Aircraft Picture Thread

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's funny how information gets around. When I was in school at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach it was 1968 and there was an instructor in the jet propulsion lab named Bolton. To my knowledge he had the only operating Jumo jet engine left in the world. I doubt they are still there but it was cool to see them. He bought 3 of them as surplus from somewhere and burnt the first one up trying to get it started. The Fuel control was backwards, it was spring loaded full open instead of full closed like American and British stuff. I guess so that if there was a problem and the throttle cables were shot away, the pilot would have power. When he tried to start it, it just melted from the rear forward, due to the excess fuel. The second one was running in the the test cell when a carpenter got too close to the intake, it sucked his nail apron off his body and into the engine. Bolton made a cutaway from that one and it was really neat to see the clearances and metallurgy they were able to achieve under wartime conditions. The third one was still running and he would occasionally start it up in the cell. It had a very unique sound to it and I feel privileged to have been able to witness it running.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's funny how information gets around. When I was in school at Embry-Riddle in Daytona Beach it was 1968 and there was an instructor in the jet propulsion lab named Bolton. To my knowledge he had the only operating Jumo jet engine left in the world. I doubt they are still there but it was cool to see them. He bought 3 of them as surplus from somewhere and burnt the first one up trying to get it started. The Fuel control was backwards, it was spring loaded full open instead of full closed like American and British stuff. I guess so that if there was a problem and the throttle cables were shot away, the pilot would have power. When he tried to start it, it just melted from the rear forward, due to the excess fuel. The second one was running in the the test cell when a carpenter got too close to the intake, it sucked his nail apron off his body and into the engine. Bolton made a cutaway from that one and it was really neat to see the clearances and metallurgy they were able to achieve under wartime conditions. The third one was still running and he would occasionally start it up in the cell. It had a very unique sound to it and I feel privileged to have been able to witness it running.

That would have been exceptionally cool, the reproduction planes look exactly right but the simple fact that they have the wrong engines means we'll never get the experience of seeing the real thing in motion ever again.

-Steve

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
tumblr_n3bhkiZFZm1qikcuzo3_400.gif

tumblr_n3bhkiZFZm1qikcuzo2_400.gif

tumblr_n3bhkiZFZm1qikcuzo1_400.gif

tumblr_n3bhkiZFZm1qikcuzo5_400.gif

tumblr_n3bhkiZFZm1qikcuzo4_400.gif

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Here's an F-86 I found at the Abilene FBO a few weeks ago. He was passing through with another one enroute to an airshow in WA.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back