6speed to auto swap?

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
This is my opinion.

Auto's win drag races (I have had several auto and manual cars.)

Manuals are usually quicker with the same bolt on type mods and driven great down the track. But once you get into big power a manual just does not 60' as well as a stalled auto. So if all you car about is going fast in a straight line a lot, buy an auto.

Manual with the same power are, more fun on the street, win roll races, auto-X way faster. Before you noobs chime in and say that roll racing is gay. My point here is 99 - 100 times if you happen to race on the street it is from a roll because no one stops in the middle of the road unless it is some sort of pre setup race. The people that set up those types of races will need an auto.

Thats another myth as well, a stalled auto with a good shift extension is going to be always in the powerband from a roll. I know all of you guys never miss shift and power shift in your sleep but not everyone is as good with a shift lever in there hands. I have personally beat cars that dynoed 80 rwhp higher than me from a 60 roll manual vs stalled auto.

With the new 6 speed autos and there close gear spacing some of the old advantages that a manual had are now minimal at best. There are now quite a few cars which are quicker with automatics or dual clutch transmissions than they are with a manual.

filtercharger

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone's reasoning for owning autos or sticks are very true and valid, in my case, I'm pretty comfortable handling mine manually, and until the car gets to the point that is no longer a streetable machine, I feel is more fun to drive a stick. I have not had one issue with mine so far!(getrag makes the trannys for the tt supras, and I know they can take a beating!) plus I think is more impressive to see a fast stick street car at the track vs an auto. For did nail it with the auto this time!

PBstallis

forum member
Reaction score
Thats fine, have you ever heard of a girl named Ashley Force?
yeah a girl whos dad made lots of money already from drag racing and had damn near the best car money could buy thrown in front of her. She really worked her way up from no where ha

jmatero

Reaction score
I've driven manuals exclusively for 25 years and had I known the issues I was in for with the MT82 I'd have forgotten the brembo and went for an auto. First clutch and flywheel replaced at 1000 miles. Fixed on/off behavior for 500 miles... Now it's back. My gears bind and grind... They added friction modifier... Better for a while but now at 2000 miles grinding is back. Try driving in traffic with a clutch you can't slip.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
I know that a big stalled auto is faster at the drag strip, but driveablility goes down with that as well as gas mileage. Also, I see posts saying that a manual will cost more due to needing a better clutch, well how long is that auto going to hold up throwing 600+ rwhp at it?

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I know that a big stalled auto is faster at the drag strip, but driveablility goes down with that as well as gas mileage. Also, I see posts saying that a manual will cost more due to needing a better clutch, well how long is that auto going to hold up throwing 600+ rwhp at it?

Where do I start on this one but let me ask first have you ever owned a stalled auto car?

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Where do I start on this one but let me ask first have you ever owned a stalled auto car?

Yes. LS1 3500 stall.

You can say a lot of great things about a big stalled auto but great driveablity is not one of them. Someone mentioned a 2800 stall which is hardly worth the money. What's the factory 2400? I'm not sure how much improvement a 2800 stall would be when the max torque on these cars is much higher.

I agreed with you that an auto is much faster at the track so I'm not sure where you are going with this.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Haven't heard/seen one break yet. It is more durable than the MT bar none.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
right but at what point will his clutch shoot craps like most everyone else's and the pedal need to be replaced? the neverending clutch problem (until Ford actually redesigns it CORRECTLY) is the ONLY reason I would goto the auto. when my clutch was replaced.. it just got replaced w/ the same POS that just shot craps at 6700 miles on my car. along w/ the pedals. I dont have the extra $1k sitting around to goto an aftermarket clutch, and its crap that my brand new car has a neverending clutch issue.. at this point anyways. :deadhorse:

What clutch issue are you talking about? I make more power than you and have no complaints with the clutch, and I give this car hell.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
1000.... not having the clutch pedal stick to the floor...priceless!!!!!

Everyone with the aftermarket clutch doesnt seem to have the pedal stick issue.. your point is null.

lol

Seems like a pretty even trade....we have to buy a clutch, you have to buy a converter....

All comes down to preference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back