BOSS 302 RWHP - What Is Your Guess?

What is your Boss 302 RWHP Guesstimate?

• Total voters

INDESTRUCTIBLE

Junior Banger
Reaction score
The "track" key runs BOSS302R calibration settings or something close to that from what I understand. The regular key will probably dyno 395-405. The track key is a real mystery and I'm hoping for quite a bit more with it.

So quick question...how is this whole "street/track" key thing gonna impact the tuning of the car, do you have to tune with both keys or will one tune be the permanent tune for both keys...hows will it work? and just to clarify im obviously talking about custom tuning.

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
i hope tuners figure out a way to delete the track key. thats the only part of the car thats retarded to me. so if your at a light or on the hwy and a vette wants a piece you need to pull over, switch keys and then go at it? dumb.

BLKBULLITT

forum member
Reaction score
i hope tuners figure out a way to delete the track key. thats the only part of the car thats retarded to me. so if your at a light or on the hwy and a vette wants a piece you need to pull over, switch keys and then go at it? dumb.

Sorry, But cant you just run the track key all the time?

Atleast thats what id do.. In a way the whole key thing kind of seems BS to me.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
So quick question...how is this whole "street/track" key thing gonna impact the tuning of the car, do you have to tune with both keys or will one tune be the permanent tune for both keys...hows will it work? and just to clarify im obviously talking about custom tuning.

Thats easy you will just run one tune, the emissions compliance is mainly a concern for the automakers and not the consumers.

Nope you will just have one tune, the rumor is that the track key is because the car in that setting is not emissions compliant.

Sorry, But cant you just run the track key all the time?

Atleast thats what id do.. In a way the whole key thing kind of seems BS to me.

Read Above

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score
Nope you will just have one tune, the rumor is that the track key is because the car in that setting is not emissions compliant.

According to the article, the vehicle will house two tunes and are switchable just by the different keys!

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
According to the article, the vehicle will house two tunes and are switchable just by the different keys!

Thats on a stock car, there is no reason to have two tunes on a tuned car. The only reason there is two tunes is because the track tune does not meet emissions standards.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Thats on a stock car, there is no reason to have two tunes on a tuned car. The only reason there is two tunes is because the track tune does not meet emissions standards.
There are multiple reasons to have two tunes on a car. I'd love to replace the red key tune with an E85 tune and keep a gas tune on the regular key. That way one could go from fuel to fuel without having to whip out your Xcal and spend 5 minutes switching tunes.

Same exact scenario would apply for a pump gas vs race gas tune. I'd run a dual tune/key setup in a heartbeat.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
There are multiple reasons to have two tunes on a car. I'd love to replace the red key tune with an E85 tune and keep a gas tune on the regular key. That way one could go from fuel to fuel without having to whip out your Xcal and spend 5 minutes switching tunes.

Same exact scenario would apply for a pump gas vs race gas tune. I'd run a dual tune/key setup in a heartbeat.

We are talking about a stock Boss....getting tuned. Cars having multiple tunes is certainly nothing new, just factory cars having two tunes is.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Exact reason I think it would be pretty awesome.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
We are talking about a stock Boss....getting tuned. Cars having multiple tunes is certainly nothing new, just factory cars having two tunes is.
There is still a lot of information that has yet to been released about what exactly the Red Key is going to give us. Let's think about it for a second. Ford thought out of the box and found a way to supply a higher performance non-emissions legal tune in a 50 state emissions legal car. I think some people are not realizing the fact that the red key tune is supposed to be VERY similar if not identical to the calibration that is supplied with the BOSS302R race car. As a matter of fact, the BOSS302R engines are EXACTLY the same engine that is being put into the street BOSS 302. They are built on the same line. A factory modular motor with a 7500rpm redline that still has tame street manners, has 50 state emissions, includes most of the creature comforts that a lot of us still want these days and with a 3 second key change transforms itself into an 8500rpm (maybe higher) snarling beast. I applaud Ford for continuing to push the envelope for street and track performance in both traditional V8 performance as well as developing high performance alternatives with the Ecoboost line of engines. The Coyote is just a couple of turbos and some direct injection away from blowing everything we have seen before it completely out of the water and I believe if the government doesn't step in and deliver another performance killing blow as they did in the early 70's that nearly killed the mustang and every other muscle/pony car out there that we will see an "ecoboost" coyote that will replace the SC 5.4 4V seen in the GT500.

Now I don't have any covert ops agents over at Ford to confirm the power output, RPM capability, or other specifics but if you read enough of what has been released you can start to put the pieces together.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
There is still a lot of information that has yet to been released about what exactly the Red Key is going to give us. Let's think about it for a second. Ford thought out of the box and found a way to supply a higher performance non-emissions legal tune in a 50 state emissions legal car. I think some people are not realizing the fact that the red key tune is supposed to be VERY similar if not identical to the calibration that is supplied with the BOSS302R race car. As a matter of fact, the BOSS302R engines are EXACTLY the same engine that is being put into the street BOSS 302. They are built on the same line. A factory modular motor with a 7500rpm redline that still has tame street manners, has 50 state emissions, includes most of the creature comforts that a lot of us still want these days and with a 3 second key change transforms itself into an 8500rpm (maybe higher) snarling beast. I applaud Ford for continuing to push the envelope for street and track performance in both traditional V8 performance as well as developing high performance alternatives with the Ecoboost line of engines. The Coyote is just a couple of turbos and some direct injection away from blowing everything we have seen before it completely out of the water and I believe if the government doesn't step in and deliver another performance killing blow as they did in the early 70's that nearly killed the mustang and every other muscle/pony car out there that we will see an "ecoboost" coyote that will replace the SC 5.4 4V seen in the GT500.

Now I don't have any covert ops agents over at Ford to confirm the power output, RPM capability, or other specifics but if you read enough of what has been released you can start to put the pieces together.

The Boss 302R has a 7500 rpm rev limit, the rev limiter isn't what changes. I already said earlier in this thread that the second key exists because the 302R tune is not emissions legal. Having heard and seen one run in person you can tell that the cam timing is changed from the time that you start the car.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I'd seen 8500rpm talked about in a magazine article a while back. Must have been a little exaggeration then. :lol:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I'd seen 8500rpm talked about in a magazine article a while back. Must have been a little exaggeration then. :lol:

I took that video if you look closely you can see the drool dripping from my mouth, that is not rain! :crazy:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
With all the enhancements, 444 hp seems a bit conservative. What are your estimates for bone stock RWHP #'s?

Assume the Track Key

Then post up your bolt-on estimates. Full exhaust, CAI, tune.

The 5.0 is rated at 412 and the Boss is rated at 444 (7400 rpm). That's a ~ 27 RWHP difference "theoretically".

Last choice should be 421+ :rant:

I'm very disappointed in you.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
That way one could go from fuel to fuel without having to whip out your Xcal and spend 5 minutes switching tunes.

Takes about that long to fill up anyway; I just switch the tune while at the gas station filling up with the other fuel.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back