Another P0622 Code thread

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I searched on this and couldn't find anything that really matched my situation. There are two suspects - the battery and the alternator. Here goes...

What happened:
Yesterday I installed a set of Steeda underdrive pulleys on my car. I had the radio on for about an hour and then it just shut off -- battery was definitely dead. After I put the car back together, I jump started the car and checked the voltage - 14.0V. I'd heard that since UDPs don't drive the accessories as fast, voltage at idle could be an issue. I let it idle for about 10 min while I put the tools away.

So I took it out for a test drive and at two different points, the battery light briefly came on and the message center said "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM", then after a second, it went back to normal. Car didn't experience any symptoms. This was at night and the lights didn't dim at all. I figured it must've been the battery being so dead or something. Both cases happened as engine RPM were dropping from about 2500 RPM -- the first one coasting to a stop sign, and the second going from a 4th to 5th shift.

This morning I decided I should scan for DTCs just to be sure, and I saw P0622 Generator Field "F" Terminal Control Circuit (from Torque App). I cleared the codes and decided to datalog on my way into work this morning, and everything was fine -- until I was backing into the space, again as RPMs dropped from me working the gas/clutch. Scanned it again -- yep. P0622.

My primary suspect's the alternator right now. The weird thing is it was 100% OK until I swapped out the pulleys yesterday. But I didn't do anything to the alternator other than change the lower-driver's side mounting bolt to the one that came w/ the Steeda kit. Just as you'd expect w/ a UDP install, I didn't disconnect or disturb any charging system related wires.

Here's the main reason I suspect the alternator (this morning's datalog):

Red is voltage at the PCM (left scale), blue is engine RPM (right scale)

Morning%252520Drive%25252016Nov15.png

That 15.43V spike was right around the time I was parking (when the battery light and "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" popped up again). I didn't take note of the exact time, so i'm only 90% sure.

Zoomed in:

Morning%252520Drive%25252016Nov15%252520-%252520Zoomed.png

I datalogged on the way home too, and didn't have any problems (of course). voltage dipped a couple times (that last big dip was when I turned on my headlights and the HIDs were warming up), but there were no spikes.

Drive%252520Home%25252016Nov15.png

On the battery side of things, I know the battery's been on its way out for a while -- ever since last winter when it got pretty cold -- if I didn't drive the car for about a week, it'd be flat. Leave my cell charger plugged in for 3 days and it'd be a little slow to turn over. After the test drive and everything, I checked the battery and it was ~11.9V I left it on a battery tender overnight and this morning it was ... ~11.9V. I drove it into work and when I shut the car off -- again about 11.8 - 12.0V. It's a 4 year old Optima Red top.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
For any lurkers,

I picked up a new Optima. MAN--I could not believe how much faster it turned over! I datalogged it on the way in and the way home from work today, the voltage is much more stable (still no spikes since yesterday morning). The thing is...seems like the voltage is trending down over the 40 min trip home. Maybe its a temperature thing -- as the engine warms up.

80-drive_252520home_25252017nov15_b4f94a65ed570c20a77b53aac016c1f275feabcd.png

This was the drive in on the fresh battery, BTW:

80-morning_252520drive_25252017nov15_0dd95fcaa757d2d9037ef4689ca65aaa9ebe34af.png

Maybe I'm reading too much into the graphs, but its possible the alternator really is crapping out.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Good talk going on in here.

So on a different forum, someone suggested replacing it w/ a 2010 alternator since they're 3-phase. Kind of makes you wonder if Ford knew there was a major problem w/ the single phase one they put on the 2005-08 ones. I started searching for a little more info on the boards here, and ran across this little tidbit:

Voltage is also controlled by the PCM and is lowered to 13.5V when IATs are high. It does this to protect the battery since it thinks high IATs mean high engine bay temps.

Here's the thread, btw:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124307&highlight=phase+alternator

That could explain the dropping voltage, but w/ the "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" warnings, it's still a strong possibility that my alternator is still going. I wonder if the (maybe) failing alternator is going to shorten the life of the battery.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back