Any good HVAC gurus here?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
My Utica boiler is throwing a code 58, A/C line frequency error code. Unit is about 4 years old and has been fine since the install. It throws this code when it fires the igniter. (Electric spark ignition) Tech support wont help as Im just a home owner. But they did tell me the control module is sensitive to ground issues. Been through the entire circuit from panel to power hookup on the unit. Retightened any wire nuts.
No change.

MrBhp

Reaction score
I know a guy. I'll get back with you shortly.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Gotta look at the Utica manual for alarm codes. Poor gounding is a frequent cause of these errors. Also low voltage. They make these controls so smart that they detect errors under normal conditions. Need to know what the controls measure to throw this error and then take it from there.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
My dvom does.not have a frequency setting. I really dont think it is the issue.
Line is 120.5 v ac measured.
I have tested grounding to the best of my knowledge and it is all good. I retightened all connections.
It throws this code right when the igniter sparks, and it does throw a nice arc for a split second. Then the led display flickers, there is a momentary clicking/relay activity. Than 58.

It makes no sense. The display flicker looks like a dc voltage drop to me, and freaks out the controller. The 24v ac is good, maintains 26 v ac at the input to the board.

All newer home appliances are total shit anymore. Do we really need a fucking computer board on a furnace? If this was the middle of winter, I would have ripped this thing out and repalced it by now. With anothoer computerized POS.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Issue resolved Not 100% sure why swapping the 2 wires that trigger the power vent fixed it, but it did. Or why it has worked for four seasons. Maybe my power vent is starting to take a shit.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What does AC line freq have to do with anything ? It will be 60.0 hz anywhere in NA...and 50 hz for the rest of the planet. And if it uses a switching type supply, they will work just fine from 40-70 hz.

You are correct about new home appliances, they are all pos, doesn't matter how much $$ you spend on em..... just make sure to get the extended warranty, cuz ur gonna need it.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
58 Igniter flame rod shorted to burner ground. Repair or replace igniter.
No. On the controller cover, code 58 is line voltage frequency issue. But it is clearly wrong.
I need to install an isolation transformer for the power vent signal. Some type of backfeed is causing controller confusion. Why it worked fine for 4 seasons, I have no idea.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No. On the controller cover, code 58 is line voltage frequency issue. But it is clearly wrong.
I need to install an isolation transformer for the power vent signal. Some type of backfeed is causing controller confusion. Why it worked fine for 4 seasons, I have no idea.
In the Utica boiler manual that my dad has shows the code 58 as typed. You would think the codes would cover all of their boilers.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
In the Utica boiler manual that my dad has shows the code 58 as typed. You would think the codes would cover all of their boilers.
No idea. I was actually on the phone with their contractor tech support. He confirmed the code on the cover of the controller. AC frequency issue, and said check grounds like MrBhp stated.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back