Bad Sellers

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bad Experience with LBSRACING

I want to first start by of saying that I will take responsibility for not doing what a buyer should do & that LBSRacing (Burt) to the best of my knowledge, legally owes me nothing- I'm just not happy with the outcome.

I purchased a McLeod RXT Twin Disc w/ flywheel (which goes for almost $1,400 new) from Burt almost a year ago with the intent on using when I finally build my motor. I never got around to building the motor & a few weeks ago I blew up my clutch at the track. Although that was upsetting, I wasn't sweating it because I knew I had the RXT back at the house. Prepping to install the RXT, a friend & I noticed that the clutch was all burnt up! I was told by the installer that in no good faith would he install a clutch in this condition!

Where I get really upset is when I asked the seller the condition of the clutch/flywheel before I purchased it, he confirmed that everything was in working order with ONLY 100 MILES ON THE CLUTCH! Attached you will see a screenshot for reference. How can a clutch in that CONDITION only have 100 miles!?

This is where I need to take some responsibility has a buyer, because when the clutch came in almost a year ago, all I did was open the box to glance at it to make sure everything was there and intact. I never actually thoroughly looked over the physical clutch. Being that it was a twin disk, I should have taken it apart to check it out. It was a very expensive lesson for me, however, I just want to make other forum members aware in the event they decide to purchase or consider purchasing anything from LBSRACING/Burt.
:Rant:

Picture%207_zpsanlsvcay.png

e14e8a27-7658-494f-a86c-f41e570d6250_zpsgvj0msdo.jpg

IMAG2143_zps2c4f98cb.jpg

Last edited:

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
I want to first start by of saying that I will take reasonability for not doing what a buyer should do & that LBSRacing (Burt) to the best of my knowledge, legally owes me nothing- I'm just not happy with the outcome.

I purchased a McLeod RXT Twin Disc w/ flywheel (which goes for almost $1,400 new) from Burt almost a year ago with the intent on using when I finally build my motor. I never got around to building the motor & a few weeks ago I blew up my clutch at the track. Although that was upsetting, I wasn't sweating it because I knew I had the RXT back at the house. Prepping to install the RXT, a friend & I noticed that the clutch was all burnt up! I was told by the installer that in no good faith would he install a clutch in this condition!

Where I get really upset is when I asked the seller the condition of the clutch/flywheel before I purchased it, he confirmed that everything was in working order with ONLY 100 MILES ON THE CLUTCH! Attached you will see a screenshot for reference. How can a clutch in that CONDITION only have 100 miles!?

This is where I need to take some reasonability has a buyer, because when the clutch came in almost a year ago, all I did was open the box to glance at it to make sure everything was there and intact. I never actually thoroughly looked over the physical clutch. Being that it was a twin disk, I should have taken it apart to check it out. It was a very expensive lesson for me, however, I just want to make other forum members aware in the event they decide to purchase or consider purchasing anything from LBSRACING/Burt.

A couple years ago, I bought a built longblock from this guy. He claimed it was a low mileage motor, stock compression, built motor.

The motor came in and we found a wood screw wedged into the valves, which we are lucky my shop attempted to turn over the motor by hand before trying to crank it, the motor was much lower compression, and the motor was generally in below average condition. We ended up having to tear it down and rebuild it. To be fair, he did give me a partial refund, but it was not really worth the hassle. I am still using the rebuilt motor today, but its still a sore note that the motor is not spec'ed to the way it was described.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
2 hits from the same guy?
Maybe his selling privy's should be suspended until he steps up and explains WTF.

This is BS and neither of those sales are chump change.

I have bought from this guy in the past and my item was as described, NIB...a BMR Upper Control Arm mount.

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago, I bought a built longblock from this guy. He claimed it was a low mileage motor, stock compression, built motor.

The motor came in and we found a wood screw wedged into the valves, which we are lucky my shop attempted to turn over the motor by hand before trying to crank it, the motor was much lower compression, and the motor was generally in below average condition. We ended up having to tear it down and rebuild it. To be fair, he did give me a partial refund, but it was not really worth the hassle. I am still using the rebuilt motor today, but its still a sore note that the motor is not spec'ed to the way it was described.

That sucks! At least you got some sort of refund. I learned my lesson! I hate expensive lessons!

2 hits from the same guy?
Maybe his selling privy's should be suspended until he steps up and explains WTF.

This is BS and neither of those sales are chump change.

I have bought from this guy in the past and my item was as described, NIB...a BMR Upper Control Arm mount.

I'm sure that will be something to consider if Brezick isn't confusing sellers.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
50-60 1/4 mile passes

I agree with Dave. It can have only 100 miles on it, if it was really abused at the track. If you are launching riding the clutch for traction, it burns it up very quickly. Sounds like this seller needs to be investigated.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
He's an Alabama fan. Should have never trusted him!

In all seriousness johnny, I'd be very ticked off myself. I am sorry to see this happen to you. Have you tried to contact the seller to see if he could make it right?

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dave. It can have only 100 miles on it, if it was really abused at the track. If you are launching riding the clutch for traction, it burns it up very quickly. Sounds like this seller needs to be investigated.

If you look at my screenshot, he states there is only 100 miles and two passes. However, I'm sure Your estimate, as well as Dave estimate is more accurate.

He's an Alabama fan. Should have never trusted him!

In all seriousness johnny, I'd be very ticked off myself. I am sorry to see this happen to you. Have you tried to contact the seller to see if he could make it right?

I did- Below was his response from yesterday:

burt smith
Jun 3 (1 day ago)

"John,
I'm sorry but it has been over a year and I have no way to know if it's been run or not. I do know for a fact there was nothing wrong with the clutch when I shipped it. Used clutches have burnt spots that's normal. You even said you looked at it when you got it. You should have said something when you first got it if you was unhappy. Being a year later and it being used parts they are sold as is. "

Last edited:

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
Where's the pictures of the clutch discs? Isn't that a true condition of wear?

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to first start by of saying that I will take responsibility for not doing what a buyer should do & that LBSRacing (Burt) to the best of my knowledge, legally owes me nothing- I'm just not happy with the outcome.

This is where I need to take some responsibility has a buyer, because when the clutch came in almost a year ago, all I did was open the box to glance at it to make sure everything was there and intact. I never actually thoroughly looked over the physical clutch. Being that it was a twin disk, I should have taken it apart to check it out. It was a very expensive lesson for me, however, I just want to make other forum members aware in the event they decide to purchase or consider purchasing anything from LBSRACING/Burt.

]

I literally had the exact same thing happen to me, except I waited 7 months and the clutch condition was even worse even though it only had "900 miles and 3-4 1/4 passes". I filed a charge back with my CC company and won. It wasn't easy but I was able to prove it was not my fault and that it wasnt used by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
I literally had the exact same thing happen to me, except I waited 7 months and the clutch condition was even worse even though it only had "900 miles and 3-4 1/4 passes". I filed a charge back with my CC company and won. It wasn't easy but I was able to prove it was not my fault and that it wasnt used by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's good to see that actually filing disputes with CC companies works.
That's what it took for me to get $3600 of my money back on that piece of shit Whipple deal. After it was all said & done, I guess I lost $400...MUCH better than losing the entire $5000. I was happy with the outcome.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly that flywheel and pressure plate look fine, I don't even see any hot spots really.

Huh? What I see looks like toast.

OP, run a straightedge and a feeler gauge around that thing and see if you find any cupping / high spots / low spots. It might just be ugly, but I think you're going to find there is some damage. You might get lucky, but I really think that would be a problem. You might reach out to McLeod and see if you have any options with them. Good luck.

Devcon 7

forum member
Reaction score
Mccleod would rebuild it for you but that clutch doesnt look bad from your pics. Those discs are agressive and will show a bit of wear, please post some better pictures of the discs, pp friction area, and flywheel

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Mccleod would rebuild it for you but that clutch doesnt look bad from your pics. Those discs are agressive and will show a bit of wear, please post some better pictures of the discs, pp friction area, and flywheel

I agree. My spec p trim twin looks alot more abused after 2k miles/4 passes and its a much better clutch than any of mcleods. I will snap a pic for you when I get home but it still drove like butter when pulled a month ago.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some more detailed pictures when I get home from work today. I already installed a new spec clutch. My DD motor went, so my Mustang is my DD for now, so I need it fix asap.

I'll also consider calling my CC company, as well as Mcleods to see if I get anywhere there.

muztangman93

forum member
Reaction score
I know it sucks. I couldnt tell much by the pictures but alot of shops just wont install used clutches. You sound like a genuine guy but in my opinion if you had it a year I dont think its right to file a charge back. If you buy something especially something that expensive once it arrives you should inspect it asap and if you dont know what to look for take it to a shop and have them inspect it. There are alot of shady buyers just as well as shady sellers out there. If people are aloud to do chargebacks on things bought 7 months ago or a year ago I can imagine how many people buy things that you cannot keep track of after being installed. Installing items beating on them then a year later claiming to have never been out of the box they came in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back