the clutch.

The car had been making an on again and off again bearing noise a couple weeks prior, but the clutch had been engaging just fine (which this car had never been extremely smooth, but I thought it was pretty par for the course with MT82's -hard to get in gear when cold, lots deflection in the shifter as well).

I had a missed shift yesterday as the car wouldn't enter 4th gear from 3rd (not a hard shift, but a quick one), as I was trying to find 4th, it slipped to 2nd and an overrev occured (although caught it quickly and clutched-in). Everything felt fine until 5-6 shifts later when I heard a pop and clutch pedal went to the floor. it wouldn't come up but the car was in gear and wasn't slipping. I drove until I was somewhere safe, and in a parking lot I started testing. Couldn't change gears, and the pedal had very little pressure behind it. I could start the car in gear and it would move forward (an engagement issue), going heavy throttle resulted in little slip, but I can hear mechanical issues coming from the bellhousing.

I'm also worried about damage to the synchros in the transmission, as if the clutch wasn't operating normally, there could be some excess wear and tear there. I was hoping to have the TSB completed on the car for refill of the transmission with proper QDC fluid, and was hoping to look for shavings in the drained fluid to determine if there's any issues there. My transmission was one of the louder whining ones.

Otherwise, I have no idea what went wrong, my guess is something to do with the slave cylinder or throw out bearing.

Any thoughts? Its at the dealer now, they won't touch it until Monday and this is my first interaction with a Ford dealer and a new car. I hope they're thorough in investigating and repairing the issue, very much already miss the car
frown.gif

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have the car somewhere you can look underneath of it? If so, check to see if there is any fluid leaking from the front of the tranny in the bell housing area. if not, try pumping the clutch a couple times and check again. Sounds like the seals in the throw out/slave cylinder may have gone. I have only seen that happen a couple times when the wrong clutch/slave cylinder combo have been used, and when the clutch pedal was depressed it overextended the slave and blew the seals.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
I did get under the car with help from a samaritan with a jackstand and a jack, and it was bone dry. I didn't dismount the tire to look behind the fenderliner either. At that point I had a tow pull it to the local Ford dealer.

The pedal had no hydraulic resistance until the last 10% of travel, which definitely aligns with what you're mentioning.

Reaction score
I had a missed shift yesterday as the car wouldn't enter 4th gear from 3rd (not a hard shift, but a quick one), as I was trying to find 4th, it slipped to 2nd and an overrev occured (although caught it quickly and clutched-in).
frown.gif

Same thing happened to me, but the computer put the car in some form of limp mode. I had to restart the car for it to run properly. I hope it works out for you though. Keep us posted and hopefully you will get a revised clutch assembly put in the car.

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
really starting to consider holding off to see if some of these issues are ironed out in the 2012. I'm starting to hear a lot of negatives with the manuals in the 2011s

vakane

Minister of sinister
Reaction score
I did get under the car with help from a samaritan with a jackstand and a jack, and it was bone dry. I didn't dismount the tire to look behind the fenderliner either. At that point I had a tow pull it to the local Ford dealer.

The pedal had no hydraulic resistance until the last 10% of travel, which definitely aligns with what you're mentioning.

that sounds like when my dowel pins were messed up.... the pressure plate was damaged and it felt just like that... but thats just part of it... the rest sounds like an actual tranny issue.

vakane

Minister of sinister
Reaction score
really starting to consider holding off to see if some of these issues are ironed out in the 2012. I'm starting to hear a lot of negatives with the manuals in the 2011s

dont agree but definitly wait for the 2012... something has to be actually fixed or better :)

Ducky

Reaction score
God damn dude really? I guess I don't get to see it this week
frown.gif

Last edited:

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
yeah, sorry about that mang. I wish I had it as well, figured it would garner some attention up there :(

Hopefully they get all these problems resolved.

Ducky

Reaction score
yeah, sorry about that mang. I wish I had it as well, figured it would garner some attention up there :(

Hopefully they get all these problems resolved.

I'm actually kind of jealous. I want a new tranny, and I wish my synchros would just blow up already.

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
I bet they don't replace my transmission. Maybe I'm just pessimistic from coming from Audi disService where the gameplan is just to do the bare minimum and charge the customer the maximum while claiming some loophole in warranty coverage.

However we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping a new clutch assembly is all the damage that's done, and a refill of the transmission. While mine does whine a lot, I'll take a fluid fill before requesting a replacement.

Ducky

Reaction score
I bet they don't replace my transmission. Maybe I'm just pessimistic from coming from Audi disService where the gameplan is just to do the bare minimum and charge the customer the maximum while claiming some loophole in warranty coverage.

However we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping a new clutch assembly is all the damage that's done, and a refill of the transmission. While mine does whine a lot, I'll take a fluid fill before requesting a replacement.

Was it grinding gears at all?

captdistraction

Corner Carver
Reaction score
not unless cold.

However finally got a call from the dealer today. The clutch disc blew apart/shattered on one side. The friction material just let go. They mentioned that neither the PP or flywheel looked excessively blue, thus they think it was just a defective part. Another stocker will go in its place.

An aftermarket clutch and shifter are in my near future.

Reaction score
not unless cold.

However finally got a call from the dealer today. The clutch disc blew apart/shattered on one side. The friction material just let go. They mentioned that neither the PP or flywheel looked excessively blue, thus they think it was just a defective part. Another stocker will go in its place.

The parts that they are putting in the newer mustangs are the revised assemblies. I'm sure you will be fine after this.

My friend just got a 2011, and his clutch is noticeably lighter than mine, and that is a characteristic of the revised assemblies... So i've been told...

Ducky

Reaction score
not unless cold.

My service manager just called and told me about the fluid swap TSB. I know it's for shift effort, and my transmission has grinding, but I figure this is a good way to verify there is no metal in my fluid.

I was thinking the other day though, since I don't know much about hydraulic clutches. I know that the clutch and brake fluids are one in the same. Does that mean that after I have been driving a bit, and the brake fluid heats up, that it expands and makes my clutch disengage farther? Or am I just being retarded?

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
My service manager just called and told me about the fluid swap TSB. I know it's for shift effort, and my transmission has grinding, but I figure this is a good way to verify there is no metal in my fluid.

I was thinking the other day though, since I don't know much about hydraulic clutches. I know that the clutch and brake fluids are one in the same. Does that mean that after I have been driving a bit, and the brake fluid heats up, that it expands and makes my clutch disengage farther? Or am I just being retarded?

Usually the brakes and clutch master cylinders have a pressure bleed off valve when the pedal is all the way up. This prevents pressure (or vacuum) from building up in the lines.

Ducky

Reaction score
Usually the brakes and clutch master cylinders have a pressure bleed off valve when the pedal is all the way up. This prevents pressure (or vacuum) from building up in the lines.

Noted, being retarded. Thanks!

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
Man I get more and more worried every time I read about a failure. I amawaiting my 2012 and should be here around April 18th. I highly doubt anything is different, they actually told be the TSB for the fluid will be done before I pick it up. That tells me that FORD did nothing to correct the failure that have been occuring. I told the dealer that when I come to pick it up we should schedule the tranny inspection because I expect it here within 2 months! Dam china made trannys, dont they realize it is not a fortune cookie!!!!!!! We dont want to see whats inside!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back