Camping equipment

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a little help here regarding camping equipment. My wife and I are heading to Yosemite for 3 days this weekend and I've been trying to get us some camping gear before we leave. I'll just leave this as a general all around camping equipment thread. I got some knife help from the guy at big 5 and ended up with a CRT life that was in sale for half off. I don't own any knives or know quality but just wanted something OK for stuff I might need to use it for out there. Wasn't looking to spend over $100 for a good knife just yet but probably would in the near future since I'd like to get into camping.

Got some cheaper $12 sale binoculars with a 10x zoom over a 12x zoom also. Like I said, I can upgrade to a good pair of binoculars down the line.

I need help with a sleeping bag. I want a 0 degrees bag and was debating between a mummy bag or a regular bag. Guy at big 5 said I'd be a tight fit in a mummy bag. Weather won't get that low there but I want to be prepared for any future camping trips.

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Big Agnes camping gear. Love their sleeping bag/pad system.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'll take a look at them. Hoping to place an order through amazon today so I can get it here Saturday the latest (prime membership 2 day shipping).

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
If you are not a young fellow anymore, invest in a decent air mattress that will fit in your tent. You can thank me later :) Sleeping on the ground sucks.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
The site we have has a 3 wall "room" with a bed on site. I still wanted to take a tent, but the wife didn't like the idea

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How often do you think you'll go camping? Buy quality accordingly. If you camp just a little, buy cheap. If you plan to camp a lot, buy the nicer more expensive gear.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used to backpack and camp a lot when I was younger.

It really depends on a lot of factors. Are you doing campground stuff or are you actually hiking in the backcountry?

If you are backpacking/camping then weight and size of items are a concern. If just sticking to the campsite and doing day hikes from there, you can go cheaper. You can do an air mattress in the tent or some cots that sit off the ground.

Check the weather for this weekend and plan accordingly.

Headlamps for when you have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.
Propane tanks (the small ones) for heaters and lights.
FIREWOOD. Because no campsite is complete without a huge campfire (if allowed).
propane grill.
FOOD. lots of FOOD.
Depending where you are, bug spray
For me, I need a good hat to prevent sunburn.

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
How often do you think you'll go camping? Buy quality accordingly. If you camp just a little, buy cheap. If you plan to camp a lot, buy the nicer more expensive gear.

Exactly what I got to thinking before spending almost $200 per sleeping bag haha. I ended up getting some cheaper 20 degree mummy bags that were 30% off at sports authority, plus I took one of the displays, so the worker gave me an extra discount. Ended up getting both for about half off which should be good for now. That's until I get a truck, then I plan on camping a lot more often.
I used to backpack and camp a lot when I was younger.

It really depends on a lot of factors. Are you doing campground stuff or are you actually hiking in the backcountry?

If you are backpacking/camping then weight and size of items are a concern. If just sticking to the campsite and doing day hikes from there, you can go cheaper. You can do an air mattress in the tent or some cots that sit off the ground.

Check the weather for this weekend and plan accordingly.

Headlamps for when you have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.
Propane tanks (the small ones) for heaters and lights.
FIREWOOD. Because no campsite is complete without a huge campfire (if allowed).
propane grill.
FOOD. lots of FOOD.
Depending where you are, bug spray
For me, I need a good hat to prevent sunburn.
Thanks for all that info! I saw some pics you had posted in the climbing Everest thread and that seems pretty damn cool. Can't take our own wood into our camp, but can buy the wood there. That's the part I'm looking forward to the most.

Lol, me too.

Me three! I've gotten some pretty bad sunburns over the years. One really bad one where my head peeled like strips of leather. I never learn though, and just got a similar, not as bad, burn a month ago at a car show down south. Definitely packing some hats.

Last edited:

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sunglasses (maybe more than one pair, just in case)
camp chair (sitting on a stump gets old)
mosquito repellant (the really good stuff, with Deet, maybe Deep Woods Off)
soap (what sort of wash facilities are there?)
hand sanitizer
fishing gear?
cast-iron skillet (an absolute must for camping)
fleece blanket (I usually keep mine spread out in my sleeping bag and rolled up with it)
small camping pillow
bear mace (?)
big handgun (?)
leatherman
fire making kit (?)
handkerchief (very useful for many things)
550 cord
water proof rain poncho

The list goes on and on... honestly it depends on how much you are roughing it AND how much driving you have to do to get there (if the camp has semi-permanent cabins and beds but take a 4 hour drive through the wilderness, bring something in case things go wrong before you get there, etc). Oh, most importantly:

BOOZE

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back