Advice on SC or Turbo purchase

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
If this isn't tech please feel free to move, but you guys seem to be the ones that would know the answer to my question.

I'm not planning on tracking my car. I actually show it often though. I just want to add enough power (I'm on a budget) to be able to spank a new Camaro or GTO if the situation arises on the street. Basically, just to have the piece of mind that I can will make me feel better.
My current mods are in my sig. But basically, just a CAI, Tune, and Exhausts. I'm considering a SC but I'm not trying to spend a shit ton of money since I don't race the car as a practice. I don't want one of the leaf blower motor jobs either.

Basically what's the best bang for the buck to get me faster than an SS or GTO?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I don't want to have to spend a bunch of hidden cost either. I'd like a kit that has all I need in one pop. I can do the install myself, if that matters.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Yeah N20 would be the best bang for your buck to get your pass the SS and GTO. But if your on a budget, dont go turbo. Its the more expensive route, but will make more power.

Look for a complete kit here in the classifieds. A used kit would be the cheapest route. Either that or going with an aftercooled Vortech kit from one of the dealers if you wanna go new.....

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Well I just read that you didnt want to go with a centri blower at the end there....then twin screw would be the way.

Unfortunately the leaf blower is the cheapest bang for your buck. Most of them dont require fuel system upgrades like a decent turbo or twin screw will. Most of them run on a BAP.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Check this out if you are on a budget. This will get you to your goal easily without breaking the bank.
http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=74

Kick ass car dude!!!!

Yeah, that kit looks like what I'd want, but that's still a little higher than I had planned on spending. Wish I hadn't have just spent $600 on a CAI and Tune from Brenspeed. I'm sure both of those would be useless if I put on a SC, right?

Maybe a shot is the best way to go. My car only has 10k miles on it. If I just used it in have to cases I'd probably be ok to not hurt the engine, right?

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Well I just read that you didnt want to go with a centri blower at the end there....then twin screw would be the way.

Unfortunately the leaf blower is the cheapest bang for your buck. Most of them dont require fuel system upgrades like a decent turbo or twin screw will. Most of them run on a BAP.

Is the Centri blower the cheap crap or something? I'm just saying I don't want something that is a joke and not worth the money. I'm really dumb when it comes to SCs I used to mess with Turbos back in my younger days but not on Mustangs, lol

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
no, they arent cheap crap at all, I ran a centri on mine, they make good power. Just cheaper in price than the Twin-screws and turbo kits. Pay dirt is making 693rwhp with a centri and there are plenty of procharger guys making insane power with them.....(P.S. Prochargers are an expensive centri)

96blowncobra

forum member
Reaction score
centri is definately not the cheap crap! centri superchargers are actually really good for what your wanting to do being that they build boost and and pretty reasonable priced.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
here is a good kit for ya, makes good power and is complete. Plus since its a Brenspeed package the tuner is still useable, but the kit provides one so you can just sell yours and use the one provided in the kit.

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

Another option is Superchargersonline.com, they have really good prices.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
I was just going by what Green Bullet said about me not wanting a Centri. Cause all I said was I didn't want on of the Leaf blower jobs, lol. I've just heard people make fun of some of the Economy kits and don't want to get something that is crap.

So what can I get a good Centri kit for? Sounds like that is what I would want if it's the cheapest and still good power.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
here is a good kit for ya, makes good power and is complete. Plus since its a Brenspeed package the tuner is still useable, but the kit provides one so you can just sell yours and use the one provided in the kit.

http://www.brenspeed.com/v3vortech.html

Another option is Superchargersonline.com, they have really good prices.

That's a nice set up. I'm still trying to get something lower priced if I can get away with it. But I do like dealing with Brenspeed, those guys have their shit together.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
A good complete centri kit would be the one I provided above, $3600-$3800 new is a good price on them...

And I thought you meant the centri's when you were refering to a leaf blower, they kinda look like one.

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
That's a nice set up. I'm still trying to get something lower priced if I can get away with it. But I do like dealing with Brenspeed, those guys have their shit together.

Try and dig one up used here in the classifieds, or jumping around through the different forums, you may have some luck.

96blowncobra

forum member
Reaction score
plus keep your eyes out on the forums. you can usually pick up a complete kit for much less than new.

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
that magna charger is a steal of a price and still makes good power in the safer range for your stock engine. I always hated my centri chargers. i never got that throw you back in the seat feel you get with a twin screw or turbo.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Try and dig one up used here in the classifieds, or jumping around through the different forums, you may have some luck.

Thanks bro, yeah the ones on the other site are $3,600 ish for the Vortech or the Paxton. Almost the same price for either one. Which is the best?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back