AC Problem Compressor kicks on and off

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have AC on MAX with blower on full? Have to ask...

Since you aren't running a set of gauges where you can see if the high pressure sides is over pressurizing and tripping that switch, and that you're hitting 40 (IMHO too high since I've found our cars are sensitive to overfill), you may also have too much.

Honestly, you really don't know where you're at for low vs. high side without out a good set of gauges to monitor system health and diagnose the problem. If it was me, and after I had my gauges hooked up to make sure the high side isn't over-pressurizing, I would bypass the low and high side switches one at a time to further diagnose the system.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I can try that. Can you point me in the right direction for how do to do that. During bypass of each, what would I be looking for? I was running it on max!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

just to show you what my wifes would do....this is the compressor kicking on and off. Eventually as i added more and more. the compressor would not kick on and off, and the needle would stay in the green around 30.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Yea I was afraid i was getting too much pressure in there. I took it Friday to a place and got it evacuated and filled back up with leak detector. Everything works normal now, but I'm sure I'll be detecting a leak shortly.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I was afraid i was getting too much pressure in there. I took it Friday to a place and got it evacuated and filled back up with leak detector. Everything works normal now, but I'm sure I'll be detecting a leak shortly.

Sometimes that is what is needed. Not every leak just shows it self easily. Sometimes even with the dye they are hard to detect.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well guess the leak is pretty significant because last night it was blowing hot air again. I didn't notice if the compressor was coming on or not, so I just turned it off. I've got a friends high intensity UV light gun and glasses. I'm going to try to see if I can determine where the freon is leaking tonight since when it got recharged I had them put dye in it.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So confirmation on the compressor kicking out being a loss of Freon. The UV light with goggles showed me approximately where the problem lies. I believe my up pipe was ridding against one of my lines right up against the passenger side frame rail. Does anyone have a diagram of those two lines. One has a spongy black covering on it and I think the other one has a large cylinder on it from what I could see laying on my back with my car half on a curb half off at night.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Thanks for that Michael, I think it is either the Compressor to Condenser Discharge line or the Condenser to Evaporator line.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
sounds like you have a leak maybe one of the valve on the high side or low side .... look at the front and rear of your compressor does it look a little wet, check your condensor for any wet looking spots. if all looks good replace the two valves and get it vaccumed for about 30-45 min. then let it set with guages closed and monitor guage for air coming in system.

if there is a ac shop near you take it and they can check it with the leak detector it will smell the freon and start beeping.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
LOL i didnt read your post about your line rubbing .... you can save some money and get the line built for cheaper then buying the new line again... if you do make sure u get the hose made with two ropes inside not just one.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
2 ropes inside??? It would be nice to get a custom one made and routed away from my up pipe. I guess that pipe shifted since the first time I installed the kit 3 years ago. The bottom of that area on the frame rail were real wet with freon oil and dye. I just couldn't tell exactly which line it was coming out of since it looks like an explosion in that area.

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
yea they make differnt types of hoses if you look at the tip of it you will see either one layer of rope or two two is much stronger.... and customs hoses my dad makes ac hoses. he made mine when i put a LS1 in my s10 but you are pretty far away lol

BirdMan65

Reaction score
2 ropes inside???

I believe the needed term is 'single braided' or double braided' or something equivilant! At least it was when I worked in a hydraulic dept.

Yeah, the single braid didn't handle much pressure at all. And there are different types of braid material like cotton, wire, etc.

Dale C.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I think I'm going to try to pull these hoses soon and figure out which one has the leak. Order a new one, replace, and then recharge. I have heard people suggest replacing items such as the drier while I'm doing it but what are your thoughts. The mechanic that charged the A/C on my jeep this weekend(new compressor) said don't even worry about the drier, fix the line, charge, and go.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the hoses from Tousley today. I ordered:
"Compressor to Condenser Tube" 19972(YF-3080)
"Dryer to Evaporator Tube" 19835B(YF-3078).

the total came out to about $150. Local retail was $161 for the condenser tube so I figured I'd just order both even though its probably only one of the two thats leaking.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe once you get them contact the guys at JPC and they might be able to help you. They do alot of Turbo work so maybe they can help with a relocation!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back