Broke an Idler pulley boss...

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like bad news... I lent out my trq wrench and now that it's returned I was going to change out the belt for a new one. Well... while i was at it I figured it would check to trq of the water pump pulley bolts and a few others. The h20 pump seemed rather loose and wasnt htting the 20lbs of trq easily... so the brainiac I am I tried it on the idler pulley to see if the bolts were just loose. Well, it seems my trq wrench came back busted and would not click... I overtorqued the idler bolt and when I removed it the boss was broken off.

i was able to get the boss back on the cover and was able to re-bolt up the idler. it's the idler above the tensioner and it really doesnt have much belt tension on it.. it's mostly a smooth guide pulley..

So.... everyone here always has good advice... Since the idler re-torqed to 20lbs with my other wrench, do you think it's OK? or do I have to change the cover??? What a dumbass problem the may cost me some big dollars and time....

If I do have the change the cover. how involved is that??

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
got it. cover is coming off. not very hard, but commit 3-4 hours (at least it took me that long). i'd get a repair manual

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Seems like bad news... I lent out my trq wrench and now that it's returned I was going to change out the belt for a new one. Well... while i was at it I figured it would check to trq of the water pump pulley bolts and a few others. The h20 pump seemed rather loose and wasnt htting the 20lbs of trq easily... so the brainiac I am I tried it on the idler pulley to see if the bolts were just loose. Well, it seems my trq wrench came back busted and would not click... I overtorqued the idler bolt and when I removed it the boss was broken off.

i was able to get the boss back on the cover and was able to re-bolt up the idler. it's the idler above the tensioner and it really doesnt have much belt tension on it.. it's mostly a smooth guide pulley..

So.... everyone here always has good advice... Since the idler re-torqed to 20lbs with my other wrench, do you think it's OK? or do I have to change the cover??? What a dumbass problem the may cost me some big dollars and time....

If I do have the change the cover. how involved is that??

How many threads were left in the cover? I can't remember if the boss is threaded or not. If it's just acting as a spacer I'd run it and go from there based on observations.

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
It is threaded but I was able to get the bolt back on to 20ft/lbs torque. The boss is so small and light I cant imagine it holds much. I ordered up all the parts for fixing the issue. $300 for the cover, and all necessary gaskets... thanks Tousley.. If it does run OK, I will make lemonade out of lemons and get the new cover powdercoated to match the valve covers....

Still need to fire it up and see if anything is obviously wrong. I just hate to have the car down during a short NJ summer...

2014_GT

Bowtie Bitch-Slapper
Reaction score
Just a little engineering input here... but the belt's going to have the same tension throughout the entire serpentine system. How much load's on a pulley has to do with the amount and nature of contact between the belt and pulley.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
^ all of it.

More contact=more load.

OP, I got your PM. I opened mine to replace a cam chain tensioner. When I did it, I drained all my fluids. Used the chance to treat it like a complete flush.

You've got a fun project ahead of you lol

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Just took the car for a 40+ mile trip and it seems OK for now. I will collect the necessary parts and make this a winter time project. I only put 1000+ miles on the car each year. Then I can take my time and make it weekend or 3 project. Good part (if any) is the idler has about 10% belt contact. it's the one between the AC pump and alternator. Thanks for the input.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If and when you replace the front cover don't sweat it. You will need a gasket set and front seal. The hardest part is removing the balancer and that's a piece of cake.

CraigNnem

forum member
Reaction score
Hardest part for me was removing the P/S pump & putting it back was even worse.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back