Airaid or JLT CAI

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I know alot of us have had and still use the JLT CAI's but for the 5.0's what does one offer over the other when it comes to these two CAI's.

I like both but I want the best. I read somewhere the JLT's can have noise MAF signals that are noted when tuning. Is this true??

And I don't want a weaksauce CAI if the Airaid is a no tune required setup either so talk to me!

LTX

Lava Red
Reaction score
JLT has always been good for me.. but I tried Airaid with my srt and there customer service was beyond amazing. Can't go wrong with either..

sleepy88

forum member
Reaction score
im running the JLT and have been happy. As far as customer service, I had an issue with the first run CAI for the 11' and after calling a had a new one next dayed to me and no issues since.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
JLT offers the largest MAF Housing.

Airaid has been known to be the easiest to tune for maf transfer.

This being said, neither are really worth a damn until you get into the high 10s as a few people have went low 11's on the stock airbox.

I had a conversation with Lund about this once, and he said himself, that he was able to extract some ridiculous power from the stock air box. Of course you will see some extra hp while sitting on a dyno with the hood up... but d you drive around like that?

FWIW, I tuned my red 5.0 with the stock air box. Ford did an excellent job on the stock cai/air box.

The airaid and C&L both have inserts that do not require tunes but can be removed and require tunes.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This being said, neither are really worth a damn until you get into the high 10s as a few people have went low 11's on the stock airbox.

I had a conversation with Lund about this once, and he said himself, that he was able to extract some ridiculous power from the stock air box. Of course you will see some extra hp while sitting on a dyno with the hood up... but d you drive around like that?

FWIW, I tuned my red 5.0 with the stock air box. Ford did an excellent job on the stock cai/air box.

The airaid and C&L both have inserts that do not require tunes but can be removed and require tunes.

Jay please quit feeding the troll!!!!!!!

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score

Stock airbox here. . . lund tuned, full exhaust. . . car feels amazing

K&N drop in tho of course :beer:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I suggest re-reading the test article on SVTP. You lose power will both the stock tune and tuned. You really think that a air filter that is a "drop-in" that isn't designed to require a tune, which loses power on the stock tune, will yield more power with a tune over the stock filter with a tune? Sorry to rain on your parade. That filter is designed for longevity, not power gains.

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest re-reading the test article on SVTP. You lose power will both the stock tune and tuned. You really think that a air filter that is a "drop-in" that isn't designed to require a tune, which loses power on the stock tune, will yield more power with a tune over the stock filter with a tune? Sorry to rain on your parade. That filter is designed for longevity, not power gains.

You show me where they tuned for the stock air filter vs the K&n, because that was not part of the article I read

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
I like both but I want the best.

Well I've tested a lot of them, my thoughts on the brand J compared to the others, it has several features that none of the rest did:

1. The only one with a hunting idle due to the poor MAF signal.
2. The only one that messes with the shifts and locks due to the poor MAF signal.
3. The only one where the tube just lays there loose to flop around, it isn't attached to the shield at all.
4. The only one that doesn't have a positive stop for the filter on the tube, so you can position it differently and it does affect signal when you do, so you can shift your MAF curve every time you remove/reinstall the filter.
5. The only one that doesn't include an open topped box around the filter. It just comes with a wall that goes around it, there is no bottom.
6. The only one that lays right up against the engine, the wall rubs on the cam cover.
7. The only one where the factory fresh air duct just lays there loose instead of being attached to the box.
8. The only one that actually made the car slower, since the car now didn't shift right and got on the limiter instead. None of the others made the car faster, but they sure didn't make it slower.

As you can see the Brand J is a very unique piece compared to the others. :thumb:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Well I've tested a lot of them, my thoughts on the brand J compared to the others, it has several features that none of the rest did:

1. The only one with a hunting idle due to the poor MAF signal.
2. The only one that messes with the shifts and locks due to the poor MAF signal.
3. The only one where the tube just lays there loose to flop around, it isn't attached to the shield at all.
4. The only one that doesn't have a positive stop for the filter on the tube, so you can position it differently and it does affect signal when you do, so you can shift your MAF curve every time you remove/reinstall the filter.
5. The only one that doesn't include an open topped box around the filter. It just comes with a wall that goes around it, there is no bottom.
6. The only one that lays right up against the engine, the wall rubs on the cam cover.
7. The only one where the factory fresh air duct just lays there loose instead of being attached to the box.
8. The only one that actually made the car slower, since the car now didn't shift right and got on the limiter instead. None of the others made the car faster, but they sure didn't make it slower.

As you can see the Brand J is a very unique piece compared to the others. :thumb:

Thanks kdanner. Much appreciated. :beer:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I've got 2, like new, brand J CAI's sitting in my garage needing owners. ;)

Look on the bright side... if you can't sell them, you and kdanner can go as elephants this year to a halloween party :D

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back