Andriod/tablet gurus inside

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" model. It was awesome until the latest Android update a couple of months ago. It's now an app-crashing (Chrome specifically) and non-video playing POS. I mean videos will play, but you can't skip around in them or it just freezes. And Chrome crashes about every other time I try to launch it...sometimes several times in a row. Is there a way to go back to the previous version of Android, or skip ahead? I'm pretty sure it's not the latest version of Android that it's running, but I'd be happy with the previous version. I have no idea what it is, 4.x.x something. I'll have to check when I get home.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the specific apps that are crashing? I know some devices that upgraded from Jellybean to KitKat had issues with some apps not handling the transition well. If it is 4.4, it should not have issues with those apps. I just installed 5.0 (Lollipop) on my 5S, and I am loving it so far. Much faster, even when taking HDR pics.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly I haven't tried anything at all. I'll give that a whirl tonight. I'm pretty sure it is kitkat 4.4.2 (from jellybean that it shipped with) after some googling around.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
look into a factory reset or wipe as well, that often helps when experiencing issues where something has become corrupt

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Rooting itself "unlocks" the phone/tablet giving you as much access as you would for an OS such as Windows XP/Vista/7 Pro or higher (essentially grants SuperAdmin access in Linux/Unix/Android terms). It also allows you to install custom ROMs aside from the original OS (when you use a "Safe Loader").

Custom ROMs, such as CyanogenMod, are stock Android OSs (similar to the Nexus) where you don't have to deal with the bloatware installed by Samsung, LG, Motorola, Verizon, AT&T, etc. You can also install various mod packages to further customize the user experience. Each device behaves differently with each of the custom ROMs, so it is advised to read up on it as much as possible. For Example, when I rooted my Razr with CM Mod, a common issue was the stock Google Camera app would crash under CM mod, however, installing a different camera app worked fine (most users didn't realize this). They eventually fixed it in a recent CM update where you don't need to install a 3rd part camera app.

Last edited:

mustang02

forum member
Reaction score
Not all devices can be rooted though. Locked bootloaders suck!

Check out XDA developers for your specific device. Lots of info to be had.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back