Airbag light on after factory seat swap/trade? Stumped....

C.Love

forum member
Reaction score
more than likely you have a code that needs to be cleared by ford or aomeone with a scanner. The bags were never deployed right just a seat change

devildog1679

forum member
Reaction score
Have you taken the car to a mechanic that can read Air bag codes? If not you should then they can tell you exactly what's causing it.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Have you taken the car to a mechanic that can read Air bag codes? If not you should then they can tell you exactly what's causing it.

Found a shop here that had one of those high end Snap-On scanner/reader devices.

The only fault that is showing in the car is:

U3000: Restraint Control Module

He attempted to clear the code but it wouldn't clear(he did all of this right in front of me).

Now I'm even more stumped than before. I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the RCM, but possibly there is still something in the 2012 seats that is still not compatable with the 2013 RCM.

I have a buddy with a 2013 that has offered to throw his front seats in to my car to see if his seats will clear the light. If it does clear the light then I will know for sure something else in the 2012 seats containing the 2013 airbags is not compatable. If the light remains on after his seats are in place I will basically have it narrowed down to two options:

- Find the remaining componets in the 2012 seats that are not compatable and are continuing to cause the airbag light

or

- The RCM is bad and needs replaced. I find this one pretty hard to believe since the light came on in both of our cars immediately after the seat swap.

-Nick

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Do the recaro seats have the air bladder in the passenger seat like the gt seat?

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

Swapped front seats with a buddy of mine that has a 2013. His is a premium coupe as mine is and does not have recaros.

With his seats installed in my car the airbag light is no longer continuously illuminated in the dash. The light turns on at start up for about 5 seconds and then turns off as it is supposed to.

Pretty much rules out that anything is wrong with the SRS system outside of the seats.

So. There has to be something else in the 2012 seats that I have that is triggering the airbag light.

I tried comparing 11-12 and the 13-14 SRS component part numbers on oemfordpart.com and the only part numbers that didn't match that I could see between 11-14 models are the airbags. However, I was unable to locate the passenger occupancy sensor part# to compare between the different years.

A part of me wants to think it may be the 2013 airbags I installed. Not sure why they would be triggering the light since my car is a 2013. For shits and giggles here are the part#'s of the airbags that I installed:

CR3Z-63611D11-A
CR3Z-63611D10-A

It's also worth mentioning that I purchased the 2013 airbags directly from Tousley, so they weren't previously installed in a different vehicle or anything like that.

Something that also isn't adding up is the code that the seats are triggering. Being that the code is U3000 which is the code for a faulty restraint control module(RCM), not sure how the RCM could be faulty if the code no longer exist when my buddies 2013 seats removed the lights.

This shit just doesn't make sense to me. Does anyone else see something that I'm missing??

-Nick

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
If you swapped in the 2013 airbags, then the only remaining difference is the occupant classification system in the passenger seat. Other than that, I can't think of anything different about the seats. I disassembled my 401A seats and installed the power tracks, adjustable lumbars, and heating elements into a set of FRPP Recaros, but the Recaros I bought have the correct part number for the 2011-2012 cars. While I left the airbags in place, I did swap the OCS bladder in the passenger seat just out of conservatism.

I hope you're able to get this figured out.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you swapped in the 2013 airbags, then the only remaining difference is the occupant classification system in the passenger seat. Other than that, I can't think of anything different about the seats. I disassembled my 401A seats and installed the power tracks, adjustable lumbars, and heating elements into a set of FRPP Recaros, but the Recaros I bought have the correct part number for the 2011-2012 cars. While I left the airbags in place, I did swap the OCS bladder in the passenger seat just out of conservatism.

I hope you're able to get this figured out.

Thanks.

After doing a little more research on the OCS system. I have found that it has its own ECU/control module for it. I still can't track down a replacement part# for it or if there are different part numbers for different model years.

I'm going to meet back up with my buddy and swap in only his passenger seat. If only his passenger seat removes my airbag light, it will confirm that the 2012 OCS bladder/module is what is continuing to trigger the light in the cluster.

I will report back in a couple hours with the results. If anyone can track down the part number for a 2013 I would GREATLY appreciate it.

-Nick

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*Another Update*

Went back over to my buddies that has the 2013. Installed ONLY his passenger seat in my car and it removed the airbag light as well.

So that means that the 2013 airbags I installed are good and that there must be a component remaining in the passenger seat that is triggering the airbag light.

My bet at this point would be that the Occupant Classification System is different between certain model years as the seat airbags are.

I will be giving Tousley and oemfordparts.com a call on Monday to see if I can purchase a 2013 OCS setup from them. Fingers crossed that it can be purchased separately and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

-Nick

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Some research on my end shows that the "Occupant Sensor" (as described on Tousley Parts) is included with the passenger side seat cushion. That is unfortunate, because the cushion (at least the Recaro one) is listed for $691. That's no bueno. You could literally buy a set of used seats for that much money.

Someone has to have one. If you needed an '11/'12 GT one, I could help you myself.

Here's a link to my build thread where I did my power/heated/leather Shelby Recaro swap. It will show you how to swap out the OCS on the passenger side.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94159&page=3

There's also an excellent writeup on SVTP by TOB in the GT500 section about doing the Recaro swap that has lots and lots of detailed pictures. It should pick up anything I've not covered.

Let me know if I can help any other way. Good luck with it man.

Paul.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Some research on my end shows that the "Occupant Sensor" (as described on Tousley Parts) is included with the passenger side seat cushion. That is unfortunate, because the cushion (at least the Recaro one) is listed for $691. That's no bueno. You could literally buy a set of used seats for that much money.

Someone has to have one. If you needed an '11/'12 GT one, I could help you myself.

Here's a link to my build thread where I did my power/heated/leather Shelby Recaro swap. It will show you how to swap out the OCS on the passenger side.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94159&page=3

There's also an excellent writeup on SVTP by TOB in the GT500 section about doing the Recaro swap that has lots and lots of detailed pictures. It should pick up anything I've not covered.

Let me know if I can help any other way. Good luck with it man.

Paul.

Thanks for all the info Paul!!

I actually found a used 13 passenger seat on Ebay today. Contacted the seller and it will be on it's way to Hawaii tomorrow.

-Nick

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome. Glad to hear it man. You'll get it all worked out.

Are you going to swap out the cloth for leather while you're at it? It's really not too bad to do, and it will spruce up the interior a bit. (although getting rid of the Recaros is crazy!!)

Paul.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome. Glad to hear it man. You'll get it all worked out.

Are you going to swap out the cloth for leather while you're at it? It's really not too bad to do, and it will spruce up the interior a bit. (although getting rid of the Recaros is crazy!!)

Paul.

Already installed a set of leather covers on them. I traded the Recaros for certain reasons that I won't get in to because it's WAY too long of a story, lol.

My GT500 has Recaros that I added heaters to and love them to death and wouldn't trade them for anything!!!

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet. Well let us know when you get it all figured out.

Oh, and post pics!

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
*AIRBAG LIGHT IS OFFICALLY REMOVED*

Turned out to be the OCS system in the passenger seat from the 2012 seat did not like the 2013 car.

So. For anyone who swaps seats. You MUST swap the OCS system AND the airbags or you will have issue if you are swapping seats between 11-12 and 13-14 models. It's not just the airbags that are different between model years, it's the OCS sensor modules as well.

What a NIGHTMARE!!

-Nick

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Great job Nick. I'm glad you got it all figured out. Remember the days when all you had to do to swap seats was undo four bolts? :)

Paul.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok, bringing this thread back. I just got recaros from a 2014 and put them in my 2011. The air bags MUST be replaced? Are you certain of this? Also do you have the airbags and ocs sensor still from your 2012 seats? If so I'd probably take them off your hands

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back