2013 GT Track Questions

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a 2013 GT with Brembo package and want to take it to some Drivers Edge track sessions. Each session is 20 minutes of all out balls to the wall running and temps in Texas are usually around 70-80 degrees when I plan to go. Drivers Edge weekends are Saturday and Sunday, roughly 4 20 minute sessions per day.

My Questions:
Should I be concerned about not having the track package addons?

Do I need to invest in a Boss Oil Cooler for these types of events?

I dont plan to go forced induction, at the most probably exhaust, intake, tune, and some springs. I've already started using 5w30 for daily driving, I assume this will hold up fine on the track as well. Basically I want to make sure I'm not pushing any temperature boundries.

Other than my above inquiries is there anything else I should take into consideration before heading out to track days? Any "must have" mods I need to look at?

Thanks in advance!

4.6fan

forum member
Reaction score
I used to overheat my 2008 mustang gt in 80+ temp. I had 4.10s so my rpms were constantly high. If i watched my rpms and shifted early I'd be fine but it really depended on the track and how hot it was out there. I bought an afco radiator and I never had a problem again.

If I were you I'd take it out there and see how it does I dont think youll have a problem at this time of the yr.

Stangmeister9

The Member
Reaction score
you will be fine with your cars suspension set up and brakes.

You will need to change your brake fluid to Synthetic DOT4 and your front pads will be gone by days end.

Learn your cars abilities and yours then alter from there.

i run in south texas with 90+ degress with no issues.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
No track package or oil cooler or anything Stangmeister?

That is reassuring, thanks. I'll look into break fluid and a new set of pads.

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
If you're using 5w30 right now, I don't think you need to install an oil cooler urgently, but I would put it on your list. I saw over 300 degF with a stock 2011, and I doubt the 2013's are that much better with cooling. Obviously it will depend on the track.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
If you're going to bother to do springs, do the shocks & struts at the same time. Koni yellows if you're staying with any of the commonly available "lowering springs".

Even if you don't do the springs, there is value in the Konis working with the OE springs.

Don't "over-lower" it. An inch, maybe an inch and a quarter at most unless you're also going to get into correcting the geometry.

Norm

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you're going to bother to do springs, do the shocks & struts at the same time. Koni yellows if you're staying with any of the commonly available "lowering springs".

Even if you don't do the springs, there is value in the Konis working with the OE springs.

Don't "over-lower" it. An inch, maybe an inch and a quarter at most unless you're also going to get into correcting the geometry.

Norm

Norm's 100% correct. Even lowering it an inch will affect the rear roll-steer characteristics.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
As a followup after my first track session at Cresson Motorsports Ranch, I can certainly say I'm glad I did the Boss Oil Cooler. During a hard session the temps would get up to the "L" iirc on the display (around 85% of the way before it gets to the yellow). Engine temps however stayed at a normal range, no different than highway driving.

It was pretty chilly (40's and 50's) so in the summer it may be a different story.

Breaks were OKish. Definitely need some better pads i think.

Breakdive was noticeable but manageable. Body roll didnt bother me at all.

Planned mods before next event: Shocks/struts/Springs, break pads, 285's in the rear.

Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
get a set of pads and rotors for the track and put them on before you go, it'll save on your street setup and you'll have better pads for the track than you would want to run on the street.

I would keep a square setup on the tires.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
As a followup after my first track session at Cresson Motorsports Ranch, I can certainly say I'm glad I did the Boss Oil Cooler. During a hard session the temps would get up to the "L" iirc on the display (around 85% of the way before it gets to the yellow). Engine temps however stayed at a normal range, no different than highway driving.

That is weird. MSR-C last weekend - it was COLD, and if the weather there was anything like Eagles Canyon an hour or so away where we were, it was also raining. And your oil was running warm? That shouldn't happen. I hate to say this, as people often get pretty defensive about their parts upgrades, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the Boss 302 oil cooler. Many of the Boss302 guys that track their cars have been fighting cooling problems since day one... they seem to quickly move up to the 302-S radiator, then the Tiger Racing hood, then the 302-S grill, and on and on in a never-ending quest to cool their cars. But oddly enough, the non-Boss 5.0 cars (GTs) don't seem to have any cooling problems.

smallcrop_DSC2446%20copy%202-M.jpg

We've been tracking the piss out of our 2011 Mustang GT since we bought it in August 2010. With 2 drivers often driving the car on the same day, dozens of track days a year in Texas heat, and running lap times usually 2+ seconds faster than the American Iron lap records, we have racked up 17K trouble-free miles with a bone stock Mustang GT cooling system. The oil we use is Mobil1 synthetic 10W40, and changed often, but has never smells burned.

Go to the Boss302 forums... you will see thread after thread talking about overheating. What do these cars have different from the base GT? The Boss302 oil cooler. Or as I call it, the oil heater. The only reason GT owners seem to buy this kit is 1) "it comes on the Boss302" and 2) the internet is a terrible place for goading people into buying often worse parts than stock. Seriously, over half the stuff sold for Mustangs is worthless frou frou, even a small percentage of the parts that make it into the FRPP catalog.

Sorry, but you should always doubt EVERYTHING you read on forums from people you don't know/haven't seen personally at the track a LOT/don't know if they are actually fast. This isn't a message people that read the internets a lot want to hear, but it is true. A lot of people in the aftermarket just want to sell you something, anything, and a lot of "bolt on billy's" want you to buy the same crap parts they did to justify their purchase. This probably sounds crazy from an actual vendor on this very forum, too, but it is something I've been saying for 25 years.

It was pretty chilly (40's and 50's) so in the summer it may be a different story.
If it is running warm now as cold as it is, it will only get worse as ambient temps rise.

Breaks were OKish. Definitely need some better pads i think.
The stock brake pads won't last very long, and tend to fade quickly when pushed moderately hard.

Don't take this the wrong way, but how new to tracking are you? What were your lap times on the MSR-C 1.7, if you took any?

We all start somewhere, and I was brand new to track events once, just like everyone. What you will see is when you get enough track experience under your belt to start wringing some fast lap times out of a stock Mustang, when you are really pushing it, the stock brake pads become a major hindrance. At the NASA race weekend on March 16-17th of this month I drove our 2011 GT to a TT3 class win and set a new track record on the 3.1 mile course (joins the 1.3 and 1.7 course) using the Brembo brakes and aftermarket pads/cooling (picture above).

MotorsportRanch-S.jpg
_DSC2291-S.jpg

That same weekend I also drove a stock 2011 Mustang GT on the 1.7 mile course (shown above). It was a customer's car that had the stock suspension, optional 14" Brembos and stock brake pads. Been a little while since I drove one this stock, and she was riding along to have me show her how hard you can push these cars (and what happens when you do). I drove it fairly hard (8/10ths) and we noticed massive brake dive and the pads were giving up after 2 hot laps. At least it had good brake fluid, so it didn't boil and turn to mush. The Brembos are awesome and a must-have option on any 2011+ GT. But the stock pads are a compromise, made for quiet, dust-free street use, and work great ice cold but lose a lot of friction when they get hot. I love them for street pads, but for track use they are outmatched by just about anything from the aftermarket.

DSC_6940-S.jpg
DSC_6941-S.jpg

With Carbotech pads in the typical track-HPDE Mustangs, we are seeing good results from XP10-XP12 pads up front and XP8-XP10 out back. We've moved up to XP20 front and XP12 rear on our Time Trial car, which has front brake ducting (BIG improvement in cooling) and is carrying a lot of ballast to meet the class power-to-weight numer (3812 pounds that weekend!). But even with some of the most aggressive/hardest race pads available we still go through brake pads and rotors at a pretty good clip. These are big, heavy cars with a good bit of power stock... add more power and more weight (which we have done to stay in this class) and this is what our brakes look like after 3 weekends on the pads and about 5 weekends on rotors:

DSC_6938-S.jpg
DSC_6939-S.jpg

It is just part of the cost of tracking/racing a big, heavy, powerful car. :) And running track pads on the street sucks, as they make a lot of noise, dust and wear rotors faster. Luckily, switching pads on these cars is relatively easy - and something track drivers get used to doing before and after track weekends.

Breakdive was noticeable but manageable. Body roll didnt bother me at all.

Hmmm... yea, when you are pushing it harder you will notice the stock suspension will dish out loads of brake dive and bodyroll. And the loss of camber in the front suspension front will shred the outside shoulders of your front tires. But you might not be there yet, so just have fun and rack up more seat time. :)

Planned mods before next event: Shocks/struts/Springs, break pads, 285's in the rear.

I'd do a few more events before throwing a new suspension on it. Seriously, if this was your first or even your 5th track day, you are jumping the gun on upgrades. Keep getting seat time before upgrading the suspension. Upping rear tire size and not the front will only make the car push (understeer) worse. And adding power will only make the car harder to drive and likely slower.

_DSC0606-S.jpg

Left: Adjustable camber plates pay for themselves quickly in front tire wear savings. Right: Stock power in my 2013 GT was 377 whp

And power mods? Way too soon for that. On a 2011-2013 5.0 GT, power mods should be done AFTER these other upgrades: 1) brake pad/brake cooling upgrades, 2) tire/wheel upgrades, 3) camber adjustment up front, 4) strut/spring/bar upgrades, and 5) harness/seat upgrades. These cars make 375-380 whp bone stock, but the suspension and other bits are not even up to that level. Adding more power will only amplify how overtaxed the suspension, tires and brake pads are. Be strong - resist the urge to throw power and mods at your car until you are running at least under ~1:35 laps at MSR-C (CCW) in a stock GT.

Cheers,

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
I hate to say this, as people often get pretty defensive about their parts upgrades, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the Boss 302 oil cooler. Many of the Boss302 guys that track their cars have been fighting cooling problems since day one... they seem to quickly move up to the 302-S radiator, then the Tiger Racing hood, then the 302-S grill, and on and on in a never-ending quest to cool their cars. But oddly enough, the non-Boss 5.0 cars (GTs) don't seem to have any cooling problems.

We've been tracking the piss out of our 2011 Mustang GT since we bought it in August 2010. With 2 drivers often driving the car on the same day, dozens of track days a year in Texas heat, and running lap times usually 2+ seconds faster than the American Iron lap records, we have racked up 17K trouble-free miles with a bone stock Mustang GT cooling system. The oil we use is Mobil1 synthetic 10W40, and changed often, but has never smells burned.

Go to the Boss302 forums... you will see thread after thread talking about overheating. What do these cars have different from the base GT? The Boss302 oil cooler. Or as I call it, the oil heater. The only reason GT owners seem to buy this kit is 1) "it comes on the Boss302" and 2) the internet is a terrible place for goading people into buying often worse parts than stock. Seriously, over half the stuff sold for Mustangs is worthless frou frou, even a small percentage of the parts that make it into the FRPP catalog.

Sorry, but you should always doubt EVERYTHING you read on forums from people you don't know/haven't seen personally at the track a LOT/don't know if they are actually fast. This isn't a message people that read the internets a lot want to hear, but it is true. A lot of people in the aftermarket just want to sell you something, anything, and a lot of "bolt on billy's" want you to buy the same crap parts they did to justify their purchase. This probably sounds crazy from an actual vendor on this very forum, too, but it is something I've been saying for 25 years.
I'm not trying to start a debate or anything, but with a bone stock 2011 GT on summer tires, I was seeing 300+ degF oil (measured at the drain plug) and 230 degF coolant. Once I installed the Boss oil cooler and Saleen grille, my oil temperature dropped ~20-30 degF and my coolant temperature dropped ~10 degF in similar driving conditions. Part of the oil temperature drop was from the coolant temperature drop, but the oil cooler did seem to work. My experience obviously wasn't taking a really scientific approach especially since I changed two things at once, but I at least took measurements instead of blindly installing parts.

I imagine that without the grille upgrade, I would probably see hotter coolant temperatures. Obviously if the cooler is removing heat from the oil, that heat is going right into the coolant. Also, the design is kind of dumb. It restricts the upper radiator hose with the bypass, which just makes things worse for coolant temperature. I don't have any data to back that up though.

I've tested that style of oil cooler on other engines, and when you get the oil screaming hot (as you would on a road course or maybe from towing), they do make a pretty good difference. Even though it does make the coolant hotter, I'd rather have hotter coolant and lose power than hotter oil and lose bearing material. Obviously a "real" oil cooler would be better, but they're certainly not as cheap as the Boss cooler.

Budwise

forum member
Reaction score
Damn Fair, nice post. I do agree with a lot of what you're saying. Seat Time > Mods every time, unfortunately for me I can only afford to track about 2-3 times a year.

Here's a video of my last session. Not sure how slow or fast I was in your experience but in general the car really surprised me how well it did in stock form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhCX5Q1EP3Q

OkieSnuffBox

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly the only thing I would do is brake pads, and fresh rotors if need be. I'm also a big fan of the Carbotech's (it's what I run on my Miata at the track).

Driving around the suspension, while not the most fun, is good experience. But fading brakes after a couple laps is no fun and can be dangerous.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I really like MSR Cression! My favorite part of that track is the Richoiet. You come up the hill and the suspension is unloaded a little then you throw it in the left hander and it goes off camber and down hill for gust a bit. You can spin the rear tyre SOOOO easy thru their! We used to see who could do the longest tyre spin thru their. It would look like you are doing a rolling burnout at 130! It was awsome! Didnt like the wagon wehhl that much.. It always stayed cold till about noon. Then you had little bend. Man that corner would catch so many people off! From the apex to about 4 feet out its flat then from their to the edge of the track it drops off camber like 5-6 feet! People would try and 250GP it thru their and crash like crazy. If you point and shoot its cool but you watch your ass! :rockon:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back