AEM 2013 Mustang transmission mount

NoSlo5oH

forum member
Reaction score
Due to the uncertainty as to when my Whiteline transmission bushing might arrive, I decided to modify my transmission mount and pour my own ployurethane bushing. Here is the procedure that I intend to follow for this mod:

1. Support the transmission with a jack.
2. Remove the four 17mm bolts and two 15mm nuts holding the transmission crossmember in place and remove the crossmember.
3. Remove the three 15mm bolts from the transmission mount and remove the mount from rear of transmission.
4. Use a utility knife to cut the rubber bushing out of the mount. Note: This will take a considerable amount of time and patience.
5. Burn the remaining rubber out of the mount.
6. Coat the rear of the mount with contact cement and duct tape the entire backside of the mount.
7. Place the mount in a small tub containing sand.
8. Mix polyurethane and pour mixture into the mount until level with the top of the mount.
9. Wait approximately 5 days to make sure the polyurethane has plenty of time to cure.
10. Reinstall the newly modified mount and crossmember.
11. Go for a test drive and evaluate.

So far, I have completed steps 1 through 5 of the procedure and stopped here for now, as I recently thought of a few more steps that I would like to implement before I am ready to pour the new bushing. Here are a few pics.

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p790/10HUTT/image_zps48a295cd.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p790/10HUTT/image_zps05fb3597.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p790/10HUTT/image_zps121fe3f6.jpg
http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p790/10HUTT/image_zps08a65dda.jpg

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Pics dont work.

I thought abotu doing something similar. Theres a trick where people fill motor mounts with the shit you use to put a windshield in.

DSCN0441.jpg

enginemounts-4g-rear-front.jpg

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Pics dont work.

I thought abotu doing something similar. Theres a trick where people fill motor mounts with the shit you use to put a windshield in.

DSCN0441.jpg

enginemounts-4g-rear-front.jpg

I've thought about using this in the bushing in the center of my OE two piece drive shaft. Right now I can push up on my drive shaft at the center and see the bushing move up in its housing. I'd like to take some clunk out of it.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
I've thought about using this in the bushing in the center of my OE two piece drive shaft. Right now I can push up on my drive shaft at the center and see the bushing move up in its housing. I'd like to take some clunk out of it.

I'd avoid that "trick" on anything that rotates--too easy to get an imbalance that will be a huge headache.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'd avoid that "trick" on anything that rotates--too easy to get an imbalance that will be a huge headache.

I was going to fill the voids in the rubber bushing in the center mount. It doesn't rotate. However it may introduce some unwanted NVH if there is some imbalance in the shaft.

It's just an idea for now.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if that brushing is where my clunk is coming from?

NoSlo5oH

forum member
Reaction score
Got the mount back from the powder coater today and started making the jig which I will use to align everything before pouring the bushing. I have done all I can do on my end for now. Next week I will stop by my buddy's shop and have him weld on the tabs to align the bottom piece, as well as a tab for each side of the bottom piece to keep the polyurethane from leaking out while it's curing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 102

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
This looks fantastic.
I look forward to seeing how it holds up.

If my Mustang wasnt my DD I would be trying this. I might just have to go with the whiteline insert.

Last edited:

NoSlo5oH

forum member
Reaction score
This looks fantastic.
I look forward to seeing how it holds up.

If my Mustang wasnt my DD I would be trying this. I might just have to go with the whiteline insert.

Thanks! I just checked on the pour and it looks to be solidifying nicely. There is supposed to be a two day cure time, but I am going to give it a solid week just to be sure.

NoSlo5oH

forum member
Reaction score
When you gonna try it out , also with the whiteline mount did you remove the bottom of it to reduce vibration?

Not sure. My dilemma is, I just installed new Cometic gaskets and v-band clamps on my header to x-pipe flanges (which cost me upwards of $80.00), when installed the Whiteline mount. The transmission mount is not as easy to access on my car as it is for others with different exhaust setups. It requires me to unbolt my x-pipe in order to remove the transmission crossmember, as my rear o2 sensors are directly below the rear crossmember bolts. I may end up selling the modified mount to someone who wants it.

As for the Whiteline bushing, I didn't have to modify it at all. There's absolutely no vibration in the car with the Whiteline mount.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back