Brake caliper bracket..

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Lol, as an engineer for the biggest oilfield part supplier in the world, I can tell you that we do in fact use factors of safety well below 2. The lowest I've used is a 1.1, and that's a particular standard that's well established. Aerospace commonly used SFs below 1.5 in their applications to save weight.

Are those SFs for parts that see frequent loading and unloading though?

or parts that just see constant force through its life.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Frequent loading and unloading, temperature changes, wind, rain, pressure, vacuum...

All at 1x safety factor.

:(

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Are those SFs for parts that see frequent loading and unloading though?

or parts that just see constant force through its life.

Lol extremely frequent loading and unloading. They're components that are attached in the drill string, subject to all the torsional loading and unloading that the entire drill string is, plus pressure differentials and all other means of loading.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Just for giggles I looked up shipping weight on some 2013 Mustang front calipers.

Base calipers are 8 lbs each, plus 3 lbs each for the brackets. OEM pads 2.5lbs per side.

Four piston Brembos are 8 lbs each with built in brackets. OEM pads 2.5lbs per side.

Six piston Brembos are 9 lbs each with built in brackets. OEM pads 3.5 lbs per side.

Again, those weights are all based off what Ford shows as the packaged weights so those aren't the actual weight of the parts but it does give a fairly good idea what the difference in weight is for the various caliper setups. Rotor weight is something else entirely of course.

-Steve

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Steve, I don't think those numbers are accurate for the Shelby stuff. In the post below, I weighed my '13 Shelby brakes on my scientific bathroom scale. The six piston Brembos are quite a bit heavier than that.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1796942&postcount=43

Nonetheless for the intent of this thread, there are far easier ways to cut weight than caliper brackets.

Paul.

Well like I said I'm just looking at what Ford has listed on their site. Nice to see actual numbers. :)

-Steve

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Just get some fixed 4-6 piston replacement/upgraded calipers with alum brackets and be done. You wont see aluminum floating caliper cages only fixed brackets.

I would rather see a alum spindle IMO

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Magnesium upright

rfc08.jpg

claudermilk

Reaction score
...and money no object. I'll bet what is in that picture is worth as much or more than some of our entire cars.

BLT2BTU

Reaction score
Here's the thing many many cars have lighter brackets... So it's not a case of should... But if have been done... Diff year... Diff make model... Etc

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back