Attaching Fans to Heat Exchanger

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm debating putting on the Afco Dual Pass HE for my whipple'd car.

It is this one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/afco-heatxchanger-0712gt500.html

(If this one won't fit, someone please tell me before I buy!)

My question now is, what is the best way to attach two fans to it? I'm going to toss on two 10" fans. In the past, I have just used zip ties or one of those cooling fan install kits (which are basically zipties).

Any better suggestions?

Thanks!

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
That's what I have on mine with fans, I got it from Jim(crownaviation) he just used the fan kits that go through the fins and they have held up for me and him.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Afco sells a heat exchanger with two fans already attached, designed to fit the S197.

Yeah but compared to the one without the fans, it's a total rip off. You end up paying $200+ for two $50 fans and a metal bracket with some screws :wtf1:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I ran the unit in that link on my '05 with the Rotrex. It's a smaller unit than the one that comes with the fans. I think 10" fans would be too big. Core size is only about 8". I'm currently running the larger unit with fans and it's considerably taller.

Regardless of that, I think you're on the right track with fan attachment.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Is the one with fans already on it worth it for the extra size in your opinion?

Sent from my microwave

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
From what I understand from doing all the research on the DOB kit, the bigger the better that was the general idea I found it. However I landed a good deal on the dual pass that I didn't want to pass up. However if wasn't for that deal I would of spent the extra money.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I think it's worth the extra money for sure. The harness for the fans that comes with the kit is great all by itself. It's a simple install, and just a great overall fit. They generally pop up on SVTP for around $500 for a 'like new' used one.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Ah okay. I'll keep an eye out. Are there actually any gains to be had without getting more aggressive with the timing? My block has no knock sensors so the only time it'll pull timing is high iat. Does having a bigger HE make a noticeable difference or is it more of a capacity thing.

In other words, does it merely delay heat soak? I can't imagine it makes a power difference on hail mary dyno pulls.

Sent from my microwave

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The bigger it is, the more heat it's able to remove from the system. A cooler system = more hp. Especially if it can keep enough heat out to not pull timing. I wish mine were bigger. I'm spinning my whipple pretty damn hard, so I'm fighting some high IAT's when at the drags. Once into 4th gear it starts pulling timing and kills my MPH. My next step is a bigger pump, and more capacity. And then a blower upgrade to hopefully spin it slower.

Last edited:

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
I think it's worth the extra money for sure. The harness for the fans that comes with the kit is great all by itself. It's a simple install, and just a great overall fit. They generally pop up on SVTP for around $500 for a 'like new' used one.

This. The harness and relays are a breeze to install.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm debating putting on the Afco Dual Pass HE for my whipple'd car.

It is this one: http://www.americanmuscle.com/afco-heatxchanger-0712gt500.html

(If this one won't fit, someone please tell me before I buy!)

My question now is, what is the best way to attach two fans to it? I'm going to toss on two 10" fans. In the past, I have just used zip ties or one of those cooling fan install kits (which are basically zipties).

Any better suggestions?

Thanks!

I have that HE and installed a single SPAL 7.5" fan using the plastic zip tie that you stick thru the fins. Been that way for 18 months and I've had no problems with it. You'll need 7.5" fans since the HE is less than 9" tall, The AFCO dual fan HE is taller and narrower and $$

You wont be be able to install 2 fans on that particular HE unless you cut the pump mount bracket off either

I run the fan off a dual relay setup, one relay for the fan, the other for the pump and a toggle switch.

The single fan does a pretty good job of pulling heat out of the intercooler when sitting. I can cool my car down in 30 minutes using a couple box fans and the fan on the HE.

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Yes likely need the 7.5 spal fans. You can mount two just make sure they pull air and go in the inside towards the radiator. You can accidentally wire them backwards so do pay attention. Plus you will need to use a relay as they will have a high drawl

As mentioned the pro series (with fans) is taller and narrow compared to the other. I couldn't see an appreciable gain using the pro series vs the regular dual pass and dual 7.5 spal fan kit. The pro series is just plug and play imo. To do it again I would have stuck with the disk pass and the fan kit. Then would have almost enough to buy a mezerie 20gpm pump. Now you have a real nice system

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I've read some pretty disappointing data on the upgraded pump so I will probably stick with the Bosch pump to keep it simple. Either way, we will see. I might just wait for 19COBRA to upgrade and buy his used :crazy:

I'll do some IAT data logging tomorrow and see where I'm at.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I haven't had the time to install it yet but there is a reasonably priced pump that should be a very good upgrade compared to the bosch pump...it is the Jabsco 50840-0012 pump. I got mine from ebay for $200.82 shipped and it looks to be a very nice unit. Stainless internals and has a mounting plate already on it similar to some of the meth injection pumps.

As for fan mounting on an afco heat exchanger...what I ended up doing was making a shroud and used 2 6" fans. I have since upgraded to a heat exchanger that Edelbrock sells but it takes some work to make it fit and the barbed fitting for the upper hose sits right where the fogs on our cars are so I had to remove mine. Here is a picture of the afco and then the edelbrock one next to it.

IMAG0846_zps0822e1e3.jpg

Here is the heat exchanger mounted in front of my radiator...

IMAG0853_zps02c323f1.jpg

And here are side by side pics of the jabsco pump next to the bosch pump.

IMAG0851_zps57c56793.jpg

IMAG0850_zps6efd90e3.jpg

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
That pump looks neat. Where are you gonna mount it? I'd love to find a pump that will fit the whipple bracket thing. Will probably go with Afco when I find a deal! Just can't swing $600 when the stock one does the job.

What are your thoughts on the filling the intercooler from the bottom? All the instructions have you do it from the top. I just can't see the point of reversing it. All the bubbles should escape if you let it bleed out at the reservoir no?

Sent from my microwave

obxdude018

forum member
Reaction score
I have mine filling from the bottom, the Meziere on mine is almost a few inches from being the lowest point in the whole system too. When I installed the only good place for it seemed to be right behind the driver side bumper.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
That pump looks neat. Where are you gonna mount it? I'd love to find a pump that will fit the whipple bracket thing. Will probably go with Afco when I find a deal! Just can't swing $600 when the stock one does the job.

What are your thoughts on the filling the intercooler from the bottom? All the instructions have you do it from the top. I just can't see the point of reversing it. All the bubbles should escape if you let it bleed out at the reservoir no?

Sent from my microwave

I have always had mine fill from the bottom...that is how it was even with the stock Edelbrock heat exchanger. As far as mounting that is what is holding me up right now...I haven't had any time to get the car up and figure out where I want to mount it. I also want to try going back to the small reservoir that my blower came with so I can get a good 70lbs out of the car by removing the big 6gallon water tank in the trunk and all the damn hose I have running under the car.

As for bubbles, you need to realize that depending on how much boost you make you can actually have bubbles & steam created as the fluid goes through the intercooler. This is one of the reasons you want a good high flowing pump so the water moves quick enough not to turn into steam in the intercooler.

rayS197

Reaction score
Would it be better to add fans to the HE or just add an icebox with the larger pump? I know dads and chiseled make some custom resovoirs. Im looking at the nice custom one from dads that goes in the spare tire location.

Back