Best street rotors/pads for the money?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check out Rotorpros:

http://www.rotorpros.net/

I think they use Centric rotors, but you can get the centers painted any color and their prices are great. I got a full set of drilled and slotted rotors and they came with ceramic pads. I still have the rears on, but replaced the fronts with a bbk. Very happy with them. The rears have not rusted after about 3 years, but my car is garage kept and rarely sees rain.

^^This. Same experience. I've been using Rotor Pros for a number of years and am happy with them.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The ones that come with the Rotors. I forgot what they're called, but to be honest, I don't see much difference between them and the HPS+ I ran for a few years as well. Low dust and no noise.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Well after a lot of reading, I went with what I felt was the best bang for the buck setup for new rotors and pads at all 4 corners:

New Rotors: Centric Premium blanks
New pads: Stoptech Street Performance

Ordered from Rock Auto with a 5% coupon code:

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
2012 FORD MUSTANG 5.0L V8
CENTRIC 12061087 (120.61087) Rotor $ 29.89 $ 0.00 2 $ 59.78
CENTRIC 12061098 (120.61098) Rotor $ 58.79 $ 0.00 2 $ 117.58
CENTRIC 30914650 (309.14650) Brake Pad $ 38.79 $ 0.00 2 $ 77.58
CENTRIC 30914630 (309.14630) Brake Pad $ 47.79 $ 0.00 2 $ 95.58
Discount $ -17.53
Shipping Ground $ 29.35
Order Total $ 362.34

EDIT: I'm a dumbass....I just realized I ordered Two sets of brake pads for both the rear and the front! Total Price should have only been about $279!

Now I think I want to add new brake fluid too. Suggestions on the best for both street and preventing overheating?

NOTE: With regards to rotorpros.com there price was $340 but they didnt use the premium centrics and the pads were the cheapest centri-quiet ones. if I wanted the premium rotors they said that was $100 extra. Didn't bother asking about upgrading the pads at that point.

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Kbreeze;2218005 Now I think I want to add new brake fluid too. Suggestions on the best for both street and preventing overheating? [/QUOTE said:
Castrol SRF ..

Torque Brake Fluid tested several brands and showed the Castrol SRF is good stuff.

http://www.torquebrakefluid.com/compare_torque_rt700_to_other_brake_fluids.html

Although I don't like the way the way they skewed their wet boiling points, Torque / Castrol were tested with 1% water content .. Motul was tested with 20% .. the wet standard testing is 3.7% water by volume.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Now I think I want to add new brake fluid too. Suggestions on the best for both street and preventing overheating?
For street use, autocrossing, and drag racing I like the ATE 200 (536° dry, 388° wet). This is the same stuff as the ATE Blue that you may still see reference to (but which was pulled from the market because its color was not within the specifications for brake fluid). In a pinch, you could probably get away with this fluid at a moderately paced track day. One of the nice things about this fluid is that the gradual absorption of moisture does not degrade its boiling point as fast as the fluids that you'll find on the shelves at the mass-market parts stores. Moisture absorption cannot be avoided.

If you ever get out onto the big tracks with any seriousness at all, you'll need to be looking at better stuff. For most folks, Motul RBF600 (593° dry, 421° wet) is the go-to product here.

Norm

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
For street use, autocrossing, and drag racing I like the ATE 200 (536° dry, 388° wet). This is the same stuff as the ATE Blue that you may still see reference to (but which was pulled from the market because its color was not within the specifications for brake fluid). In a pinch, you could probably get away with this fluid at a moderately paced track day. One of the nice things about this fluid is that the gradual absorption of moisture does not degrade its boiling point as fast as the fluids that you'll find on the shelves at the mass-market parts stores. Moisture absorption cannot be avoided.

If you ever get out onto the big tracks with any seriousness at all, you'll need to be looking at better stuff. For most folks, Motul RBF600 (593° dry, 421° wet) is the go-to product here.

Norm

Any reason to not just go with the Motul RBF600 for the street, just for extra piece of mind? Are there any downsides to using racing brake oil on the street? I mean it's only $19 shipped:

Amazon.com: Motul RBF 600 Racing Brake Fluid: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Ywm4XUk-L.@@AMEPARAM@@41Ywm4XUk-L

Getting back to me choice of brake pads, I read reviews all over the net on many different performance car forums, and a lot of people said the Stoptechs are the best street pad for the money. Many had switched from Hawk HPS and liked the Stoptechs much better even though they are less than half the price. There was also a guy who is supposedly an authority on all things brakes who said you can't beat the Stoptechs for the street and even light-moderate track use. The only negative I read is some people complained of the dust. But most said it was no worse than OEM, but a huge upgrade in stopping power and fade resistance compared to OEM.

With regards to the rotors, I really wanted the Frozen rotors, but when you add everything up it just gets really expensive, and almost everyone has good things to say about the Centric premiums, and Rock Auto had a nice price on them, so I "settled" for those.

Also, I debated on getting stainless lines, but wasn't sure if it was worth it...

Last edited:

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Boss 302 lines are a good upgrade and cheaper than stainless. I have them on my car and i definitely felt a firmer, more responsive pedal after I installed them.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Stranoparts' current pricing has ATE200 at $17.50/L and RBF600 at $19.95/half liter or $40/L, and I'm assuming that the same price relationship will hold elsewhere (I'm not an Amazon/ebay/CL shopper).

For about double the price there isn't anything in street driving that needs that much extra fluid margin.

Norm

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...BTW, I'm a dumbass....I just realized I ordered Two sets of brake pads for both the rear and the front! Total Price should have only been about $279!

Just submitted the cancellation on Rockauto site, hopefully they do it before it ships.

Kbreeze

forum member
Reaction score
BTW, I was quoted $240 to install the rotors and pads from a very reputable mobile mechanic who comes to you. Is that kinda steep?

Also, ordered the ATE 200 1L bottle. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Been thinking of changing out my Hawks for either Stoptechs or the EBC's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back