Avg. Cost for a detailer to apply opti-coat?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Take a picture of your paint with direct sunlight on it, guarantee your paint isnt as nice as you think. Do you use a two bucket method with grit guards for washing? Do you use a different wash mit for the lower portion of your car? You wouldnt happen to use the same wash mit for your wheels as you do your paint do you? How do you dry the car?
Guarantee every time you wash your car you introduce new defects into the paint. I dont care how new the car is. BRAND NEW cars even untouched from the dealer will have tons of paint defects.
$400 for even a two stage correction to get out 90% of the defects plus adding opti-coat is still on the low end for someone who will do it PROPERLY.

shad2009

forum member
Reaction score
There is no reason it shouldn't be long lasting if the Opti-Coat is applied properly to a clean surface. That's the whole point of Opti-Coat. Maybe it won't be as perfect under a microscope as you or seer would like. But what I see when they are done should last years, again, assuming they applied it to a perfectly clean surface.

You only see black or white, man, no sense trying to reason with you. The surface can be can still be well prepped for the Opti-Clear to adhere properly without every minute cosmetic blemish perfectly polished out.

i'm the one with the reading problems???...you have no clue about what real detailing is and obvious can't type "without every minute cosmetic blemish"...even though i know what you mean, before you challenge my reading abilities, make sure your english is correct:thumb:

perfectly clean and not having every blemish polished out are two different things buddy...the product won't bond if the prep isn't done right

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
btw, as of right now opti-coat/guard is the only coating that has been proven to last past 2 years.

Now the next generation of coatings like 22ple, Permanon Platinum, and System X 119 are still out with the jury. Although with shops like Esoteric pushing 22ple I think that will be a quality product for this new generation. From what I hear Opti-Coat 3.0 is in the works.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
i'm the one with the reading problems???...you have no clue about what real detailing is and obvious can't type "without every minute cosmetic blemish"...even though i know what you mean, before you challenge my reading abilities, make sure your english is correct:thumb:

perfectly clean and not having every blemish polished out are two different things buddy...the product won't bond if the prep isn't done right

Wow you are really clueless aren't you. Maybe Google the definition of minute and see the second meaning. Even more amusing is you challenge my English in a post filled with poor grammar. My grasp of the English language, grammar, writing abilities and reading comprehension is far superior to yours...which isn't saying much to be honest. In response to your last paragraph, no shit Sherlock.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

btw, as of right now opti-coat/guard is the only coating that has been proven to last past 2 years.

Now the next generation of coatings like 22ple, Permanon Platinum, and System X 119 are still out with the jury. Although with shops like Esoteric pushing 22ple I think that will be a quality product for this new generation. From what I hear Opti-Coat 3.0 is in the works.

Interesting. Maybe I should look into / wait for those...

Last edited by a moderator:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. Maybe I should look into / wait for those...

Then you're going to be waiting a few years for their long term results. Opti-coat 2.0 is more than enough.

shad2009

forum member
Reaction score
Wow you are really clueless aren't you. Maybe Google the definition of minute and see the second meaning. Even more amusing is you challenge my English in a post filled with poor grammar. My grasp of the English language, grammar, writing abilities and reading comprehension is far superior to yours...which isn't saying much to be honest. In response to your last paragraph, no shit Sherlock.

excuse me for not knowing the second definition of the word minute...allow me to apologize....good luck:beer:

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Im ditching the $400 place . Found a guy named Bryan owner of Mr. Sparkle detailing in West Babylon about 20 mins from me who quoted me $700. He is @autogeek online and other forums and has procedural and before and after pics in several places online. He is an authorized opti coat installer and said he uses the commercial version called opti guard. Not sure if its different or not. But I emailed him and I got a very well written and very thorough response in about 20 mins. Seems like he definately knows what he is doing and is also very friendly. Anyone on long island or nearby might want to consider him. He has a new garage in babylon that he just did an extreme makeover on. Website is mrsparkledetailing.com

gothamite302

forum member
Reaction score
Im ditching the $400 place . Found a guy named Bryan owner of Mr. Sparkle detailing in West Babylon about 20 mins from me who quoted me $700. He is @autogeek online and other forums and has procedural and before and after pics in several places online. He is an authorized opti coat installer and said he uses the commercial version called opti guard. Not sure if its different or not. But I emailed him and I got a very well written and very thorough response in about 20 mins. Seems like he definately knows what he is doing and is also very friendly. Anyone on long island or nearby might want to consider him. He has a new garage in babylon that he just did an extreme makeover on. Website is mrsparkledetailing.com

Bryan does great work, I know him from AG and you should be very pleased with the final results!

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Seer

forum member
Reaction score

opti-guard is only sold to professionals, the coating has been proven to last the lifetime of a vehicle. Opti-coat has only been guaranteed up to 3-5 years.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
opti-guard is only sold to professionals, the coating has been proven to last the lifetime of a vehicle. Opti-coat has only been guaranteed up to 3-5 years.

Thats really good to hear! However, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but how could it have been proven to last the lifetime of a vehicle? I thought the product was only a couple years old. Simulated tests?

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Thats really good to hear! However, and I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but how could it have been proven to last the lifetime of a vehicle? I thought the product was only a couple years old. Simulated tests?

Opti-guard was under testing for YEARS before it was released. IIRC it was somewhere around 10 years of testing.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear/see the results.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to hear/see the results.

Will definitely report back when it's done. In the meantime you can google "bryan Mr. Sparkle" and it will bring up several postings of cars he has done. Here is a Boss 302 he did an Opti-Guard on:

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums...ar-prep-mr-sparkle-detailing-long-island.html

The $700 includes is 2-stage correction and he is doing the wheels too (Surface, not barrels) Here is my correspondence with him with the full details:(Start from the bottom)

[FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot] Bryan Burgess [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:58 PM
To: Kevin Breese
Subject: Re: Opti-Coat quote[/FONT]

Cool. The coating should bond well to the wheels since they're so new.

I'd leave the glass alone. take a good look at it next few days. If you think its good enough to get a coating on there we'll go with it. Although if you have ZAIO applying that on the glass from time to time should do you pretty well also.

Yes, explain to Samantha that your car needs Mr. Sparkle. When she is done laughing you can show her some of my work (all over the detailing forums) then email me back about the 24th. And yeah 530pm dropoff on the 23rd with evening pickup on the 24th. I'd keep you posted on when to pickup. Might need it a little later in the evening but we'll see.

Will wait to hear back.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Kevin Breese <[email protected]> wrote:
[FONT=&quot]Ok I'm glad the wheels are being opti-coated too, I just put brand new silver RTR wheels on it this past week. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As far as the glass that sounds great, although to be honest there might be water spots on the glass. I've never done anything to the glass, just got washed with regular car soap, oh once I used Zaino AIO, but that’s it. Should I do something to prep the glass first before dropping it off? I must warn you though, I don't own a polisher. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As far as confirming the appointment, I'll check with Samantha and get back to you. Just to be clear drop-off would be approx 5:30pm Tue 4/24 and pickup Wednesday 4/25 same time, approx 5:30 pm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Bryan Burgess [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:39 PM[/FONT]

Subject: Re: Opti-Coat quote

Actually - I'm testing a new glass coating. It needs to cure overnight (which I don't like) but I could do that for you included with that $700 price. Thats assuming no water spots or anything on the glass.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:37 PM, Bryan Burgess <[email protected]> wrote:
Nothing on the interior or the glass. Wheels and exterior trim gets Opti-Coat applied (wheels are not removed - I apply the coating to the wheel face not the barrels)

In my mind that is more than 1 day with the car. If you dropoff at night, I can put in a few hours, then show up early the next morning and work all day. If you dropped off in the morning, you probably couldnt pickup until the next morning. Know what I mean?

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Kevin Breese <[email protected]> wrote:
[FONT=&quot]The following evening? Just asking because you previously said it would you'd probably need more than 1 day with the car. Also, forgot to ask does this include anything additional like interior, wheels, glass, or is this strictly for the exterior paint/trim? [/FONT]

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:20 PM[/FONT]

Yep, 31 Eads St. #E in West Babylon. Thats my garage.

Evening dropoff is no problem. I work by appointment only so its not like I close the doors at 5pm.

Could do pickup the following evening after work assuming no unexpected issues.

A 3 step process sometimes is necessary, just not always with a new car. Basically its an aggressive cutting step, an intermediate step, then finishing. Its usually either severely damaged paint (requiring first a real aggressive wool pad + compound) or really soft paint. The soft paint may not finish down as glossy as you like so sometimes it requires that extra step. Obviously a 3 step process increases the price further. I usually do some test spots to figure out which combo of things will get it done in 2 steps.

Let me know if you'd definitely like to book 4/24. I'll hold off on booking that spot for now.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Kevin Breese <[email protected]> wrote:
[FONT=&quot]Sounds like you use some really good stuff (at least from what I've read). Would I be dropping the car off at the 31 Eads street address? Since I don't get out of work until 5pm I wouldn't be able to get there until around 5:30 or so on Tuesday 4/23, ( I work in Hauppauge) would that be ok? As far as pickup goes, when would I be able to do that? I'd have to also verify this with my other half and make sure she's ok with it and that it fits her schedule. Oh and one more question, I hear a lot about people using a "3-step" correction process prior to applying Opti-Coat. What is the difference?[/FONT]

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 12:37 PM[/FONT]

Ok good, glad to hear you're on board for the 2 step correction with Opti-Coat.

Prior to Opti-Coat application I do either a wipedown with diluted IPA or sometimes if I feel like I'm working with soft paint I'll use CarPro "Eraser".

By materials I'm guessing you're referring to compounds & polishes ? For the most part I'm buffing cars with stuff from either Meguiars (D300, M100, M101, M205) or Menzerna (FG400, SI1500, PF2500, SF4000). I have a rupes polisher on the way but most of the time I'm using a flex 3401, griots gg6 and the porter cable 7424 (3in pads only for the pc). The Makita 9227c is there also if needed.

I'm pretty flexible with pickup and dropoff times as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else I have scheduled. I see wednesday 4/24 is available. Could drop off evening prior if you like. Otherwise I have no weekend space until 5/4. Apologize for that but things have really picked up last week or two with the warm weather.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Kevin Breese <[email protected]> wrote:
[FONT=&quot]Hi Bryan - I realize it's a lot of work involved, plus the cost of your materials etc, so $700 sounds like a fair price to me. One other question, is do you do a final IPA wipedown before you apply the Opti-Coat? Also, is it possible to tell me what all materials you use in the process? You definitely seem like you know what you are doing, it's just for my own curiosity. As far as scheduling a time, please let me know what you have available in the coming weeks and when is typically a good time to drop off and pick up. I work 8am to 5pm weekdays and I'm available most weekends except the weekend of the 27th…[/FONT]

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2013 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: Opti-Coat quote[/FONT]

Kevin, thanks for the inquiry as well as the pat on the back. Definitely appreciate that.

Hand washing is definitely a good thing but being that its black, and not brand new, I have to anticipate a 2 step paint correction. Basically the goal is to get the paint as close to perfect as possible prior to applying the coating. Really the only times I can 'get by' on an Opti-Coat job with a 1 step is when its right from the dealer who didn't have much time with it. With a bit of age its high likelihood you need that initial cutting step to remove all the defects, then that second step to gloss it up again.

If you've seen my threads then you kinda have a handle on the process. Wash, IronX, clay bar, tape trim, paint correction / machine polishing, surface prep, Opti-Coat application. Its a big process and the Mustang has a lot of paint. I'd probably need more than 1 day with the car and the total would be $700 (includes tax in that price).

I realize that is a high price tag and I always like to provide my clients with options. The 2 step correction without Opti-Coat would be $550. A polymer sealant is used in its place (something like Blackfire Wet Diamond or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant). A 1 step paint correction would remove the lighter defects but the deeper ones would remain. It depends how picky you are. Could do the 1 step correction for $325. And not to be left out, I could do a light polishing with something like Klasse all in one to clean the paint, make it shine, but not do much for the swirls, then top it with a sealant for $225.

It all depends how much you want to put into it. That is what I often tell people when I'm asked how much for a detail.

Regarding my shop space, I have a 1000sq ft garage in West Babylon. You can check out the extreme makeover from earlier this year when I moved in. The paint correction is done under LED lighting which in my opinion can sometimes show swirls more than direct sunlight.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...garage-how-started-extreme-shop-makeover.html

Also worth mentioning I'm an authorized installer of Opti-Coat therefore using the professional version of the product (goes by "Opti-Guard" around the net). Opti-Coat "2.0" is the retail version.

Any questions feel free to ask. If you'd like to find a spot on the schedule, we can look on the calendar. May need to wait a week or two though as things have gotten very busy since the weather finally improved.

-Bryan
Mr. Sparkle Detailing inc.

www.MrSparkleDetailing.com

@mrsparkledetailing

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Kevin Breese <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Bryan,

I saw a black MB that you did online. Very nice work. Can you please give me a quote to do the same Opti-Coat on my Black 2012 Mustang GT. The car has 14k miles and has never been thru a car wash, only hand washed so the paint is in pretty good shape, but I'm sure there are light swirls etc to be seen and some of the usual surface contaminants. Not sure if it would need a 2-stage prep or not.

Also do you do this at your location in a closed garage? I'm on the Island, in Shirley to be exact, so you aren't that far away.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
And here is more info on him here: Definitely not some scrub, poser, or dealership detailer:

http://mrsparkledetailing.com/about-us

So far I can say I am really glad I found him. LI Detailing never even got back to me, nor did the $400 place which was suppose to call to confirm the appt (Which I will cancel). Time will tell with the final results but Everything about "Mr. Sparkle" seems fantastic so far.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup, found his site earlier and checked it out. Will read the correspondence in a bit.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Mr sparkle sounds like a.good.place. definitely good value

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Opti-coat looks good. I may try some one one of my cars in the future.

Also, the prices that people here are quoting and mentioning they detail for is crazy. I think I should move my price from $300-$400 closer to $1,000. I guess having a degree means you can make more money detailing :poke:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back