Ordering a bunch of products

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering a bunch of detailing products within the next couple days to really make sure my car is looking its best when I take it back out within the next week or so.

I've had the car for about five years now and to be honest the paint still looks very good to this day. I've had the front bumper, hood, few other panels sprayed which have some newer paint but everything still looks very good for a 10 year old car. I would say the swirls on the car are fairly mild.

I have not neglected taking car of the car, as it is garaged in the winters and washed and waxed regularly, but I have never clay bared the car or compunded/polished it myself (had a friend polish it 2 years ago).

My current plan right now:
Clay Bar (any clay bar kit okay? Mother's for ex)
Wheels (use Sonax cleaner, polish, seal)
Compound/Polish
CG Jet Seal
Wax

I'm just a little confused on what products to choose. Right now I have Sonax Wheel Cleaner, CG Maxi Suds II, wheel brush and grit guards purcahsed.

For compound and polish I am a little confused on which to go with. Now my car has minor swirl marks so am I going to need to use something like Meguiar's M105 with the M205 after? Will the M105 be too aggressive or using it won't hurt? Also will the M205 due as a finishing polish? I noticed on that sticky thread chart M205 fell under Medium Polish and Swirl and not final polish. My other choice was thinking of going with V36 for compound and V38 for polish but from what I have seen on here people prefer M105/M205 combo better.

For sealant everything I have read so far seems to point at CG Jet Seal being a very solid choice.

For wax I've been eyeing Butter Wet Wax on CG. Have only used paste but liquid seems like it would be really easy to apply and take off. I'd take suggestions for wax as well though. I don't know how well paste vs liquid will hold up, etc. I don't want to spend $60 on wax either lol.

For the wheels I was planning on getting the drill attachment by Mother's Powerball to apply polish. Would you guys recommend a specific wheel wax or would the jet seal I get for the car work? (Chrome Foose Nitrous Wheels).

Also does anyone have suggestions for restoring the trim around the windows? I've used Back to Black and honestly it doesn't last very long. I was thinking of using trim paint but to remove the trim would I have to replace the seal or no? I was also thinking of plasti dip maybe working okay.

Last edited:

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score

You don't really need a kit, I use CG light and medium clays depending on the level of surface contaminants.

Depends on your wheel type. Sonax Full Effect is a good cleaner. I've applied a wheel coating after using wheelwax for years.

Compound/Polish

M105 followed by M205

CG Jet Seal

I think Jet Seal is a bit overrated. Coating technology has come a long way and I don't use sealants or waxes anymore. Many products on the market like C-Quartz, Sonax PNS, Polish Angel, GTechniq, etc.
Wax

For compound and polish I am a little confused on which to go with. Now my car has minor swirl marks so am I going to need to use something like Meguiar's M105 with the M205 after? Will the M105 be too aggressive or using it won't hurt? Also will the M205 due as a finishing polish? I noticed on that sticky thread chart M205 fell under Medium Polish and Swirl and not final polish. My other choice was thinking of going with V36 for compound and V38 for polish but from what I have seen on here people prefer M105/M205 combo better.

M105 is a good polish but will probably leave you with a little marring. M205 takes this out and I usually finish polishing with it. If I'm feeling OCD I'll follow with Menzerna SF 4500.

For sealant everything I have read so far seems to point at CG Jet Seal being a very solid choice.

It's a bit overrated for the price and durability.

For wax I've been eyeing Butter Wet Wax on CG. Have only used paste but liquid seems like it would be really easy to apply and take off. I'd take suggestions for wax as well though. I don't know how well paste vs liquid will hold up, etc. I don't want to spend $60 on wax either lol.

My go to waxes for a while were CG Pete's 53 and Lava. Neither was too expensive, but I've gone the coating route. Lava paired well with CG Blacklight but I actually preferred the depth of Pete's 53.

For the wheels I was planning on getting the drill attachment by Mother's Powerball to apply polish. Would you guys recommend a specific wheel wax or would the jet seal I get for the car work? (Chrome Foose Nitrous Wheels).

Poorboys Wheel Sealant or CG wheel wax if you don't want to use an actual coating

Also does anyone have suggestions for restoring the trim around the windows? I've used Back to Black and honestly it doesn't last very long. I was thinking of using trim paint but to remove the trim would I have to replace the seal or no? I was also thinking of plasti dip maybe working okay.

Carpro Perl diluted 3:1 with water for all exterior plastics

28ONE

Reaction score

You don't really need a kit, I use CG light and medium clays depending on the level of surface contaminants.

Depends on your wheel type. Sonax Full Effect is a good cleaner. I've applied a wheel coating after using wheelwax for years.

Compound/Polish

M105 followed by M205

CG Jet Seal

I think Jet Seal is a bit overrated. Coating technology has come a long way and I don't use sealants or waxes anymore. Many products on the market like C-Quartz, Sonax PNS, Polish Angel, GTechniq, etc.
Wax

M105 is a good polish but will probably leave you with a little marring. M205 takes this out and I usually finish polishing with it. If I'm feeling OCD I'll follow with Menzerna SF 4500.

It's a bit overrated for the price and durability.

My go to waxes for a while were CG Pete's 53 and Lava. Neither was too expensive, but I've gone the coating route. Lava paired well with CG Blacklight but I actually preferred the depth of Pete's 53.

Poorboys Wheel Sealant or CG wheel wax if you don't want to use an actual coating

Carpro Perl diluted 3:1 with water for all exterior plastics

^ I agree

For trim and wheels, I suggest using Carpro Dlux Coating.

As for your sealant, forget Jetseal (old technology), Sonax Polymer Net Shield with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. This stuff is amazing!

Since you're going to compound/polish I would apply a coating - forget wax and sealant. Coating will easily give you a year of protection. If you can apply a wax, you can apply a coating. Here are some I like:

Optiumum Glosscoat
Blackfire Crystal Coat
CAR Bulletproof
Cquartz UK

Polish Angel Glasscoat Cosmic (this is what I have - idiot proof application)

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
Wow awesome replies guys thank you.

For the M105 though should I be okay with starting with that or do you only apply it unless it is absolutely needed because of how aggressive it is? Or can I just do it regardless and not exp any ill effects from it?

I wasn't even aware of coatings until now. This makes things even more confusing haha. How long do most last? And what kind of maintaince work do you do in between applications? Aside from just washing the car. Can they be applied to the wheels as well? Sounds very cool though. Are there any websites that explain the pros and cons of them versus sealants and waxes? And is Sonax PNS a coating? Thought I saw that somewhere.

Even for sealants and waxes, I thought you apply the sealant and then the wax on top but it sounds like people just do one or the other.

How long would you guys say the car pro trim products last as well? My exp using other products after one wash they are gone haha.

28ONE

Reaction score

For the M105 though should I be okay with starting with that or do you only apply it unless it is absolutely needed because of how aggressive it is? Or can I just do it regardless and not exp any ill effects from it?

I wasn't even aware of coatings until now. This makes things even more confusing haha. How long do most last? And what kind of maintaince work do you do in between applications? Aside from just washing the car. Can they be applied to the wheels as well? Sounds very cool though. Are there any websites that explain the pros and cons of them versus sealants and waxes? And is Sonax PNS a coating? Thought I saw that somewhere.

Even for sealants and waxes, I thought you apply the sealant and then the wax on top but it sounds like people just do one or the other.

How long would you guys say the car pro trim products last as well? My exp using other products after one wash they are gone haha.

Here you go:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/the-benefits-of-a-paint-coating/

My paint, wheels, glass and trim are all coated...I've had Cosmic on my GT for 6 months now - Dlux on my plastic trim has been going on for 6+ months...

Here's when I had CQuartz UK on my paint - this is how water reacts on a coated car

Waxes look better but attract dust. Sealants last longer but doesn't give you that pop a wax will. Coatings are the shit! - requires prep work though...

Always start with a test spot - least aggresive first. Use M205 and polishing pad, does it remove swirls to your satisfaction? no then M105 with a cut pad...

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score

Exactly like 28ONE said. Aside from Coatings Sonax PNS is probably one of my favorite products on the market. It is technically a sealant it acts as a coating. When I applied SPNS it appeared to darken the paint, in my opinion. SPNS will also last atleast 6 months on your paint vs most coatings are a year plus. The thing with SPNS is though is one can will get you multiple applications vs a coating is one time. OH and you can use SPNS on your window trim as well ;)

Also like 28ONE said Wax attracts dust. I have some very nice waxes and i love them on the car but SPNS or a Coating is the way to go anymore.

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
Wow sounds awesome. It's so strange I have not heard much about this before although I am never on detailing forums haha. For my car though with Sonax PNS being cheaper and lasting around 6 months would you guys agree that for someone who drives the car mid May to October (garaged in New York winters) at the latest make more sense? After this initial compound and polish for each year when I go to take the car back out would I still want to do a clay and m205 followed with SPNS? Only m205 assuming I won't have too many swirls after this go around and protection.

It seems you need to polish before applying coatings only, does this apply to SPNS as well? (Doesn't matter because I am regardless but just curious)

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
Wow sounds awesome. It's so strange I have not heard much about this before although I am never on detailing forums haha. For my car though with Sonax PNS being cheaper and lasting around 6 months would you guys agree that for someone who drives the car mid May to October (garaged in New York winters) at the latest make more sense? After this initial compound and polish for each year when I go to take the car back out would I still want to do a clay and m205 followed with SPNS? Only m205 assuming I won't have too many swirls after this go around and protection.

It seems you need to polish before applying coatings only, does this apply to SPNS as well? (Doesn't matter because I am regardless but just curious)

With either product you cant go wrong. I think coatings add extra protection.

Technically you do not have to correct the paint prior to either application but its dumb not to. Why put a coating, sealant, or wax on a car with swirls and imperfections? You put all this protection on a car for all the faults to still show?

28ONE

Reaction score

Yes it's a best practice to polish before apply coatings - think of it as icing on the cake. if I have swirls, they'll show through the coating...

Sonax PNS is an awesome product, just be sure the get the brilliant shine detailer too. Based on your needs, Sonax is a perfect fit for you...

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
Sonax sounds like an awesome option for myself. What if during Septemberish I notice it wearing off, you can't re apply it unless you polish again obviously so would I want to wait until next year when I re polish to apply it again? Or should you just do a coating to not run into that issue?

28ONE

Reaction score
Sonax sounds like an awesome option for myself. What if during Septemberish I notice it wearing off, you can't re apply it unless you polish again obviously so would I want to wait until next year when I re polish to apply it again? Or should you just do a coating to not run into that issue?

No you can reapply - keep in mind as long as your wash/dry technique is on point, there should be no reason you would need to polish because you haven't created more swirls. Even with a coating, one can create swirls.

datsyuk

forum member
Reaction score
No you can reapply - keep in mind as long as your wash/dry technique is on point, there should be no reason you would need to polish because you haven't created more swirls. Even with a coating, one can create swirls.

Thank you all very much. You have answered every possible question I had about this stuff haha. I went ahead and got myself M105/M205, and Sonax PNS. I'll be sure to get Sonax BSD in the next week or so!

I know Dlux is a coating for the trim which you recommended, will it provide shine and protect or just protect?

Still trying to figure out which polish to choose for the wheels and what cleaner I should on the tires before applying dressing to it.

Last edited:

28ONE

Reaction score
Thank you all very much. You have answered every possible question I had about this stuff haha. I went ahead and got myself M105/M205, and Sonax PNS. I'll be sure to get Sonax BSD in the next week or so!

I know Dlux is a coating for the trim which you recommended, will it provide shine and protect or just protect?

Check post 54...
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114344&page=3

little bit of shine and protection. Also, use these - exfoliating cotton rounds to apply Dlux - the suede doesn't work very well in my experience...

Amazon.com : Swisspers Premium Exfoliating Cotton Rounds, 80 Count : Makeup Removers : Beauty@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412btuxo6DL.@@AMEPARAM@@412btuxo6DL

or

https://shop.riteaid.com/salon-plus-cotton-rounds-premium-80-cotton-rounds-8008601

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
Also if youre willing to fork up the cash... Id recommend getting the nanoskin Clay bar and use ONR as your lube. That thing is absolutely amazing!

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
To add to that... I used mine on my Flex 3401. I did my whole car in about 15 min. It takes it just a sec or two to remove pretty much anything. Just keep the area wet with the ONR and youre golden. Also, the medium nanoskin is what I used. It had no trouble with it not removing anything from the paint. It also doesnt hurt that you can get up to 50 uses out of it so youre actually getting a better deal with it than a traditional claybar as youd spend way more on claybars than the nanoskin in the long run. Its honestly a no brainer to me

28ONE

Reaction score
To add to that... I used mine on my Flex 3401. I did my whole car in about 15 min. It takes it just a sec or two to remove pretty much anything. Just keep the area wet with the ONR and youre golden. Also, the medium nanoskin is what I used. It had no trouble with it not removing anything from the paint. It also doesnt hurt that you can get up to 50 uses out of it so youre actually getting a better deal with it than a traditional claybar as youd spend way more on claybars than the nanoskin in the long run. Its honestly a no brainer to me

Try it with Nanoskin Glide!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back