2014 Mustang Will Depart from Current Retro Design

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
hey, i can always just pick up a 68 fastback and restomod the fuck out of it!

I'd kill to be able to do that but god, they are gettin' expensive. I'd love a '67 or '68 Bullitt to match my '08 but they are just goin' for stupid prices these days...

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
not to hang on anyone's nuts here... but i totally agree with everything you've said here. i would fucking love to have a real fast back... i was toying around with the idea of what it would look like on my 09. i hope something like that comes out, but if not... hey, i can always just pick up a 68 fastback and restomod the fuck out of it!

look up the iacocca mustang

iacocca_mustang_pictures10.jpg

iacocca-45th-anniversary-edition-ford-mustang7.jpg

ford-mustang-lee-iacocca-45th-anniversary-edition-2009-img_4.jpg

LegendLives

Reaction score
I actually saw one at the American Muscle car show and I was not impressed. The back lower bottom was hideous and the interior was just plain. It looked like it was on the right track but they didn't finish the job. Just my opinion.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Mustang can't be "retro" forever. Dropping the solid axle is a mistake however. If they were smart they would offer the solid axle as an option at least.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
The Mustang can't be "retro" forever. Dropping the solid axle is a mistake however. If they were smart they would offer the solid axle as an option at least.

Do you know how much more expensive that would make it to build? Using an IRS design that for a car that can come IRS or SRA always results in a compromise.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Time for me to chime in now that theres a few pages.

Oh god, please no! Those are the ugliest fucking cars ever! I even liked these better than the foxes...

Correct. Foxes suck unless youre a lightweight, bargan drag racer. At least the II, even though it sucked balls then and still reeks of 70s Carter inspired, sucky malaise, has some character, some actual styling. The thing that sinks it visually is what ANY car from 74- 79 had to contend with, stupid, clunky 5 MPH bumpers and to a lesser degree, what else, tailights. Just like the 71 -73 tails, while not so bad looking back now, were a dumb departure back then. Something about the ass end of cars Ford just cant seem to get right.

We can bash the II all we want, but it SAVED the Mustang. Mustang sales had fallen off like a rock BECAUSE they got bloated and big. When the II came out, sales shot back up. 73 sales were 134,867. 74 sales were 385,993, within 10% of the first 12 months sales when Mustang debuted in Apr 64.

Moving on, yeah, the 71-73s were big, but OUR S197s are only ONE INCH shorter than those years. Retro indeed.

I recognized the Guigiaro concept and I still dont like it now like I didnt like it then. Too fucking Guido. If I wanted Guido, regardless of whether J Mays "ordered" it for himself or not, Id whack off to a Ferrari calandar.

As far as IRS, stop fucking bitching. REGARDLESS of "world car", "One Ford" or not, the Mustang needs to step into the 21st century. If they build it RIGHT, with hardened, STRONG compenents, it will be fine. Otherwise, the aftermarket will step in and solve your problems. It will solve them either way, regardless of how well (or not) the IRS works in a drag application.

As far as those who say "the Mustang cant stay retro forever", ehh, kinda true, but not really. It also doesnt have to totally reinvent itself and be relegated to only tenously claiming "Mustang Heritage" because of a running pony in a chrome corral on the grill and some new, gay attempt at once again "interpreting" 3 bar tailights.

Build a new chassis, platform and just skin it with a "retro" interpretation of say the 66s or yes, the dreaded, fat 71s. Or blend cues, w/e.

As far as those who bemoan not having a "true fastback", umm our S197s mimic, imitate, PERFECTLY the 65/6 fastback design, so I dont see where the loss is.

The photoshopped pic of the red 2010 with the "true" fastback shows EXACTLY wtf Ford shouldve done with the taillights, regardless of fastback or not.

Yes, Traction Lok was an option on IIs from the start even though the first year had no V8.

Lastly, Ive followed the Falcon since I got online in 2000, hence my screenname. Its a kick ass car and Id LOVE for it to come here, not just donate its platform. It shouldnt take the place of the SHO but be an alternative for Ford loyalists who want a V8, rear drive, hot rod 4 door, like the CTS V or BMW M5.

For those who want to know about the Falcon and its supercharged 5.0, click here:

http://www.fpv.com.au/fpv-range/gt/overview.aspx

335kw is 449 in normal HP.

The engine:

http://www.fpv.com.au/the-new-boss-v8.aspx

Last edited:

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
look up the iacocca mustang

iacocca_mustang_pictures10.jpg

nice find. i've seen pics of it before, just never with a view of the rear end. i would much rather carry it out different and rake the rear window a little flatter. but that's just me, and i'm not a car builder.

the reason i like the 68/69 over the 65/66 is because the lines go all the way to the edge of the trunk

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
i think that this is a big mistake. i think what attracted a lot of us newer, and first time Ford/Mustang buyers WAS THE RETRO styling. i liked the new edge, and even to some extent the SN95s but not enough to spend my hard earned cash on one.

when i saw the s197 i instantly LOVED the looks. that lead to reading up on them to driving one and in the end buying my 07 GT OVER a terminator. thats how much better i liked the 05+ car.

i think that a departure from the retro neo look is a bad bad bad move. you can modernize the look and keep it distinctly mustang imho. even if a 2014 mustang looked like a C6 or some other sports car i really dont know if id go for it. it wouldnt be a mustang anymore then. its hard to explain.
I know exactly what you mean!!!! I LOVE my '08...cause it reminds me of the 69 i had many years ago!! Hell my 69 was only 9 years old when i bought it! I even painted the hood of my '08 to look like the Mach 1 scheme.

gunz4me

Reaction score
I am torn on the IRS versus Live Axle thing. I love the looks of my 2006 GT but I preferred the ride and handling of the 2003/2004 Cobra on Louisiana's craptastic highways. On the other hand, I've test driven the new Camaro and the Challenger only to find that they offered no significant improvements to make me consider another "pony" car.

Oh well, maybe the 2014 Mustang will excite me better than the current offerings in the car market.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
I am torn on the IRS versus Live Axle thing. I love the looks of my 2006 GT but I preferred the ride and handling of the 2003/2004 Cobra on Louisiana's craptastic highways. On the other hand, I've test driven the new Camaro and the Challenger only to find that they offered no significant improvements to make me consider another "pony" car.

Oh well, maybe the 2014 Mustang will excite me better than the current offerings in the car market.

:lol:

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score

This just goes to show that a properly setup log will out perform a poorly setup irs.

IF ford goes to the IRS, i hope they did it right.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
This just goes to show that a properly setup log will out perform a poorly setup irs.

IF ford goes to the IRS, i hope they did it right.

That's true, I remember reading that the Mustang SRA was far better than either IRS setup offered by Chevy and Dodge.

That said, the Falcon with it's IRS has always been praised, it works for drag racing too:

zxmarekxz

Reaction score
That's true, I remember reading that the Mustang SRA was far better than either IRS setup offered by Chevy and Dodge.

That said, the Falcon with it's IRS has always been praised, it works for drag racing too:

if they make it work well at the strop, then i'm down..

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
if they make it work well at the strop, then i'm down..

Are you guys all that ummm oblivious to IRS accomplishments. Do you know how many Vettes, Vipers, and Supra's have ran into the 7's with IRS? IRS Terminators have ran into the 8's with their flawed geometry IRS. Some of you are gun shy because of the previous Mustang IRS, which was flawed from the beginning as a band aid.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If they get the IRS right, and it is bulletproof, then I'm in.

But I'd still rather have the live axle for it's simple strength.

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score

So basically you prefer a car that rides like shit? LOL

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Do any of you Ummm Mustang dudes, like tracks that are not straight all the way?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back