2012 Clutch rating?

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
How much power can you put through the 2012 GT clutch before it is time to get an aftermarket one?
I'm planning on adding some sort of forced induction in the near future and I wanted to know at what power level I will need to be switching it out.

Or should put a new clutch in now before I put any FI on the car?
I was thinking of getting this one http://www.lethalperformance.com/tr...e-9-5-dual-disc-clutch-kit-300-series-p-35005
I don't want anything too over the top because I don't plan on taking it to the ragged edge, but I'm sure I need a better clutch at some point or another.
I drive the car often so I'd prefer not to have too harsh of an engagement on the clutch. Its more of my fun car to drive around when I can, not a dedicated drag or track car.

Thanks

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
Most everyone will say change it right away, however, I'm making my power on a stock clutch. Just depends on how much you're going to beat on it

Reaction score
Man i would say it depends on your wallet, there are plenty of people who are pushing well over 500+through the stock clutch and its holding up fine. I wouldn't fix it till its broke but if you must, go Meleod it will be money well spent!!!

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
The ram dual disc clutch you posted will have near stock driveability. The only downside is cost.

TimMcc

Reaction score
Stock clutch here with this power for 4K miles or more. Was just taken out due to loose pressure plate bolts. Clutch still looked new so we put it back in. I drive thecar pretty hard.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I guess I'll just keep the stock one in there and have money on the side for a new clutch if it all goes wrong.
I just saw people saying if you run nitrous then you really want to replace the stock clutch. I thought it would be the same deal for turbo/supercharger.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Makes sense actually that nitrous hits harder than boost if you think about it. Boost gradually builds whereas nitrous just delivers one huge lump sum of power all at once.

DON SVO

Reaction score
Depends on how much boost you're running.

Irrelevant to what he is implying.

Even coming off a trans brake, the blower/turbo cars are load sensitive and build the power through the resistance... the suspension/drivetrain is already loaded in that instance. If you go WOT from idle or a roll the turbo/blower cars still have to build peak boost. Either way, it's not nearly as violent as spray. Hence why a lot of the TTT5 guys can do ridiculous things on a small tire, they have a lot more room due to the nature of FI.

On the other side of the fence, your average 150whp shot of juice is going to hit instantaneously and shock the drivetrain all the way back.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back