Lost all clutch pressure with new clutch

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
So I put an entire new McLeod Clutch system in my car. Including a new McLeod flywheel, pilot bearing which I used the Ford Racing roller pilot bearing instead of the McLeod solid pilot bearing because I didn't realize the clutch kit came with with a new pilot bearing. The Ford one looked nicer anyways with the rollers on it instead of a solid bearing. Also bought the McLeod Hydraulic TOB. The McLeod said it was a direct OEM replacement and that no shims were needed. Fast forward not even 2 weeks later and the clutch lost all pressure and brake fluid is pouring out of the bottom of the bell housing. Assuming that the TOB when out. I've had a few people tell me that it was supposed to be measured and shimmed. McLeod said no shims needed. I don't remember my stock TOB having shims but I threw it away so now I have no idea if it was or wasn't. It was the stock TOB that I replaced on a stock 06 GT Transmission. I replaced the TOB because I figure while I was replacing my clutch and had my trans out I might as well replace the rest of it since my car had 128k and it was all original.

Now I'm going to buy a stock TOB and am worried with all the new McLeod clutch stuff that I put in my car the stock TOB will need to be shimmed but I have no clue how to do this and can't find any YouTube videos to walk me through measuring it to know if the stock slave will need to be shimmed. I don't want to pull my trans again to replace TOB again in another 3 weeks. Any help on how to measure this to make sure it's right this time. Pictures or video if possible as that's the way I learn best. Thanks.

IMG_2116.jpeg

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I haven’t seen any videos on the process, but this thread has a lot of good info in it. You’ll obviously have to pull the trans back down, and get a new slave cylinder. Once you have that, you can take your measurements.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IIRC, there's been frequent issues with the hydraulic line attached to the TOB having a clip that fails to hold and or snaps, you'll need to open up the housing to see if that happened, could be your parts are all good, just the line having come loose.

lacofdfireman

Reaction score
IIRC, there's been frequent issues with the hydraulic line attached to the TOB having a clip that fails to hold and or snaps, you'll need to open up the housing to see if that happened, could be your parts are all good, just the line having come loose.
The hydraulic line on these actually hooks up outside the bell housing. So it it was a hydraulic line failure you’d see fluid coming from the connection. It’s definitely not that. But yes. It could have been. Just not in this circumstance.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have run a couple different clutch, transmission combinations in my 2010 and after my first mistake I measure the TOB preload before assembly. I have measured the stock Ford, Exedy and McLeod hydraulic units and they are all exactly the same length so the problem does not originate with the TOB you chose. Did the new clutch system you installed work perfectly or was it marginal until it failed?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The hydraulic line on these actually hooks up outside the bell housing. So it it was a hydraulic line failure you’d see fluid coming from the connection. It’s definitely not that. But yes. It could have been. Just not in this circumstance.
gotcha. been a while, so my memory failed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back