Are Steeda Sports the right spring for me?

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I'm a fool and want to go STU next year. Our club is very small, most events don't have more than 60 entrants, so I do have the luxury of doing fine in that class even with mild prep.

I ran this year with Koni Sports, an alignment and my stock track-pack wheels/tires. My next phase in setup is going to be the $150 per wheel 18x10 SVE Drift, which represent a pretty awesome value IMO at 24lbs, with 285/35 RS3s as well as some springs yet to be decided. Whiteline sway bars may come half way through the season.

I'm well aware that I would be better served in ST (and on the street from what I've read) with a more proper coilover setup as well as getting the CC plates and sways right away. But frankly, I am just not that financially committed to the hobby. My goal is to have plenty of fun with my small club, be less frustrated with the body motions and grip level of my car, and still stay within class rules if I feel like making the 4hr trek down to Mass to go play with the Ayer/SCCA folks. I know that my most budget friendly choice is to stay with FStreet, but I don't want to do that.

Obviously, I don't want to slam the car with an OEM style strut, not to mention all the other problems I'd encounter being that low. I do not want to ruin the car. What I want to know is if the Sport spring is the best option for someone like myself that autocrosses, but is not yet stepping up to the coilovers. I'd like to hear about specific spring rates if anybody knows them.

Thanks guys!

(The other reason I'm asking is because steeda sports are on Black Friday sale at American Muscle at the moment)

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
My experience with Steeda Sports springs was:

They are as good a compromise street/autocross spring as you are likely to find in the market.

The increased "harshness" may not be objectionable with decent shocks/struts.

The moderate drop is only a problem if you forget it has occurred.

They come into their own when combined with a good wheel/tire set.

Did not require an adjustable Panhard bar.

Next time around I used FRPP "P" springs with just about the same results and a half-inch less drop.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
If you run a CC plate with an "articulating" seat they are good springs for what you want to do. If you don't have an articulating seat the bind and ride like crap.

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
If you run a CC plate with an "articulating" seat they are good springs for what you want to do. If you don't have an articulating seat the bind and ride like crap.

Can you expound on this "articulating seat"? I haven't heard of it.

...I suppose I could google it. Off I go.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I run the maximum motors sports with my steed a springs in front but run bmr springs in back

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Steeda Sport springs are great for the street, but I'd think the Steeda Comp springs would be a better setup for AutoX with your Konis. Much less movement in the suspension. I'm running UPR/Eibach springs on my Koni Sports, which are much stiffer than the Steeda Sports I used to run, and I would still like to go stiffer. What do you guys think?

Memphis

I Aim to Misbehave
Reaction score
2nd the Steeda Comp. Tried Eibachs lineup, then steeda sport, then the steeda comp. Huge improvement, much stiffer but not uncomfortably so

TheViking

Reaction score
My experience with Steeda Sports springs was:

Did not require an adjustable Panhard bar.

In my experience with these springs, at least when using the SVTPP wheels/tires, the axle was off and did require an adjustable PB to correct.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Time to chime in...

Steeda Sport and Steeda Comps, not all that different.... In fact Steeda comps are not that stiff, softer in fact than many other "street" springs. I use them quite a bit, mostly on cars that had blowers added to counter the extra weight but still give a "sport" type height and ride quality. They do ride great for springs with such a name. :)

FWIW, I sell a lot of Steeda springs. But I also carry Eibach, and H&R, I'm a MM dealer so I can do those "new" springs if you like. But we should talk about those before we did that. Because of some of the vendors I deal with I can even get you springs that I would never use or recommend, but I have access to them. :)

Basically, what springs I'd recommend depends greatly on what your goals are for the car and from the parts.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have not had a pair of Steeda Sport springs to rate, but the Steeda Comp springs are about 230f/190r lbs/in at ride height. They are slightly progressive up front, and fairly linear in the rear. That rear rate is way too high to work with the front rate.

I much prefer the Ford "P" springs that are about 204f/130r and are more progressive at both ends. I've measured some early rear "P" springs that rated 165 at ride height, but the current springs have a different soft zone in the spring.

FullAhead

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks again for your input Sam and Jason, as well as everyone else of course! Honestly I had forgotten about the P springs because I haven't heard anybody mentioned them since I stopped cruising the "just for looks" forums. Not to imply that they're just for looks, because I have no idea.

TheViking

Reaction score
I went from the Steeda Sports to the P springs and was happy with the change. Only 1 event on track with each but the car appeared to plow much less with the Motorsport springs. I do not have adjustable sway bars so perhaps this could have been tuned out with a better setup.

The car sits slightly higher with the P springs and definitely rides a little better.

Last edited:

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Springs are only part if the equation. I run the steeda sports for auto xing, street and occasional track days. Up until recently I was still running stock sway bars and I was beginning to wonder if I didn't need a stiffer spring combo. With the adj. sway bars I am much more satisfied. Now, as I get more used to the setup and get more and more aggressive I may yet need a stiffer spring.

I saw a post above that stated that you wouldn't need an adj. PB if running the Steeda Sport springs. I sure did. Mine was way out of alignment with the stock PB once the springs were installed.

Sent from iPhone

rebus

"seeker"
Reaction score
My 06 was off a 1/4" to the drivers side with Sam's Steeda Sports. I don't really think it matters all that much for a street car as it's going to change all through the travel anyway. I installed an adjustable PHB more for looks and OCD than anything else, since I don't track my car. (who's really going to notice a tire sticking out a 1/4" more than the other?) Personally I wouldn't want anything stiffer than my Steeda Sport springs for a daily driver. As it is now, the car handles great with Koni STR.T's other than some throttle induced over-steer due to a twin screw.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back