Adding LT's w/ highflows: X or H pipe?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
My next mod is gonna be Lt's with some high flow cats. I like loud but not Nascar loud so some high flows are in order. I have read shitloads of posts about each but still cant come to a conclusion of what the big difference is. So with LT's and High flows, what would you get?

I purchased my car used and it has an x pipe under there which is welded in. I would assume that it is aftermarket by the looks of the shitty weld job. LOL Being that I will have to cut in the high flow cats, what do you guys think about reusing my current x pipe (if x if the better way to go) to save on $ or not?

patrick

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, your X pipe is aftermarket. No, don't try and reuse it. You already have a shitty weld job done on it you say and fitment only works on matching branded midpipes to the headers unless you are good at fabrication and don't mind spending the time to do it. H pipes tend to be deeper and X pipes tend to be more raspy. What axlebacks are you going to be running or have you decided yet? Some sound better with the H, some with the X. Go on Youtube, you can hear any exhaust combo out there in existence just about.

Ricosbullitt

forum member
Reaction score
You might as well go with a combo (headers/midpipe) and ditch whatchya got now, being that is already botched kinda. As far as x vs h with long tubes, its a matter of opinion really. Read ALL the related threads, listen to you tube (best with headphones) and make a decision. Axlebacks will/can play a big part in sound/loudness.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Ok gotcha. After talking with several techs at brenspeed they really recommend Pype's LTs so I will be going with that brand. Their website only lists an xpipe for their LTs. So maybe I dont really have a choice for a H pipe with Pypes LT's. Where would I splice in the high flows? Metallic ones are way more than the cermamic ones? Whats the difference?
http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-mustang-exhaust-h---x-pipes.html#top

I know a lot of you guys swear by Kooks but I really cant see spending $1360 vs Pypes $679 plus $189 for HF cats, for a total of $870. I could spend that xtra $400 on something else.

What about gaskets? Just use the ones that come with the pypes LTs? What about hardware? Do I need to get anything else? I live on an island so mail order in advance really cuts out the frustration factor when you realize you need a part and its 3 days away at best.

I currently have spintech mufflers on my car, it came with them. They actually sound really good. I see no reason to change.

I go to youtube and check it out.

patrick

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back