Broken CG Lock?

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So here's the deal, I've gone through multiple CG Locks and ALL of them have broken. I'm now on my 4th one and each time, the side adjustment lever keeps breaking off.

Anyone else experience this? Are there any other companies that make similar products? I really like it while it works, but seriously after having 4 break there has to be a better solution (and they aren't cheap!).

To be honest, I'm tired of returning the darn things.

The problem lies in the tiny little spring attached to the lever, I think it's just inadaquate for HPDE events or even aggressive street driving. I don't believe I'm misusing the product either.

I can post some pix later if anyone is interested.

-Rollo

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
That's not news I want to hear. I'd like to see pictures. Beginning to wish I'd kept the boxes...

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I've had a set (driver's and passenger's side) since '06 and i've had no issues at all. I've gone to 30+ HPDEs and nothing has broken on mine. Some pictures would help.

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AGOQ/dtbK1ycTO2o/s640/IMG_20120307_193231.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/108110990229654604186/Mustang02#5717364699974660178

As I mentioned, the spring that puts tension on the cylinder isn't up to snuff and the lever just falls off!

Again this is my 4th CG lock to have this happen. And I'm not particularly abusive (I don't think). Just use the lever to adjust the tension and after a week or two, the lever gets too much play and the spring no longer serves its function and the lever just spins around.

Seriously I can't be the only person to experience this... Can I ?

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Wow, I must have gotten one of the older CG Locks - I used it for a few years, well over 20 track days and never had a problem with it.

Too bad. I had grown accustomed to recommending these to folks...

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I must have gotten one of the older CG Locks - I used it for a few years, well over 20 track days and never had a problem with it.

Too bad. I had grown accustomed to recommending these to folks...

Ditto only for me it is more than 25 tracks days and 3+ years of DD use.

Infamousjim

forum member
Reaction score
When I first got mine, I went through two within a few weeks of installing them. The second time it broke 2 days before an autocross school, when I called them they offered to overnight me one so I had it in time... I was very happy about that.

I had to mess with the spring a bit to keep it from popping out occasionally, but that usually only happened if I removed the sliding plate on the front.

That all said, I've had it on my car for over a year now and I hate driving any cars without it, even during daily commuting... I've grown very accustomed to being locked in my seat. I would still recommend one... they're pretty simple machines so "tweaking" so it keeps working isn't impossible.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
The manufacturers should provide extra springs with the newer models, looks like.

I have one of the older, short-lever ones and one of the newer, easier-to-adjust ones. Both work fine, so far. Well, maybe the newer one is losing a bit of its grip. Is that a symptom?

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
I think I found out what the issue is. Let me see if I can explain.

So the black bar/pin that the lever/spring assembly is attached to actually has horizontal movement causing the spring to loose it's tension and the lever to fall off.

Does that make sense?

So the bar that goes through the unit had too much play, and the spring pops out of the hole and jiggles around. Can't seem to fix it and like I said, it isn't the first time it's happened or else I'd just think it was a defective unit. But I'm beginning to suspect a design flaw. Either that or I'm grossly misusing it somehow. I do adjust (or did) the tension if I changed my seating position. But it shouldn't have a catastrophic failure like what I've experienced.

Needless to say, I've now got 2 $50 paperweights without the box/return label.

We will see if CG will take them back regardless (I'm sure they are out of warranty by now).

But all in all, don't you think something that acts as a tensioner on a fairly important stress point (your seatbelts) would come with a sturdier spring/mechanism?

Just my thoughts. Also surprised that there really aren't many alternatives aside from going with harnesses

B2B

forum member
Reaction score
I used a set of 3" lap belt (factory 3 points belt over it) instead of the CG-Lock last weekend at TWS with zero problem.

Since i didn't have time to order an extra lap belt for the passenger side, I put the CG-Lock there thinking it was better than nothing. That lasted until the second session where the CG-Lock came completely apart exactly as described earlier.

Fortunately it was just an annoyed passenger instead of the driver. The CG-Lock is going back for good. I'm using 3" lap belts until I'm ready to put in a rollbar and 5 pts harness.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
The issue I had with mine is same as y'all have described. The pin that runs through it is a roll pin and on mine the hole in the handle was a little too large and the handle came off. I found the spring and drilled a small hole in the side of a nut. ( sounds odd) it has worked perfect since. Not to say my new "handle" is the fix as much as the correct size hole. If any of my rambling makes since.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back