alum or steel flywheel?

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Thanks Marc for the info and the welcome, glad to find a place to get all the great info that I am getting here. Just been readin all the posts for days taking it all in.

Bulldog1964

Bobby
Reaction score
Ive just been reading posts, and everybody is saying to not get an aluminum flywheel. The inertia and momentum is greater with the billet steel and what everyone prefers. I would love to get the Mcleod, but don't want to get it just because its cheaper. I want the flywheel thats going to put more power to the ground and not loose any power (low, mid, or top). Ive been reading some aluminum flywheels loose bottom end
Steel !!!!

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
Thanks Marc, So you recommend reinstalling the stock clutch & PP? What is the problem with the centerforce?

The pressure plate is to stiff for the S197 hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. In a nut shell, the clutch won't release all of the way and will make it difficult to shift and put into gear.

If you use the search function, there are a bunch of threads about it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just bought a Fidanza aluminum & centerforce clutch. Haven't installed yet and this is the first aluminum flywheel that I have owned. How much will it help on a pretty stock engine? Do any of you have any experience knowledge about the Fidanza products?

That's the same setup I used with my first aftermarket clutch. The flywheel is a good one. The clutch worked fine for 1600 miles, then the slave cylinder went out. I think it was due to the centerforce pressure plate.

Needless to say a little over a month after putting in the cf I was pulling the tranny and trying a shim behind the slave. Didn't work. Ended up with a McLeod RST. Great clutch. I liked it so much that when I went with a TR-6060 transmission I put another RST in.

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
.... man i put in a aluminum crank shaft in my car and it flew!!! right up to 88 mph and then i has back to the future lol... sorry its late im tired lol

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Aluminum crankshaft. LoL

As for the centerforce, first I ever heard about that. How's the Spec Stage 2+? I went with that and the fidanza. No problems so far with 3000 miles on it but it'll be good to know just in case something does happen

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the info!! Anybody want to buy a centerforce? lol. Marc I appreciate it. I will go back and check out some of those theads as well. I just assumed that the centerforce (household name) was tried and true as they always have been. Since the hyd. slave is something I have never messed with before I had no idea. So nobody is making a slave that can handle the extra pressure? Sounds like from all of ya'lls experiences that a new slave is a good idea anyway!!!

SRTthis

Reaction score
It was always the rule that heavy drag/street cars should have a steel flywheel and road race cars should have an aluminum flywheel. The thinking has changed in the last few years. Every record holding stock eliminator car that I have been around lately now use aluminum flywheels.

I put an aluminum flywheel in my car when the new engine went in it. I couldn't be happier with it. It revs much quicker and due to its lighter weight, I find it easier to recover from tire spin. In traffic, it's no better or worse than the steel flywheel. As far as 60' times go, I had a 1.44 60' a few weeks ago. I will never go back to a steel flywheel.
a lot has to do with the power the car makes. if its a lower powered car a steel will help the car leave harder since it will carry the momentum when the clutch hits. but a higher power car doesnt need the help.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
I can say the Aluminum flywheel will help you in higher RPM's, and still help better than a stock flywheel at lower RPM's. Less weight is a nice benefit. The car will feel lighter and feel like you added extra gearing, lol.

I wish I had an Aluminum flywheel in my car.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
a lot has to do with the power the car makes. if its a lower powered car a steel will help the car leave harder since it will carry the momentum when the clutch hits. but a higher power car doesnt need the help.

I know.

Dr Wu

Faraway
Reaction score

This one^...and in a lower powered car the heavier steel flywheel will STORE the power better if you do not power-shift. The aluminum one will need to be power-shifted to keep the power ON. Aluminum flywheels accelerate quicker but also decelerate quicker, that's why they are the road racers choice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back