6 speed auto - strong?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been reading about the new automatic.

Has anyone with a big power car (blower/turbo/NOS) made one of these fail yet? Do we know the limits yet?

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just by deciphering the factory's nomenclature, it is clear that Ford believes the new transmission is stronger than the 4R70w.

2005mach1

forum member
Reaction score
I build 6r80 automatic all day
I too think they are stronger then 4r70 which I made before 6r80

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score
When I called Ford Racing regarding their superchargers I asked them this same question. They told me, "they found out different," and that was why no blowers for autos.

whippled06

Kelley Performance
Reaction score
I have been 10.30's so far with mine and it hasnt skipped a beat. I am in the middle of a nitrous/blower combo that i believe will find the limits quikly! We will see

Sean

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
lots of auto's inthe 10's already.... once it warms up mine will be added to that list.

I hope to be in the 10s as well soon with an auto.

I'll take my chances with the auto over the M6 for reliability. Lot easier on the rest of the drivetrain too, time will tell though. I went low 11s for a long time on a very weak stock 4l60 trans and 7.5 GM rear on ET streets and never broke anything while everyone else was blowing them up left and right. A lot depends if its used hard or abused - big difference.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
When I called Ford Racing regarding their superchargers I asked them this same question. They told me, "they found out different," and that was why no blowers for autos.

The funny thing is, every one of the "my trans is the suxxor!" threads is about a MT82. There hasn't even been rumors posted about a broken 6R80.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
The funny thing is, every one of the "my trans is the suxxor!" threads is about a MT82. There hasn't even been rumors posted about a broken 6R80.
perhaps a reasonable swap would be from the stock 6R80 that is also behind the 5.0 in the trucks.
from what i remember reading the 6R80 that is mated to the 6.2 has been slightly beefed up

if i were to make the move to a 5.0 id get the auto over the stick.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely get the 6R80 over the stick. Also, you wouldn't need to change the whole transmission to get the benefit of the 6.2L's additional clutches, you could just add the additional clutches and swap the pressure plates or pistons depending on where the clearance comes from. Worst case, it may require a clutch drum change but I'd doubt it.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score

+1

Just looking at the internet you would think Ford would not be selling a blower for the stick cars, like I said time will tell.

Sure would be nice if someone came up with an aftermarket trans dipstick though, cant easily look/smell the fluid to see if its burning up :)

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any websites to check out where I can learn about the 6R80?

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
I've been pretty hard on mine since I bolted the blower on and changed the fluid for the heck of it the other day after going to the track. Original fluid looked so good I almost put it back in. That doesnt mean it wont break an input shaft or planetary, but its not burning the fluid so its holding the power. Time will tell..

All I know is if someone wants to make some money come up with a real trans dipstick/filler tube that bolts on these because checking the fluid level is a royal pain in the ass.

Last edited:

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have any websites to check out where I can learn about the 6R80?

I dont have the URL but search around for the 2011 service manual on line, they have the assembly/disassembly manuals so you can see what it looks like inside.

cruzing2much

forum member
Reaction score
I've been 10.11 @ 138mph with no problems at all and just got off the dyno earlier today and made 650 rwhp and 570 tq going to the track tomorow and hopefully see that 9 sec slip...

C

chuck@EvolutionPerformanc

I know of at least one auto that has been 9's on the stock tranny.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back