Battery/Charging issues with the 2012 Mustang 5.0 GT

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
When I bought our newer Mustang I received a Car Fax report along with the car. Probable 15 or so pages with about six or seven different entrees for check battery or check charging system. The last entree was replaced the battery. When I looked under the hood it looked as if a battery had exploded or the mechanic was very sloppy in removing the battery. There was white residue all around the battery and in a couple of places it had ate through the paint.

Before buying the car I took it to my mechanic and everything checked out OK. Whatever the problem was it had been repaired, just terribly sloppy about it. The negative cable works but shows signs of the same corrosion material.

I've had no problems but today I am having the battery and both cables replaced and the white corrosion material cleaned off. We're entering the car in a car show in about three weeks so getting it ready.

I haven't seen any entries that this has been a problem but just double checking.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Batteries over time will start to leak. The Acids in them along with the air cause something caused Sulfation. That is a corrosive build up of a powder like substance attaching to the terminals. Can not use just water to clean.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
OP, I think it is probably best to replace the cable(s) and terminals (especially if you are showing the car) , but you don't want the expense or hassle go to an auto parts store and get some battery terminal cleaner:
https://www.autozone.com/miscellane...JhK-k4cbxnU0ystThhoCm2YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just spray it on, let it soak, wash it off with water... Then apply the protectant to the terminals:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...3jP_8PgxVccUd3321TRoC_xMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't expect that this was cheap and I wasn't wrong. Us old guys remember battery cables as being separate, one for positive and one for negative. Took three hours to remove the old cable and battery and replace. They cleaned up the tray and other areas that also had the corrosive material. I can see why the car lot took the cheapest way out and made a temporary fix.

Although, the dealer did a hit & miss clean-up of the cable and battery post I could see corrosion forming on the battery post and negative cable again. So had it all replaced. If, you look to the left by the red hose you can see that the negative cable is corroded as were the post. Now, the engine compartment is ready for the upcoming car show.
Mustang wiring .jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back