Alternator issue.

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long Time no talk.
So I replaced my alternator a couple days ago. While taking the old one off I was a dummy and touched power connector on alternator to ground and there was a short zap. I then disconnected the battery. So then I put the new alternator in and started the car up. It ran for about 20 seconds like poop and stalled. The car now won't start. I she led the 10amp alternator fuse it's good.

What fuse did I blow or what did I fuck up?

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no doubt. Won't be able to work on the car for a few days it's in my shop, working elsewhere. Thought I'd ask if someone had experience with the issue.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Always disconnect the battery before working on the alternator/generator, starter or radio. These cars start acting really weird after alternator issues. I would not be surprised if you killed the alternator or something in the fusebox.

joeyalex

Reaction score
There's a fusible link in the harness from the battery to the alternator. Could have popped that. Either check that wire for continuity or check for battery voltage at the alternator end of it.

You can get the whole wire from the dealer, it's just south of $100. It includes the power wire and the smaller regulator harness.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
usually that just pops a fuse - i doubt you fried a fusible link with a quick touch

joeyalex

Reaction score
Can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key to start? Almost sounds like maybe that isn't working, would explain the 20 seconds of crappy running then a stall and no start...

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The fuel pressure reads 38. And when we pulled a spark plug it's super saturated with fuel.

Okay so we did some digging. There is spark. But we pulled the coil and tested spark plugs and there is very very little spark. We cleaned the spark plug a bit and it had a tiny bit more spark. So somehow the spark plugs are done. I tested With a spare coil and it produced the same tiny spark.
I'm going to get new plugs today or test a regular cheap plug and see if it's a normal spark. as much as I hope it's the spark plugs how could that happen.

Could a car run so rich the spark plugs won't light?
Could a new alternator cause your engine to run pig rich like that?

explict

Heavy Metal
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I changed the spark plugs and the car started fine. However it threw a code after a short drive for O2 sensor heater malfunction. I pulled two sensors and the wideband and they are pretty fouled. So I ordered two new O2 sensors and a new wideband. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the car in terms of the alternator, but there was a very rich condition for some reason that cause everything to foul.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back