Can anyone help with amplifier whine / whistle?

IA_Chiefs_fan

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer DEH-P800PRS HU. I'm getting whine or whistle coming through my mids and highs which are powered by a Pioneer GM-6200F amp. When the key is in accessory position I get no whine, when I turn it to on but don't start the car I get lots of whine, when I start the car it is so loud I'm afraid it will damage the speakers. I've had this system for quite some time and this just happened out of the blue. I have already tried a different HU and it didn't help. I've tried to replace the amp and it didn't help. I've tried different RCAs, Power wire, ground wire, ground location. I've also tried unplugging each of the speaker connections at the amp one at a time and it didn't help. When I tried to hook a speaker directly to the speaker leads on the back of the HU there was no whine. My car is torn apart, and I'm at a loss. If someone can give me some ideas I'd sure appreciate it.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
do you have the power wire and the RCA's run side by side? If you do, that will cause the engine noise.

IA_Chiefs_fan

forum member
Reaction score
do you have the power wire and the RCA's run side by side? If you do, that will cause the engine noise.
RCA's down the drivers side & Power down the passengers side. It has worked up until all the other day. I'm at a loss.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
the only other thing i can think of is that you are not making good contact on the ground wire. Try using a scraper on the spot you choose so there is no paint or anything obstructing contact with the metal itself.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wrong section.... moved to Tunes

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
i don't know exactly how you have your radio wired but here's is my experience with pioneer radios and the whine noise.

2 of the last ones ive had started getting noise going through the speakers.
redoing the ground fixed it initially for a few months but it came back.
did everything in the book including a ground loop isolator.

what finally fixed it was literally grounding a RCA jack....
never really figured out what caused it but only thing i could figure was the ground internally started breaking up.

IA_Chiefs_fan

forum member
Reaction score
i don't know exactly how you have your radio wired but here's is my experience with pioneer radios and the whine noise.

never really figured out what caused it but only thing i could figure was the ground internally started breaking up.
Did it happen even when the car wasn't started? That's what really has me confused.

KoolerSL2

Serve and Protect
Reaction score
did happen with engine off but just when the fuel pump primed and if the headlights were on.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
When i had a System in my T-Bird i had the same whine, it was solved by installing a simple passive noise filter between the HU and the Amps.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Did it happen even when the car wasn't started? That's what really has me confused.

I stumbled across this not too long ago and between your problem and what Kooler was describing, I think this might be it. Have a look and see what you think.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Did you have the whine even without the car started?

NO whine unless engine it spinning. your cables are picking up the harmonic vibration and transfering them to the power amp. I supose it could be a ground issue too but a noise filter is cheap and easy way to trouble shoot.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why but this link you posted worked http://www.caraudio.com/forum/wirin...-engine-whine-ground-loop-fixes-take-two.html
I soldered the wires to each RCA jack and the noise is gone. WTF?

I came across that thread a few months ago looking for Big 3 info and had considered that trick because I use a Pioneer HU. I've never had that problem, but at the time I figured it couldn't hurt anything to do it, but I never did. Then when you described your problem, I remembered it and looked it up. Glad it worked out for you. :beerchug2:

IA_Chiefs_fan

forum member
Reaction score
I came across that thread a few months ago looking for Big 3 info and had considered that trick because I use a Pioneer HU. I've never had that problem, but at the time I figured it couldn't hurt anything to do it, but I never did. Then when you described your problem, I remembered it and looked it up. Glad it worked out for you. :beerchug2:
Thank you very much!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back