6 speed auto - strong?

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
The interesting thing is that all of this transmissions uses get the same designation. I wonder what the torque rating of the Mustang 6R80 is in comparison to say the Raptors. If the transmission was the same across the board it would make sense as to why the Mustangs is so stout.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I'll be swapping one in down the line.. This MT82 is garbage. I just can't afford to do it yet. I have to wait a year or two for them to pile up in the salvage yards. ;)

stang06girl

Mod Motor Momma
Reaction score
You 5.0 guys are really lucky to have an auto with potential. As I understand it, the 6R80 is based on the C6 which is mega beefy. Although there isn't alot of performance parts specifically out for the 6R80W (yet), if it is based on the C6, Development of these components shouldn't be too difficult.

The pre-05 stangs is based on the C4, and can be made to handle pretty amazing torque.

The 5r55s in the 05-10 stangs is based on something else totally, and is a total piece of junk, which is on borrowed time above 500 hp. There hasn't been a whole lot of success in being able to beef it up either.

So is the guide to on how to decipher the trans designation

The first number is for the number of gears
The second letter is for rear or front wheel drive
The next two numbers indicate the torque capability in NM divided by 10
I can't remember what the last letter stands for.

By the codes:
A 4R70W is a 4 speed, rear wheel drive with 700 NM (or 516 ft-b) capacity
A 5R55S is a 5 speed, rear wheel drive, with 550 NM (or 405.7 ft-b) capacity
A 6R80W is a 6 speed, rear wheel drive, with 800 NM (or 590 ft-lb) capacity.

So you 2011 5.0 guys have a very promising auto trans. I will probably swap my 5R55s out with a 4R70W just due to the fact that there are conversion kits out for this swap. But I would like to see someone swap out a 6R80 into a 05-10 stang.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I highly doubt the 6R80 is based on the C6. The size is different and the physical architecture is totally different. The C6 has been out of production for quite some time. Ford has no history of going backward to advance some thing forward.

I'm quite sure the 6R80 was a clean sheet design.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
The thing I find interesting is even though the ZF 6HP28 shares all of the gear ratios with the 6R80 that Ford has no problem identifying it as a ZF transmission in other Ford cars. Like the Ford Falcon for instance, its specs show the ZF 6HP28 and not 6R80.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
The difference there is purchasing ZF transmissions versus building them under license.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back