5.0 manual, E85, BOSS intake, and small dry nitrous shot??

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score

that sounds like more of a shifting problem. It doesnt sounds like a nitrous problem. The first thing that is coming into my mind is, do you have an aftermarket shifter. My thoughts are that the motor could be torquing enough to keep the shifter from hitting the right gears. Other thing i could think of is that the rpm is getting high enough that the syncho is having problems letting the gear change happen. Which is unlikely since there are plenty of cars shifting in the 7500+ rpms. Could also be clutch problems. Its one of those things that you would have to check out.

Aftermarket engine mounts could help with the torque over problem if the motor is torqing to much.

Thanks for the detailed response. As far as the nitrous power falling off on the top end, is the fix a larger shot but with a progressive controller to limit the flow in the mid range?

Your recommendations on getting good dyno tunes makes perfect sense. In addition to protecting the motor, seeing the power curve is going to tell whether the combination is running out of steam, your effective rpm range, etc.

yeah no problem. The power fall of wouldn't be that the nitrous isn't making the correct power it would be the motor hitting limits (rpm, airflow, efficiency , ETC.) That is why I recommended that you get it on a dyno and find where the power is falling off is. No two cars are the same. There could be a turbulence issue on the at the heads while spraying. It could also be an atomization of the fuel and nitrous problem. It could be a combination of all of the above.

Ill try to do some research and calling around to see what i can find out. I don't see why the coyote would not keep making power at 7000+ with nitrous and boss intake.

Is there anyone that has a dyno showing that power falls off past 7000 with nitrous on a boss manifold???

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
so i was doing some research yesterday. From what I was seeing, the boss manifold is starting to take over on power at 6500 and start really starting to shine until 7400-7500. This extends your power band right at 1000 RPM.

Now theoretically using nitrous is just going to increase your power. Its not going to extend it. The power band should stay the same you just have more of it. So that being said if your intake is making power at 7400 then it should just be increase with nitrous exponentially according to what shot you are using.

Now there are a lot of factors that go against this, but it is a general rule of thumb.

Can anyone find a nitrous boss intake pull to 7400?? Im hoping to get one of you customers intake done in the next couple of weeks so we can get some numbers of our own.

Hope this helps you guys some.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I ended up pulling my Boss intake off and selling it allready, not only because of this issue, but because of another issue w/ my nitrous plate... Hoever I loved it because I could rev the motor higher etc.. but I learned something a long time ago, Nitrous and boost (any added cyclinder pressure)+ very high revs on a 11:1 motor=BOOM. And since there is not concrete numbers or many people running this combo just yet, I figured I would just hold off on that combo for now.. however I did see that Hellions TT 5.0 also has the Boss intake on it.. not sure if the motor is still stock or not though. I was pulling my car to 7500 rpms and then shifting, but never had it on a dyno seeing when the power fell off.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Can anyone find a nitrous boss intake pull to 7400?? Im hoping to get one of you customers intake done in the next couple of weeks so we can get some numbers of our own.

Hope this helps you guys some.

I'm going to try my best to do this this coming weekend. If only NANO refills weren't so hard to find.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
trying to find someone to fill the nitrogen?? Yeah i would love to see how your car does. If you do get it done this weekend would you mind sending over a picture of the dyno. pm'ed or emailed

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
Yup. Tried all local paintball stores. Tried a couple of welding supply stores. Tried one out of town paintball store and no luck yet.

You dont have to have it filled with nitrogen. You can have it filled with compressed air from the paint ball places. Depending on what kit you have will depend on what psi you fill too. 3000 = 3000 psi and 4500 = 4500 psi.

Hope that helps you out:beer:

RSKtakR

Reaction score
great numbers and times! I got my car back together lastnight w/ the stock intake and the nitrous kit, tune loaded etc, went and took it for a drive, and MAN I wish I wouldnt have sold that Boss intake so quickly. I REALLY miss it vs the stocker. If the kid hadn't paid me allready I would keep it and put it back on I think and run it after seeing the numbers posted above. However to run it I need a different Nitrous plate, and a 16" fuel line vs the 12".

Long Stroke, what plate do you have on your Boss intake? The Nitrous Express one I have has the lines going in the plate at a 45 degree angle on the top right and left, but the fittings DONT tilt bacwards or anything and I was worried about the lines being damaged or pinched when I closed the hood.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
Rsktakr what brand plate were u running?? Nx??

You can always talk to 50resto.com. They have them in stock and cheap free shipping. Last time I looked 50resto were 399 for the boss manifold.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Rsktakr what brand plate were u running?? Nx??

You can always talk to 50resto.com. They have them in stock and cheap free shipping. Last time I looked 50resto were 399 for the boss manifold.

ya the plate that came w/ my NX kit for the 5.0 is what I have now, but the one in the manual shows a different type of plate on a Boss intake w/ the solenoids tilted backwards towards the windshield at a 45 degree angle as well as them being tilted out at the 45 degree angle towards the fenders. I am going to call NX here in a bit and see if there is a Boss specific plate. If there is Im sure I wont like that price of it. I will just pick up another used Boss intake when one comes up for sale, they seem to pop up frequently.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Ok so I called NX, they have 2 90 degree fittings and the 4" longer fuel line I will need to run the Boss intake w/ the 1st version of the NX nitrous plate. I was able to just send the guy that bought my Boss intake a refund, and keep it, he was good w/ that so now I am back on track.. after the new parts get here from NX, the Boss intake goes back on, then to the dyno it goes for the E85 tune with the 100 shot.. :partysmilie:

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you could keep that boss manifold!! One word of advice on the 90 degree bends. You should be good on 100 shot possibly 150. But when you start to add 90 degree bends into the nitrous and fuel lines the atomization can be compromised. You should be good with your nitrous shot though! I cant wait to see how yours does.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Thanks Neal, I can't wait either! So I was looking at your website, and found that direct port Boss intake manifold.....ohhhhhhhhhhh I want that! Lol

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Neal, I can't wait either! So I was looking at your website, and found that direct port Boss intake manifold.....ohhhhhhhhhhh I want that! Lol

hell yeah. we are doing a hidden under the manifold direct port in the next 2 weeks. im going to be posting pictures of it as we are doing it.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
You dont have to have it filled with nitrogen. You can have it filled with compressed air from the paint ball places. Depending on what kit you have will depend on what psi you fill too. 3000 = 3000 psi and 4500 = 4500 psi.

Hope that helps you out:beer:

No luck. Anyone wants to purchase a brand new NANO kit before I take it out to the gun range!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back