4.6 3v Odd Tap Sound ONLY Under Load

Dacoda Williams

Reaction score
Recently I had posted somewhere about a small miss I had. Turns out I had a bad O2 sensor. Next on my bucketlist of issues was this slight tap the car makes only when in gear and given throttle. The noise doesnt happen when the car is in neutral or the clutch is pressed down. Along with that it only makes the noise when i press the throttle while in gear, if I am coasting in say 3rd without giving it gas it doesnt make the noise. Leading me to believe its a transmission issue. I want to first off start by saying the car does have a SLIGHT ehaust leak from where the previous owner welded in some garbage test pipes in. I think that could be the cause of the issue because the tapping sound is relatively faint, no louder than if you were to knock your hand onto your coffee table, (rather you can hear that at that volume even though the car is straight piped), leading me to believe its due to that. I know one recall was issued for some transmission plate, but as my car was made in late 05 it doesnt look like its affected. Anything sound amiss here or just paranoia? Also I did order new headers which should be in in a week.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
What exhaust setup is on the car currently? I know mine has, under load, I guess you could say a similar sound but I’m confident it’s to do with the catless X pipe setup, I’ve never quite been happy with the sound since I ditched the H pipe.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Does it happen when you let off the throttle? Thinking u-joints in the driveshaft

moooosestang

Reaction score
What exhaust setup is on the car currently? I know mine has, under load, I guess you could say a similar sound but I’m confident it’s to do with the catless X pipe setup, I’ve never quite been happy with the sound since I ditched the H pipe.
I'd say your unhappiness has more to do with ditching the cats than the x pipe. try adding some resonators in front of the axle.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Recently I had posted somewhere about a small miss I had. Turns out I had a bad O2 sensor. Next on my bucketlist of issues was this slight tap the car makes only when in gear and given throttle. The noise doesnt happen when the car is in neutral or the clutch is pressed down. Along with that it only makes the noise when i press the throttle while in gear, if I am coasting in say 3rd without giving it gas it doesnt make the noise. Leading me to believe its a transmission issue. I want to first off start by saying the car does have a SLIGHT ehaust leak from where the previous owner welded in some garbage test pipes in. I think that could be the cause of the issue because the tapping sound is relatively faint, no louder than if you were to knock your hand onto your coffee table, (rather you can hear that at that volume even though the car is straight piped), leading me to believe its due to that. I know one recall was issued for some transmission plate, but as my car was made in late 05 it doesnt look like its affected. Anything sound amiss here or just paranoia? Also I did order new headers which should be in in a week.
An exhaust leak down stream of the 02's could for sure sound like this and not have any other symptoms. Does it do it when revving the engine or only under load?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back