3.7 Hesitation Problems

REX347

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 V-6 Mustang Auto and at WOT in 2nd gear at right before 5k rpms there is a slight pause/hesitation. What would cause something like this? I have to assume it has something to the varable cam timing. Has anyone else experienced this? Does a tune fix this?

TheRookie65

Reaction score
I have a 2011 V-6 Mustang Auto and at WOT in 2nd gear at right before 5k rpms there is a slight pause/hesitation. What would cause something like this? I have to assume it has something to the varable cam timing. Has anyone else experienced this? Does a tune fix this?

I can tell you I have never had that issue before or after my tune. I read your post yesturday and went to the track today with your issue in mind, she climbed straight through 5K...... Hope you get it figured out!

JerryC

Reaction score
Fiirst two things to come to mind are:
Advance trac cutting power (my 5.0 does this in 3rd at ~80mph, i have no idea why))
Spark retard becuse of knocking

REX347

forum member
Reaction score
It had 93 in it last night at the track and the Traction control was off. Took it to the dealer this AM and talked to the sevice managed, who's also a racer. Took him for a ride and he expected the car to fall on its face. Its only a slight pause guess not really a hesitation. He saw it but said since it only happens at WOT ford probably wont do anything about it. He offered to take another car out to see if it was a common problem, but I passed. I figure with the auto and 2.73 gears it just adjust the cams to help the car get out of the hole and advances it after peak torque in 2nd gear, becuase after that it has no other issues. I would love to put a set of 3.55's in the car and see what it picks up at the track. Weather wasnt as good as the first time to the track. Only managed a 14.51@97mph with a 2.244 60ft.

REX347

forum member
Reaction score
Then throw a tune and CAI in that thing........

Thinking about it. Your running some impressive numbers. What kind of 60ft's are you pulling with the 2.73's? The car is such a dog off the line with the 2.73's.

JerryC

Reaction score
I saw a post where somebody threw a canned SCT tune on the v6 and picked up 3 three tenths on 87 octane I think it was.

TheRookie65

Reaction score
Thinking about it. Your running some impressive numbers. What kind of 60ft's are you pulling with the 2.73's? The car is such a dog off the line with the 2.73's.

2.180 for 60 ft..... I posted my time slips under the 1/4 mile drag times thread. I have a set of MTs and waiting on the rims to arrive, should help with my 60ft....... I can tell you this though, I have my best time with traction control ON!

REX347

forum member
Reaction score
I pulled a 2.21 last night. Are you switching gears too? Are you experiencing wheel spin off the line even with the 2.73's? I know I can foot brake the car to 2000rpms and still not experience any wheel spin. What kind of Gas mileage are you seeing with the 3.31's? I got 30.4 on the way to the Track last night.

TheRookie65

Reaction score
I pulled a 2.21 last night. Are you switching gears too? Are you experiencing wheel spin off the line even with the 2.73's? I know I can foot brake the car to 2000rpms and still not experience any wheel spin. What kind of Gas mileage are you seeing with the 3.31's? I got 30.4 on the way to the Track last night.

Right now I'm going to stick with the 2.73s...With my tune and traction control off I do have wheel spin off the line. I'm just trying to figure out why I have a better 60' time with traction control off butt a lower ET and Trap. With traction control on I have a slower 60' time but a better ET and trap.....

46foxcoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Fiirst two things to come to mind are:
Advance trac cutting power (my 5.0 does this in 3rd at ~80mph, i have no idea why))
Spark retard becuse of knocking

My 5.0 will cut power with the advance trac in third gear too. It's spinning the tires...

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I hope you get your problem worked out. Just curious,(not trying to be offensive) why did you buy a V6 if you are racing it at the track that much?

JerryC

Reaction score
My 5.0 will cut power with the advance trac in third gear too. It's spinning the tires...

It's funny, on the way home today I rolled into the throttle @75 instead of hammering it and it just took off.

I had not considerd wheelspin till I got home and read your reply :) Kinda makes sense now...

REX347

forum member
Reaction score
I hope you get your problem worked out. Just curious,(not trying to be offensive) why did you buy a V6 if you are racing it at the track that much?

Its the wifes car. She wanted a Mustang. I didnt want the insurance a a 5.0 and wanted the 30mpg. Plus I figured I didnt need another race car. Motor is out of the race car being freshened so gotta get my fix. Plus I am curious how quick I can get it and how fast it was.

Oh and I am trying to get the wife ready for NMRA in Houston to run True Street. Want to get it close to 14.0.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Its the wifes car. She wanted a Mustang. I didnt want the insurance a a 5.0 and wanted the 30mpg. Plus I figured I didnt need another race car. Motor is out of the race car being freshened so gotta get my fix. Plus I am curious how quick I can get it and how fast it was.

Oh and I am trying to get the wife ready for NMRA in Houston to run True Street. Want to get it close to 14.0.

Shouldn't take much to get it there!

TheRookie65

Reaction score

It's my wifes car also, but I chose the Mustang...... LOL

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Torque converter lockup? My Ford Five Hundred does the same thing. At XX rpm in 2nd at WOT it feels like a hesitation, but its the TC locking up.

REX347

forum member
Reaction score
Torque converter lockup? My Ford Five Hundred does the same thing. At XX rpm in 2nd at WOT it feels like a hesitation, but its the TC locking up.

Possibly never thought about that.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back